IGNORED

What are some significant games that use DSP?

I'm trying to decide whether I want a Super Everdrive X6 or X5. $25 difference. X6 is compatible with all DSP variants (but nothing else) and X5 is compatible with none. I don't want to spend $200 on an FXPAK PRO.

What are some significant or fun games that are worth playing that utilize the DSP chip apart from Super Mario Kart?

DSP chip games you'd be surprised and I think would be upset at missing out.

I won't list Japanese stuff, but as far as US goes -- Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Lock On, Top Gear 3000, Dungeon Master, Ballz 3D, Super Bases Loaded 2, Suzuka 8 Hours, and Michael Andretti's Indy Car Challenge

The upset part I think for most would just be Mario Kart and Pilotwings, but a few others are actually really good games too (Dungeon Master, Top Gear 3000)

• Like 2

What I was really depressed by was the most of the games that I really wanted to play use non DSP chips that can only be played using an FXPAK PRO. Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, you know the drill. But if those DSP games are as fun as you say, perhaps I’ll spend that extra $25 on an X6. Thanks for the advice :) 

Well at the least I think you'd get the monies worth out of Mario Kart and Pilotwings.  The rest really would depend on your tastes.  Dungeon Master is a solid older style dungeon style RPG, the rest are all racing/sports so it depends if you like that.  Given a Mario Kart cartridge costs more than the upgrade these days, you're ahead on that alone.

I went and got the SD2SNES after the moment the upgrade hit that added those special chips because as it stagnated for years before that it had no value over the DSP based Everdrive.  Personally if you're going to drop the $25 extra I'd just look for a second hand SD2SNES, it won't cost you much more, or wait on next black friday or when they run usually 1 other sale in the year that drops flash kits like 15-20% at stone age gamer (they also sell second hand traded in kits including the SD2SNES/FX Pack Pro.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Rhomaios said:

How on earth could an Everdrive come out that didn't support Pilotwings or Super Mario Kart? Is that really right?

Yes it's right.  You had a choice to cheap out and not get it.  Board was the same, but since they harvested DSPs from legit carts, or basically told you how to attach one yourself, it came at a savings.  I don't think it was any big savings since we're talking years ago when a DSP game would be had for like $5 pretty easily.