IGNORED

Which Skunk JCP?

Cyprian

Mine should be a superset of all of them. By default it builds without removers support, but if you tweak one line in the makefile or Visual Studio project, you can turn that on, assuming I didn't break that build with my changes. If you don't care about that, just grab the installer from my github for Windows/Mac, use my source for Linux and you'll have the latest/greatest.

@dilinger
has some additional changes in his fork, but I'd have to change the license to merge them. That doesn't really bother me for my uses, but I've avoided it in case it bothers others.

From a functional standpoint, it's not that interesting unless you have a Rev.4 or 5 board. However, if you're on windows or mac, the installer is much more convenient since it includes signed drivers for modern OS versions. From the release notes here:

https://github.com/cubanismo/skunk_jcp/releases

Version 02.06.00 has the following new features compared to 02.05.00:

• Support for selecting the serial EEPROM on Rev.5 Skunkboards
  • Upload and download data from/to serial EEPROMs on compatible Skunkboards (Rev.4 and Rev.5 boards)
  • Auto-detection of serial EEPROM type (128B or 2048B/93C46 or 93C86)
  • Support for dumping 6MB roms

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cubanismo said:
Auto-detection of serial EEPROM type (128B or 2048B/93C46 or 93C86)

Be careful with that. It involves writing to the EEPROM, which causes it to wear down a little bit, and can also cause data corruption if the Jaguar is turned off right at this moment (unlikely) or if EEPROM contacts on the cartridge slot are a bit dirty (more likely).

If you only run the autodetection code when explicitly saving/restoring the EEPROM contents, it's probably fine. But it's not something I'd recommend doing every time you run JCP, or at startup in your game code. (I thought about providing EEPROM size autodetection code for the Jagtopus board, but decided against it for that reason.)

3 hours ago, cubanismo said:

From a functional standpoint, it's not that interesting unless you have a Rev.4 or 5 board. However, if you're on windows or mac, the installer is much more convenient since it includes signed drivers for modern OS versions. From the release notes here:

https://github.com/cubanismo/skunk_jcp/releases

Version 02.06.00 has the following new features compared to 02.05.00:

• Support for selecting the serial EEPROM on Rev.5 Skunkboards
  • Upload and download data from/to serial EEPROMs on compatible Skunkboards (Rev.4 and Rev.5 boards)
  • Auto-detection of serial EEPROM type (128B or 2048B/93C46 or 93C86)
  • Support for dumping 6MB roms

ok, mine is SillyVenture edition (v3 if I'm not wrong), and actually EEPROM is out of my interest at that moment.

I'm more interested in communication with host PC. There are nice functions like skunkFILEREAD / skunkFILEWRITE / skunkFILECLOSE, but there are no  for FOLDER manipulation. Would be possible to add additional functionality like open / close folder and create / delete file / folder?

I'm trying to port EmuTOS to Jag and those additional functions would be very useful,

18 hours ago, cubanismo said:

@dilinger
has some additional changes in his fork, but I'd have to change the license to merge them. That doesn't really bother me for my uses, but I've avoided it in case it bothers others.

About the license, I can change it; I have used the GPL-3.0 one. If someone has a proposal, please let me know.

The changes are the follow:

* ELF binary format support
* Visual Studio 64bits project
* Communication timeout parameter
* USB port selection
* Bus and Port selections
* Skunkboard serial number selection
* Libusb 1.0.x support

1 hour ago, Zerosquare said:

If you only run the autodetection code when explicitly saving/restoring the EEPROM contents,

Yes, that's the only time it's done. Perhaps I'll hard-coded it in the future, but it makes the code more complicated, and probably wouldn't be able to detect an EEPROM on Rev.4 boards since they use the same BIOS as Rev.2/3 boards.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dilinger said:

If someone has a proposal, please let me know.

The original code is all public domain. I've tried to strengthen that a bit further on my version by placing it under the creative commons zero license, which basically means public domain everywhere that allows it, the least restrictive terms possible everywhere else. See the creative commons website for more details.

57 minutes ago, Cyprian said:

skunkFILEREAD / skunkFILEWRITE / skunkFILECLOSE, but there are no  for FOLDER manipulation.

The removers version has some more advanced file IO, so you might want to start with that.

Also, you may be interested in my host USB driver to access USB drive content from USB drives plugged directly into the Skunk.

22 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

The removers version has some more advanced file IO, so you might want to start with that.

unfortunately jcp.c looks similar in that area - "(paths are not supported)"

22 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Also, you may be interested in my host USB driver to access USB drive content from USB drives plugged directly into the Skunk.

that sounds really cool.

one remark, would be possible to provide also portable version (just to install driver manually and nothing more)?

7 hours ago, Cyprian said:

one remark, would be possible to provide also portable version (just to install driver manually and nothing more)?

Well, the Jaguar and Skunk BIOS are not like modern operating systems where you can just load drivers and then get functionality. The driver is just a component you'd have to build into whatever program you want to use it with. More like a static library so to speak. That said, you could use the Skunk BIOS's autoboot functionality to flash an "extended" BIOS that included the USB functionality along with some code like your emuTOS thing from flash, or a stub program that just includes the USB driver code and a minimal loader that in turn loads your code from a USB stick. I believe Tursi or KSkunk were working on something similar to load Linux on the Jaguar at some point but abandoned it. I've thought it would be cool to use something like this to load the Handy (Lynx) emulator ported to the Jaguar or something, with some ROMs bundled in or the ability to load ROMs from the USB stick, as well as some other ideas I haven't had time to pursue yet.

Edit: It occurs to me you may have meant the JCP host PC drivers rather than the on-console Skunk USB driver. If that's all you want, just use Zadig. Both that and my installer are wrappers around libwdi, which itself is just a set of utilities to install various versions of the libusb driver on Windows. My version is slightly customized to restore WinXP support, but most people don't want that anyway. For Mac, you can use brew to install libusb and various other OSS software.

Edited by cubanismo
Include info on JCP host PC driver too.

Ah, I see. Yes, I can look into providing the raw jcp.exe in a zip file when I get some time. However, you can also run the installer and uncheck the driver install and path env variable modification options, then point it at whatever directory you want. That should get you more or less the same result. Or, build it yourself. The source includes a vs2019 project that works with the free version.