IGNORED

Season 19

asponge

The next season will start up within a few weeks.  In the meantime please post any specific titles you'd like included.  I'd like to do something different and vote on a game list before we start the season.  I try to mix up the genres and occasionally throw in an oddball, but maybe there are some titles that everyone is itching to compete in.  If so, let's get those on the roster.

I was also kicking around the idea of posting a selection of arcade classics to play alongside the standard rounds.  This would be similar to what we did with the sports games in season 17, but instead of bonus points I'd keep a scoreboard for each individual game and score them like normal rounds at the end of the season.  If that sounds like fun please let me know and also post your favorites.  If that sounds terrible and you want to keep the format as-is then please make that known as well.  All feedback is appreciated.

UPDATE:

I think we've compiled enough suggestions and we're ready to vote. Several game suggestions are excluded due to one of the following reasons:  it doesn't keep an overall score, it is impossible or overly difficult to obtain a cart or rom, or it's not playable on the the NES/Famicom.

Please choose 10-15 NES titles and 5 arcade titles you would like to play this season.  List them however you want.  They don't need to be in any particular order.  If you want to vote in an arcade title for the regular NES season that's fine too.

Voting will close next week on Friday April 16th at 11:59 PM CDT.

As long as everything goes smoothly, season 19 will begin on Sunday the 18th!

NES/Famicom:

Adventures of Dino Riki
American Gladiators
Archon
Batman
Bayou Billy
Bram Stoker’s Dracula
BreakThru
Bucky O'Hare
Chase HQ
Cobra Triangle
Double Dragon
Dr. Mario
Duck Tales
Falsion
Gun – Nac
Iron Tank
Ironsword
Kid Icarus
Kid Niki – Radical Ninja
Kung Fu
Legendary Wings

Mad City
Metal Storm
Mighty Bomb Jack
Monster in my Pocket
Pin*Bot
Rad Racer
RBI Baseball
RC Pro-Am
RollerGames
Salamander
SCAT
Solomon's Key
Space Harrier
Twinbee 3
Vice – Project Doom
Yoshi
Zen Intergalgctic Ninja

Arcade:

Bad Dudes
Bump n’ Jump
Burgertime
Cabal
City Connection
Defender II
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Elevator Action
Exerion
Fantasy Zone
Galaga
Galaxian
Gaplus
Gyruss
Ikari Warriors
Jackal
Joust
Karnov
The Legend of Kage
Off Road
Pac Man
Palamedes
Pooyan
Popeye
Q-Bert
Rampart
Roadrunner
Shinobi
Smash TV
Xevious

• Like 4

1 hour ago, asponge said:

I was also kicking around the idea of posting a selection of arcade classics to play alongside the standard rounds.  This would be similar to what we did with the sports games in season 17, but instead of bonus points I'd keep a scoreboard for each individual game and score them like normal rounds at the end of the season.

I like this idea! Arcade games are arguably designed for points, and they're so easy to pick up and play. It'll give me another reason to bust out the ol' NES advantage. I'll think about some games for the season too.

My all-time fav NES game is Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, although I was thinking it would be really hard to compete in it. For one, even tho there are points (which basically count towards winning by decision), the score disappears as soon as you win, and without a way to pause, pictures would be pretty hard on original hardware. Considering this, we could get creative. First, honor system obviously. Second, fitting in with the season-long idea for arcade games, we could pick certain opponents (those you can get straight to with a code would work nicely), and just compete to see how many points you can get by beating the ever living snot out of each one. Times are also displayed after certain matches, so that's an idea as well. Tho that's less of a "high score club" and more a speed-run thing, so I'm on the fence.

2 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

I like this idea! Arcade games are arguably designed for points, and they're so easy to pick up and play. It'll give me another reason to bust out the ol' NES advantage. I'll think about some games for the season too.

My all-time fav NES game is Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, although I was thinking it would be really hard to compete in it. For one, even tho there are points (which basically count towards winning by decision), the score disappears as soon as you win, and without a way to pause, pictures would be pretty hard on original hardware. Considering this, we could get creative. First, honor system obviously. Second, fitting in with the season-long idea for arcade games, we could pick certain opponents (those you can get straight to with a code would work nicely), and just compete to see how many points you can get by beating the ever living snot out of each one. Times are also displayed after certain matches, so that's an idea as well. Tho that's less of a "high score club" and more a speed-run thing, so I'm on the fence.

Yeah MTPO would have to be played for best times instead of points. I like the arcade games idea too.

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah MTPO would have to be played for best times instead of points. I like the arcade games idea too.

Something I love about MTPO is that there are so many ways to play it. Going for time, points, TKO vs KO (well, most boxers), finding the stars, limiting your heart uses... I just love the game :D

Just don't make me play it with the power glove. That is totally bad ?

12 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Something I love about MTPO is that there are so many ways to play it. Going for time, points, TKO vs KO (well, most boxers), finding the stars, limiting your heart uses... I just love the game :D

Just don't make me play it with the power glove. That is totally bad ?

