IGNORED

The sequel with no first game (and other sequel rarities)

I was going to mention the Wonder Boy mess myself, but @jgkspsx did a much better job of laying it out than I ever could.

One thing I've always found fascinatingly weird with regard to the three TurboGrafx releases:

The first game, Monster Lair, was of course a launch title for the TGCD add-on.

Next, Dragon's Curse but on TurboChip.

Lastly, Dynastic Hero back to CD again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glazball said:

I was going to mention the Wonder Boy mess myself, but @jgkspsx did a much better job of laying it out than I ever could.

One thing I've always found fascinatingly weird with regard to the three TurboGrafx releases:

The first game, Monster Lair, was of course a launch title for the TGCD add-on.

Next, Dragon's Curse but on TurboChip.

Lastly, Dynastic Hero back to CD again.

I don't think I could ever get myself to call TG-16 HuCards, TurboChips... I still just call them HuCards. Kind of like how I never call Nintendo cartridge games "game paks". lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a mildly good deal on a copy of Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever because neither I nor the seller realized that Ecks vs Sever, which is more common, was not the same game. Ecks vs Sever came out a full year before the dog of a movie did and had nothing to do with the plot of the movie at all. Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever (which in Europe was more sensibly titled Ecks vs Sever II) came out immediately after the terrible movie did, and followed the basic plot of the movie more or less. (Or so I am told, because I am not going to watch that thing.)

It is probably the only example of a pair of GBA movie tie-in games, one of of which was developed before the developers even knew what the plot of the movie was, being a whole world better than the movie they are based on.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The sequel to Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD)

is The Mansion of Hidden Souls (Saturn):

Is that the only sequel that just adds the definite article to distinguish itself?

The person who did those playthroughs wryly observed in the comments that it was a shame that the third game, A Mansion of Hidden Souls, never happened. Hmmm, I wonder who owns the IP?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wow, nothing will ever top that epic Wonder Boy / Adventure Island post; glad I checked this out.

In the spirit of the thread, I do have an entry to submit.

Stellar 7 (Battlezone inspired game) which came out originally on 8 bit systems (I played it on the Apple 2 back in the day).  It was then remade for the Amiga/PC and maybe MACOS under the same name but with enhancements (end of level boss, cut scenes).  It was then later released with more spit and polish for the 3DO (Stellar 7: Draxon’s Revenge), which is my favorite version of this game

And then fans were greeted with the sequel Nova 9: the return of Gir Draxon, again for the Amiga/PC/Mac

In both cases, the number references to the “star systems” contained within the game (IE: levels, so Stellar 7 has 7 levels, Nova 9 has 9).

Note:  Apparently Arcticfox falls within the same series, therefore is seen as a sequel to Stellar 7.  Skyfox and Skyfox II: the Cygnus conflict are part of the same series as Arcticfox yet are not referenced as part of the Stellar 7 series.  Ouch

The Stellar 7 and Nova 9 games were developed by one of my favorite devs: Dynamix, who were responsible for many titles that breached many different genres. Classics like “Red Baron” and A10 Tank Killer (flight Sims), “Abrams Battle Tank” (tank sim), “Rise of the Dragon”, “Heart of China” (adventure), The Incredible Machine (puzzle), “Caveman ughlympics” (track and field type of game).  I miss them, especially their flight sims and the adventure games where they showed that cinematically speaking, they were ahead of their time

• Thanks 1

You know, if you want to think big, Namco developed RBI Baseball before Tengen moved it to other developers. The Namco series lived on as the Yakyuu/Stadium series, which evolved into the Power Pro series. So in a sense all these Power Pro games are sequels to the original RBI Baseball.

8 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

Also the 7th Guest, what happened to the other 6?

It's also worth mentioning that the sequel was named The 11th Hour. 

Taito released an arcade game named Metal Soldier Isaac II with no Metal Soldier Isaac I. One of the songs in the game was later used in the original Darius. 

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 4:24 AM, youxia said:

Metal Slug X is not really the 10th game in the series, but a revised version of MS 2. Not saying they actually meant "X" as "10", but  somebdoy unfamiliar with this series could be excused for thinking so.

Honestly, that was the EXACT situation I was in when I was first learning about the Mega Man X games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'm actually surprised that nobody has mentioned the non-existent Windows 9 so far, so I suppose I will.

Iirc Microsoft actually did that so it "sounded cooler". They actually did the "seven ate nine" joke as well.

I'm not 100% sure. Though, Apple basically did the same thing with the iPhone 8 releasing alongside the X.

Edited by RetroSonicHero
  • Like 1

Kemco's Crazy Castle series is probably the only series out there that can compare to Wonder Boy in terms of release weirdness, with the license each game was attached to (from Mickey Mouse to Bugs Bunny to Garfield to Ghostbusters) changing randomly from game to game and even region to region. I'm not sure how exhaustive the Wikipedia page is, but it's still a sight to behold.

• Like 1

Not to mention Crazy Castle 3 was originally a Kid Klown game, right?

Edit: yep.

Crazy Castle 3 is a remake of Soreike!! Kid: Go! Go! Kid, the fourth game in the Kid Klownseries developed by Kemco, which was released in Japan on the Game Boy on July 18, 1997. Like the previous two Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle games, which originally starred Roger Rabbit and Mickey Mouse, respectively, the game's graphics were modified to feature Looney Tunes characters.[4] The Game Boy Color version starring Bugs Bunny was originally released in Japan in January 1999, with releases in North America and Europe later made available by Nintendo.[5]

Crazy indeed!

18 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

In Japan, the "X" branding is just used to denote a side-story.  Thus Rock Man X, Dracula X (Castlevania), Metal Slug X, etc.  It never had anything to do with the tenth entry of the series or any numbered entry.

Didn't they make Dracula X canon eventually though? Also in Mega Man's case that was the characters actual name. 

Metal Slug X was intentional and fits.  Metal Slug 2 was rushed out and in poor shape with bugs and epic slow down in places, X is 2 with some of the stages shuffled, cleaned up, bugs and creeping pace removed so it plays right, basically it's MS2 Definitive Edition if they used such lame buzz words 20 years ago.