IGNORED

CX-40 or similar on PC for Altirra

oo7

I can no longer seem to find CX-40 clones with a USB plug. That being said Im thinking of using real CX-40s with an adapter.

Im probably going to get a USB joystick encoder and solder a db-9 to it. Logically this would be good. right?

I mean it seems to be the best current option. Dont seem to see USB joysticks or adapters for sale anymore.

40 minutes ago, hwrd said:

I found the throw on the sticks too large, some of the sticks wouldn't stay tight, the shaft wouldn't handle much abuse before snapping at the screw point. If this has changed it would be amazing.

Edited by _The Doctor__

2 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

But these are 9 pin, not USB.

They do make a USB version:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R23BTZ9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1UVTGP6WV0D1P&psc=1

I was considering this, but reviews are iffy.

FWIW, I bought one of the iCode adapters, but returned it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QGFXH8J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When it worked, it was fine (only one button, so no 7800 support until a later firmware release). My problem is that basically every time I'd boot my PC I'd have to go and reset everything, it kept thinking my sticks were paddles. It was just a pain.  I kept having to go into the windows control panel and juggle this vs. my usb ps2 controller as well, I found certain games & emulators kept getting messed up.  It was a lot of maintenance.  Still, it did a lot - if you want 2 ports, paddle support, etc it might be a good option.

42 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

That looks pretty nice - anyone have feedback on those?

Yes. I have used one for years on Altirra and Atari800MacX. It works very well and I think it is well made. I have an older model (2600-daptor II) that I purchased a few years ago. 

Bob C

• Like 1

11 hours ago, darwinmac said:

Yes. I have used one for years on Altirra and Atari800MacX. It works very well and I think it is well made. I have an older model (2600-daptor II) that I purchased a few years ago. 

Bob C

There are also cheaper 2-joystick to USB adapters on EBay but the one I tried did not work on Mac and - if that‘s important to you - doesn‘t support paddles or other special controllers.