IGNORED

Just got an Atari 7800!

Glennikit

I bought it off a local seller, because of the whole Covid situation we had to do it on the parking lot outside my apartment building.

Him placing the box down on the ground, me sending payment via Vipps (Norwegian payment app).

And then him getting back in the car, and leaving before I approached the box.

2021, make every transaction look like a drug deal... ?

Anyhow, this is the European model, so it has the controllers that are a bit more similar to the NES and Master system controller layout, than the more typical joystick which the 1986 American release got, the year before. I haven't tried it yet, but here's hoping it works. Seller included two NES games in addition to the 2600 and 7800 games. ;)

This is now my second Atari console, as I have a 2600 Jr which I bought last year.  

photo_2021-03-27_13-54-01.jpg

photo_2021-03-27_13-54-02.jpg

photo_2021-03-27_13-54-02 (2).jpg

photo_2021-03-27_13-54-03.jpg

photo_2021-03-27_13-54-03 (2).jpg

Edited by Glennikit
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

Congrats on the new console!  Food Fight is awesome.  Don't judge the console by Kung Fu Master and Jinks ;)

Most consoles will have games that aren't great. I have looked through videos such as this though:So I have some idea of what I wanna get for it in the future ?  

• Like 1

Very nice!  Congratulations!

It's always interesting to hear the stories behind the machine and how it came to be in its owner's hands.  C19 may not be any fun, but this is a great example of how we've had to do things during this time.  Makes it a bit unique.

Now go add your serial number to the 7800 Serial Number List thread :-D

• Thanks 1

Nice. I have a love hate relationship with double dragon (I have the no 3 on nes which I just about get on with) but it's a nice bonus to get 1 and 2 with it! 

F18 and tomcat is some of the rarer games for the system depending on where you live, so a fair find I would say. Collecting for 7800 is a bit addictive, but well worth it if you like early nes / colecovision type games or just want to see upgraded 2600 games. 

3 hours ago, slx said:

Nice lot, would you care to say what you had to pay?

There are two SD-based multicarts for the system and AtariAge has awesome homebrews. 

I paid 2000 Norwegian kroner, €196, it's about what it would cost to import one from Ebay, with shipping and customs in mind (and probably with less games.)

Edited by Glennikit
  • Like 2

Welcome to the club, you'll really enjoy your new gear!!! :) BTW, I know you already own a 2600 Jr. (and so do I), this will greatly compliment it, but are you aware that your 2600 games will also work on the 7800??? And since you have the European version you get to automatically enjoy Asteroids built-in, this port of it is probably THE BEST and most colorful I have ever seen on any Atari system, and yes that includes the original 1981 8-bit/5200 port, by far better than the 2600 version. The movement in the 7800 Asteroids (there's also Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel available in the AA store too.) is so much more fluent too, no hesitation, just more free-flowing. Quite a pickup bro and ENJOY!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

Congrats on the new console!  Food Fight is awesome.  Don't judge the console by Kung Fu Master and Jinks ;)

I haven't played Kung Fu Master IN YEARS!!! In fact the last time I played it was around the mid-80s (the arcade version). I used to love playing it, so I might as well give it a run on 'Lil' Sexy' since I have it on my Concerto, and yes as a matter of fact maybe I WILL pick up a couple of NOS CX78 Europads I found on eBay (the only 2 left in the specific auction), I already put them in my watch list.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shawn said:

$95 each? You got totally ripped off. :(

Yes - those are extremely overpriced, regardless of whether they're still in bubble wrap or not.

Best is selling CX78s with extended cables and their improved PCBs installed for $60.  You may want to consider a return of the eBay items if that's still a possibility.

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Yes - those are extremely overpriced, regardless of whether they're still in bubble wrap or not.

Best is selling CX78s with extended cables and their improved PCBs installed for $60.  You may want to consider a return of the eBay items if that's still a possibility.

That wouldn't be right. He bought in at $95 each which was a choice. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

NOW I find out, I thought they were sold out, much like the 12-ft. OEM RCA-to-RCA RF cords, in which I use with an RCA female-to-PAL male adapter so that's why I have to order 12 ft. RCA male-to-PAL male cords for both of my converters (RF-to-HDMI and RF-to-AV, composite, both equipped with PAL antenna inputs) I use to play my games (and display them)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

That wouldn't be right. He bought in at $95 each which was a choice. 

As far as that goes, I agree.  With that in mind:

3 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

NOW I find out, I thought they were sold out

Well...  This is why it's almost never a good idea to make impulse purchases.  A few minutes' nosing around would've saved you $70.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Glennikit said:

Most consoles will have games that aren't great. I have looked through videos such as this though:So I have some idea of what I wanna get for it in the future ?  

You can check out over 100 Atari 7800 reviews here if you are curious about a certain game. When possible, I input other reviewers scores with mine and my other reviewers.

www.atari7800forever.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

You can check out over 100 Atari 7800 reviews here if you are curious about a certain game. When possible, I input other reviewers scores with mine and my other reviewers.

www.atari7800forever.com

Thanks a lot, that's definitely helpful! :D

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

www.atari7800forever.com

Bookmarked in my Atari Forums Sites list, I hope you'll subscribe to mine as well. :)  Thanks for the reference. 

Ray Jackson

• Like 1