IGNORED

What DDP image can I put on a re-purposed buck Rogers tape?

rietveld

I went on ebay looking for a Buck Rogers tape to use for a Dragon's Lair copy and ended up getting 19 copies of the same tape. What other DDP game uses the same centre directory format as  Buck Rogers? Will any DDP image copy over to these DDP tapes?

Edited by rietveld

12 minutes ago, rietveld said:

I went on ebay looking for a Buck Rogers tape to use for a Dragon's Lair copy and ended up getting 19 copies of the same tape. What other DDP game uses the same centre directory format as  Buck Rogers? Will any DDP image copy over to these DDP tapes?

Super games like Buck Rogers are on right directory tapes and most any other tape can be copied to them by using Filemanager to block copy.  This would put a directory block on the right directory tape and then puts the program or data onto the right directory tape.

Depending on availability seeing as there are fewer and fewer of these Buck Rogers/Right Directory DDPs to repurpose, they should be saved for making copies of other programs that were supplied on Right Directory DDPs such as the Super Games, Richard Scarry’s BEWE (I don’t think he was cancelled like Dr. Seuss!!!), The Best of Electronics Arts, etc.

If you want to put some to use for other purposes, any program can be copied to the with the caveat that file loading programs will put a lot more wear and tear on the Drive due to having to return to the directory to read in the location of the next file to load. This is why Coleco used block load routines for programs supplied on Right Directory DDPs instead of file loading routines.

With all that said, use the FORMAT and INiTIALIZE options in File Manager to zero out all the blocks, verify the blocks are good and write a directory to the DDP. It doesn’t actually format the tape, it just zeros out each block.