IGNORED

The most used resolution in games

AtariNostalgia

An example of Pop animation in a 64x48 screen (13 frames).

I found a gif (150x185), I extracted the frames, I resized them with a width of 32 pixels, I saved them individually and merged into another gif.

P.S. if you resize the original gif directly, the programs add colors to improve the result and you go beyond the 15 allowed.

princex4.gif

prince.gif

Edited by Elia Spallanzani fdt
  • Like 1

In the interview view Karl Guttag that @Elia Spallanzani fdt also quoted he talks about how the bandwidth from the VDP to the video RAM was the limiting factor and how each access took as much time as drawing 2 pixels: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/192028-tms9995/?do=findComment&comment=2435140

In that respect multicolor mode has an advantage because it only takes 2 memory accesses (name table and pattern table) to draw 8 pixels whereas in bitmap mode or graphics mode it takes 3 (name table, pattern table, color table). But actually a fat (2x1) pixel mode with 4 bits per fat pixel, with a total resolution of 128x192, would also only require 2 memory accesses per 8 (slim) pixels.

Karl Guttag mentions that they had enough memory for a full 4 bits per pixels bitmap but not enough bandwidth, but I think he must be forgetting that a full bitmap would require 24K.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...