IGNORED

Mods for the 2600

JJohnson

8 hours ago, JJohnson said:

Has anyone added more RAM directly to a 2600 before?

No, because it wouldn't serve any purpose.
None of the existing games would use the extra ram, and a developer programming a game for such a modified unit would reduce the potential user base down to about 5 people (worldwide).
Developers who need additional resources add extra hardware into the cartridge itself, so that the game will work on any 2600 console.

14 hours ago, JJohnson said:

I've heard of the UAV mod, and there's the starcart tape game thing that adds more memory to the unit.  Has anyone added more RAM directly to a 2600 before?

While the question on extra RAM has been answered there are a few other mods or upgrades you can get on a 2600:

- UAV (Composite and s-video output) which, you already mentioned

- RGB (Depending on how you configure it and what you buy, you can get RGB, Composite, S-video, & Component). Also provides pause/unpause feature if extra button is added to the system

- Winz (Has a board upgrade that also provides for s-video, composite, and I believe the pause/unpause) I've not installed this myself as yet

- Standalone pause/unpause (This feature can be added by itself as a dedicated mod)

That is what I can think of off the top of my head that I'm immediately aware of.

13 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

While the question on extra RAM has been answered there are a few other mods or upgrades you can get on a 2600:

- UAV (Composite and s-video output) which, you already mentioned

- RGB (Depending on how you configure it and what you buy, you can get RGB, Composite, S-video, & Component). Also provides pause/unpause feature if extra button is added to the system

- Winz (Has a board upgrade that also provides for s-video, composite, and I believe the pause/unpause) I've not installed this myself as yet

- Standalone pause/unpause (This feature can be added by itself as a dedicated mod)

That is what I can think of off the top of my head that I'm immediately aware of.

Cool stuff.  Is pause that useful for the Atari 2600?  Could the Color/B&W switch/button be repurposed for the pause?

39 minutes ago, JJohnson said:

Cool stuff.  Is pause that useful for the Atari 2600?  Could the Color/B&W switch/button be repurposed for the pause?

You could but then what would you do about games that use that switch for additional functions?