IGNORED

Troubleshooting Pristine Console

eems

Just got an inbox gem and it was great for a few days until I decided to try some Super Action controller sets out.  Put in Rocky and the beat up set of controller buttons were not to great.  Tried the second set of super action controllers and the game would boot right into the demo match mode.  Tried baseball and it booted into game with batter constantly swinging.  Took those controllers out and put back the regular controllers and with River Raid.  Turns on and goes instantly past the selection screen and then sits waiting to start and pressing any button causes it to just keep cycling to that same screen.  Put in Donkey Kong and it also goes past selection menu and into the game.  Donkey Kong plays normal however without the selection screen it is definitely always putting it in to 2 player game.  Unplugged both controllers and start Donkey Kong and same thing direct into 2 player mode.  The best I can tell is one of the set of Super Action controllers caused some sort of malfunction where the system thinks buttons are being pressed.  Any suggestions on what could be the cause or where to start troubleshooting?

Reviewing some online resources it sounds like what I'm experiencing is related to a controller interface chip. I had purchased sets of chips/holders and caps just never thought I'd be soldering them in already.

Does that sound like the next step based on the symptoms or are there other things I should check first?

Also, could one of the SuperAction controllers have caused the issues? 

Not an expert by any means but it sounds like you have fried a controller chip so yes that would be the next step. The Colecovision controller chips are notorius for static electricity build up frying the chip, shag carpet and crt static build up can cause this also never unplug a controller while the console is turned on. You can purchase some Ruggers Customs ESD anti static boards to also install under the controller port to prevent this from happening in the future.Cheers and Good Luck!

Took soldering tools on maiden voyage and new controller chips/holders did the job and system is working properly again. 

Thanks for tip on ESD boards. They are out of stock at the moment but I'll add those when they are available again.

Guess this retrogaming hobby will make me learn soldering as a skill!