Jump to content
zezba9000

Atari VCS / 2600 (6-switch) not working correctly

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Have an Atari VCS 6-switch that will work fine for 1-sec (literally) then just go into some failed state.

 

<<< EXAMPLES >>>

Turn on system & I'll see a good screen

image.png.acd920c47bacefb1279d14272dba7c29.png

 

1 second later get this.

image.png.5fffa362693411a46b2f8c62499112e8.png

 

 

Same kind of thing with a different game (and every other game I've tried so far)

image.png.7659a183c7a2e88066514483b2d9bbbb.png

image.png.efd599105c7c2815bf424e9022b3f434.png

 

 

Anyone know what this might be?

FYI I replaced 4.7uf-32v caps & 2200uf-16v cap. No change.

I also tried replacing transistor in RF module but that didn't help.

Edited by zezba9000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zezba9000 said:

I replaced 4.7uf-32v caps & 2200uf-16v cap. No change.

I also tried replacing transistor in RF module but that didn't help.

From what you’ve done, it sounds like you’re shotgunning. Not the best approach. Go to Atarimania and download a copy of the 2600 Field Service Manual and work through the symptom checklists.

 

Do you have a multimeter? If so, what is the output on the voltage regulator? Since this is a six switch unit, all the chips will be socketed. So … first clean the cart slot with 90% iso or electrical contact cleaner. Next, lift and reseat each chip. If there is obvious corrosion, remove the chips and clean them with iso or contact cleaner and  a nylon brush. Reinstall the chips and try again. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

From what you’ve done, it sounds like you’re shotgunning. Not the best approach. Go to Atarimania and download a copy of the 2600 Field Service Manual and work through the symptom checklists.

 

Do you have a multimeter? If so, what is the output on the voltage regulator? Since this is a six switch unit, all the chips will be socketed. So … first clean the cart slot with 90% iso or electrical contact cleaner. Next, lift and reseat each chip. If there is obvious corrosion, remove the chips and clean them with iso or contact cleaner and  a nylon brush. Reinstall the chips and try again. 

 

 

I cleaned cartage port & the removable chips with 99% isopropyl alcohol (first thing I did).

The voltage regulator is producing 5v & 10v is being fed into it.

I will clean again to be sure but stuff wasn't super dirty. I will also see if my Sears 2600 Telegames system chips can be used to confirm if the VCS has bad a RIOT chip etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zezba9000 said:

I will also see if my Sears 2600 Telegames system chips can be used to confirm if the VCS has bad a RIOT chip etc.

The chips are completely interchangeable between the systems, assuming your Sears machine is socketed. Another factor to consider is a bad socket. Make sure there are no damaged or corroded socket contacts (“wipes”).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2021 at 2:41 PM, DrVenkman said:

The chips are completely interchangeable between the systems, assuming your Sears machine is socketed. Another factor to consider is a bad socket. Make sure there are no damaged or corroded socket contacts (“wipes”).

The issue was the "MOS Technology R6532" RIOT chip.

Seems like both the R6532P & R6532AP will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zezba9000 said:

The issue was the "MOS Technology R6532" RIOT chip.

Seems like both the R6532P & R6532AP will work.

Good news then - 6532 RIOT chips are fairly common and Atari used them in lots of stuff, notably Atari 8-fit computer disk drives. There are a few different companies that made the chip under license. The most common ones I see are Rockwell, though there are others out there. The one in my Sears Heavy Sixer is a Syntertek chip from 1977, for instance. They’re interchangeable between manufacturers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...