About the new username, it's a long story. I did a fresh re-install of Firefox today to fix a glitch and then I couldn't get back into my account with the password I have written down. Not to mention my mbd30 account was created in 2006 with a now defunct email address and I couldn't get a new password sent to my current email. So I had to make a new account. It's been a nightmare.

• Sad 1

I second the suggestion of Jackal.  I prefer Mad City over The Adventures of Bayou Billy because of the driving stages.  I'll think of some other suggestions and post them soon.

I vote against playing MTPO for time.  This is a high score club and the game does track points.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bubufubu said:

I second the suggestion of Jackal.  I prefer Mad City over The Adventures of Bayou Billy because of the driving stages.  I'll think of some other suggestions and post them soon.

I vote against playing MTPO for time.  This is a high score club and the game does track points.

I love Bayou Billy, but the driving stages are the worst part. It actually pays to take it slow and risk losing a life from running out of time rather than lose a bunch of lives from going too fast.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I love Bayou Billy, but the driving stages are the worst part. It actually pays to take it slow and risk losing a life from running out of time rather than lose a bunch of lives from going too fast.

That's why I am suggesting Mad City instead.  Because of how much it hurts your hands to play those two stages, the makers of Mad City were much smarter in giving the player a health bar.  Why make things more hellish on AtariAge users by asking them to play the localization.

On 3/25/2021 at 2:15 AM, Mister-VCS said:

Donkey Kong and Jr.

MT Punch Out

Pac Man

Rad Racer

Double Dragon 3

Popeye

Chase HQ

I second Donkey Kong and Popeye as suggestions.  Two classic games that are great for score challenges.

We recently did Donkey Kong Jr. (April, 2020).

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 4:22 PM, asponge said:

I was also kicking around the idea of posting a selection of arcade classics to play alongside the standard rounds.  This would be similar to what we did with the sports games in season 17, but instead of bonus points I'd keep a scoreboard for each individual game and score them like normal rounds at the end of the season.  If that sounds like fun please let me know and also post your favorites.  If that sounds terrible and you want to keep the format as-is then please make that known as well.  All feedback is appreciated.

I'm onboard with this idea.  As far as scoring for the arcade classics, do you mean that you would score them like you did with Contra (Stage 1, Lowest Score) in Season 18?  I'm fine with however you decide to score them; I'm merely asking for clarity.

8 hours ago, bubufubu said:

@fakecortex  Don't get me wrong.  I love the game.  It's one of my favorites.  But if catching the score is gonna be a pain for those who play on a console instead of using an emulator (which makes a huge difference), then I think it's better to pass on it.

I hear ya. I'm cool with whatever @asponge decides. Totally agreed on the emulator bit tho. I can't play it on modern tvs either (well, I keep all my classic gaming to crt, but this game in particular really needs it).

• Like 1

A few I’d like to revisit.  Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think they all work well in regards to keeping scores.

• Xevious – one of my all time favorites.  Used to be able to max the score on NES, 7800, and Arcade versions
  • Iron Tank
  • Bump n’ Jump
  • Gun – Nac
  • Cabal
  • Rad Racer
  • Kung Fu
  • Legenday Wings
  • Ironsword – be neat to revisit, even though W&W wasn’t the biggest hit for everyone last round.  Plus, this one has Fabio on the cover, so you know it's gonna be butter... er... better

I don’t have a lot of familiarity with these, but spent a few mins checking out various games on my flash cart today, and they stuck out as games I’d like to play a bit, and HSC seems like a great excuse/motivation to spend some time with them.

• Adventures of Dino Riki
  • Cobra Triangle
  • Elevator Action (only familiar with the arcade version)
  • Kid Niki – Radical Ninja
  • Shinobi  (familiar with the arcade and Master System versions)
  • Vice – Project Doom
  • Bram Stoker’s Dracula – this seems like it really has the potential to suck big time, but in my short playtest this AM, I was really having fun with the opening level

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

A few I’d like to revisit.  Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think they all work well in regards to keeping scores.

• Xevious – one of my all time favorites.  Used to be able to max the score on NES, 7800, and Arcade versions
  • Iron Tank
  • Bump n’ Jump
  • Gun – Nac
  • Cabal
  • Rad Racer
  • Kung Fu
  • Legenday Wings
  • Ironsword – be neat to revisit, even though W&W wasn’t the biggest hit for everyone last round.  Plus, this one has Fabio on the cover, so you know it's gonna be butter... er... better

I don’t have a lot of familiarity with these, but spent a few mins checking out various games on my flash cart today, and they stuck out as games I’d like to play a bit, and HSC seems like a great excuse/motivation to spend some time with them.

• Adventures of Dino Riki
  • Cobra Triangle
  • Elevator Action (only familiar with the arcade version)
  • Kid Niki – Radical Ninja
  • Shinobi  (familiar with the arcade and Master System versions)
  • Vice – Project Doom
  • Bram Stoker’s Dracula – this seems like it really has the potential to suck big time, but in my short playtest this AM, I was really having fun with the opening level

I wouldn't mind playing Bump n Jump again. I did well last time we played. I'm also one of the few who can beat the game.

I also second Rad Racer, Kung Fu, Legendary Wings, Cobra Triangle and Vice Project Doom. Some good picks there.