IGNORED

Best Atari game hacks

Materion

1 hour ago, Materion said:

I mean hack that changes gameplay or change levels add new features etc.

https://www.atariteca.net.pe/2020/09/por-fin-montezuma-para-atari-ya-tiene.html

And

https://www.atariteca.net.pe/2019/06/alistan-dos-secuelas-de-bruce-lee-para.html

The rest are mostly "cosmetic" modifications or add very little to the gameplay.

4 hours ago, code_blazer said:

At least on the atari 800, if you flick the on/off switch just right, some games will behave differently.  for instance, on pac man, a repeatable behavior is items being worth much more than normal.

'frying' on a VCS was found not to be necessary, to some degree, with many games usibg an alternative combination of switches of something being held as startup were able to many of the same things, 'frying' on an 800 sounds like abuse the nature of which government agency arrive at people doors over.... Frying and power slamming the 800 was always a bad idea...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Also Shamus+

Thanks for the mention, saved me having to shamelessly type a plug for it myself. It's not spectacular but if you play through all the mazes it'll keep you entertained for a while. And you get a pause function.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

That's not a hack, it was made with the built-in editor.

Hmmm, if I remember correctly you can create new levels with the Dandy editor - and they will look like Dandy levels then. But you cannot change the font or charset with the editor and thats what they did. They changed the font and thus the look of the game, i.e. your players are now soldiers, the monsters are now Aliens and Facehuggers, the spawners are now Alien eggs, etc. 

Or is there a way to change the font/charset with the editor that I am not aware of ?