IGNORED

California Games BMX Map

OldAtAtari

I saw where someone several years ago (2012 maybe?) said it would be cool to have a map of the BMX track. I thought so too. So I made one. I think it's pretty accurate. It's a big image. Feel free to download it, edit it, share it, distribute it, or disregard it completely. I hope it's useful!

CA_Games_BMX_map_Lynx.png

• Like 9

That's a cool picture! It's neat to see it laid out like this.

I've had my best luck on this minigame by just playing it a lot and unconsciously having a feel for when certain obstacles will come up. I can't imagine trying to directly memorize it from these images, sounds too much like homework ;)

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

That's a cool picture! It's neat to see it laid out like this.

I've had my best luck on this minigame by just playing it a lot and unconsciously having a feel for when certain obstacles will come up. I can't imagine trying to directly memorize it from these images, sounds too much like homework ;)

Thanks!

Just the act of screenshotting it all and stitching it together to make this image taught me a lot about the track. I doubt I'll ever memorize it, but I know it better now than I did before!

• Like 1

This is great! I though I'd have a go at cleaning the map up and removing the cyclist and the scores, etc, but it's quite a significant amount of work to do that, so I gave up!

Still, I chopped it up into pieces and put them up on a page here - https://atarigamer.com/pages/california-games-bmx-map

Thanks for sharing it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Igor said:

This is great! I though I'd have a go at cleaning the map up and removing the cyclist and the scores, etc, but it's quite a significant amount of work to do that, so I gave up!

Still, I chopped it up into pieces and put them up on a page here - https://atarigamer.com/pages/california-games-bmx-map

Thanks for sharing it!

Awesome! I was hoping it would end up on your site! It's funny to see it broken up like that. Good idea, though. I like it! And yes, the editing you talked about would be a ton of work! Maybe one day someone will clean it up. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I was just kidding :)   No maps needed for any of the other courses.

Very funny. I do wonder about the footbag, though. I wonder what happens if you forget about the bag and just walking left or right. I wonder if it ever stops you or gives you new scenery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 11:25 PM, OldAtAtari said:

I saw where someone several years ago (2012 maybe?) said it would be cool to have a map of the BMX track. I thought so too. So I made one. I think it's pretty accurate. It's a big image. Feel free to download it, edit it, share it, distribute it, or disregard it completely. I hope it's useful!

CA_Games_BMX_map_Lynx.png

You could make a fold-out poster of this and put it with the game...

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2021 at 6:40 PM, Igor said:

If you make any more maps, just message me directly and I'll put them up. Have you seen my Gates of Zendocon universe map? https://atarigamer.com/articles/gates-of-zendocon-universe-map

Very nice map!  Much better than that text-based pseudographical one I still have from the 90s.

Two things jumped out at me though.  First, without looking at the old map, I thought the secret stage provided a "time loop".  Maybe I'm wrong, because I never tried it.  Second, I see you have a special place in the legend for each "dragon level", but you didn't include SNAX.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, bohoki said:

The obstacles leading up to the finish line are different, so I would say that it's not the same map.

On 4/16/2021 at 12:10 PM, OldAtAtari said:

Very funny. I do wonder about the footbag, though. I wonder what happens if you forget about the bag and just walking left or right. I wonder if it ever stops you or gives you new scenery.

The footbag map actually loops itself. If you just start walking to the left or right and leave the ball on the ground, after about 30-40 seconds you come across the ball on the ground again. No other changes to the scenery, only the grass under the player scrolls, the water and cityscape stays the same while moving left or right.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, Zendocon said:

Very nice map!  Much better than that text-based pseudographical one I still have from the 90s.

Two things jumped out at me though.  First, without looking at the old map, I thought the secret stage provided a "time loop".  Maybe I'm wrong, because I never tried it.  Second, I see you have a special place in the legend for each "dragon level", but you didn't include SNAX.

Thanks! You're right about the time-loop, but it's across levels - from the bonus level you go back to NERB, then follow the levels to ZEBA, then TRYX and then the bonus level again.

I'll update the map with SNAX to be shown as the dragon level, thanks for that!

• Like 1