IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 10 - Q*Bert

1 hour ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Wolfy, this and your centipede score.... what new vitamins did you start taking???? 

Great scores coming in! 

I gave the Doritos and Diet Dr. Pepper you recommended a try!?

Seriously though,a couple games back I realized I was not putting in enough effort to the HSC and getting the best score I could so I am trying to post my best score possible. 

I still wont win any rounds but I wont disappoint myself either!??

Edited by wolfy62
Spelling error
  • Like 4

Quick Q*bert Update (thru post #34)

1. 90,905 - Patbb
  2. 22,150 - Wolfy62
  3. 20,730 - Lupovax
  4. 13,570 - PlayerOne
  5. 13,550 - Spartan
  6. 12,730 - Mr_me
  7. 12,725 - ClassicGMR
  8. 12,010 - Rickster8
  9.   7,950 - CParsley
  10.   6,900 - JBlenkle

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting

This game is so poorly programmed. Qbert jumps with a lag, curly is way too large, the two pink bubble-Gum enemies just float anywhere they want. They’re supposed to follow defined paths. How do you screw up Qbert? Leave it to Parker. I give it a D-. It’s un-playable. 

Edited by INTELLIVISION SPARTAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

One game won’t make a difference! There’s like 25 games this season! (Especially with Rickster’s Imagic Fetish coming up).  May as well enter a decent score I got last week. 
34K. 

38F9E13F-277F-4E72-B783-31B9BAAF65C8.jpeg

I know you hate this game,but that's a really good score!?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

This game is so poorly programmed. Qbert jumps with a lag, curly is way too large, the two pink bubble-Gum enemies just float anywhere they want. They’re supposed to follow defined paths. How do you screw up Qbert? Leave it to Parker. I give it a D-. It’s un-playable. 

I give it an F+....... ?

• Haha 3

Remember begging my uncle to get me Qbert for Christmas. I was enamored with the arcade version, and drooled over screenshots of the Inty version in ads (esp. compared to the Atari version).

I don't seem to have the same control issues as other people have posted, but maybe because I am used to it. I do roll my thumb a bit in the direction I'm headed, especially when moving from a stopped position, like starting the board or after riding a disk to the top.

16175695176325120346551094316086.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, popsicle said:

Remember begging my uncle to get me Qbert for Christmas. I was enamored with the arcade version, and drooled over screenshots of the Inty version in ads (esp. compared to the Atari version).

I don't seem to have the same control issues as other people have posted, but maybe because I am used to it. I do roll my thumb a bit in the direction I'm headed, especially when moving from a stopped position, like starting the board or after riding a disk to the top.

miami vice deal with it GIF

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, popsicle said:

Amazing score Pops !!!! We have two Q*bert pros here :) Awesome !!! 

On 3/30/2021 at 2:15 PM, mr_me said:

SSW, SW, and WSW would all produce the same diagonal.  Twelve of the sixteen directions are mapped to the four qbert movements so it should be hard to miss using the disc.

Mame has the same qbert bug as Bliss.

I COULD be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure, "bug" or not, that Q-Bert will play well on MAME, with a 4/8 way stick, set to 8-way, it's just a stick setup that not everyone has?

Again, not stating fact, I only piddled with MAME Q-Bert a bit('cause I sucked), but pretty sure when I moved my 4 ways to 8 way, it was a huge improvement.

No way you could really Do the diagonals properly w/o an 8-way, I don't think?

Might be in the minority here, but I don’t think I ever had a real problem with this version of odd-looking cursing orange fella. Maybe it was bc this was the version I played the most. This might also be the one time where having the stickler on my controller actually works to my advantage. It’s the one version I don’t need to reposition my controller for.

8,850 L1R4

EE0F9961-ACCC-487D-B2F2-39001F589D29.thumb.jpeg.5a9db69098e62ebabffa8f60c64e8ca5.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogerpoco said:

I COULD be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure, "bug" or not, that Q-Bert will play well on MAME, with a 4/8 way stick, set to 8-way, it's just a stick setup that not everyone has?

Again, not stating fact, I only piddled with MAME Q-Bert a bit('cause I sucked), but pretty sure when I moved my 4 ways to 8 way, it was a huge improvement.

No way you could really Do the diagonals properly w/o an 8-way, I don't think?

I was talking about the intellivision mame emulator regarding the losing a player bug.  Arcade qbert had a 4-way joystick rotated 45d.  Most of the home conversions of the day forced you to hold the controller rotated 45d, which I always find tough to do because my hands automatically see angles relative to eachother.  Intellivision qbert was programmed directly with diagonals and not a problem.  With emulation you can map diagonals for any system so you can work around the issue but diagonals aren't as reliable as the cardinal directions with 8-way controls.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I was talking about the intellivision mame emulator regarding the losing a player bug.  Arcade qbert had a 4-way joystick rotated 45d.  Most of the home conversions of the day forced you to hold the controller rotated 45d, which I always find tough to do because my hands automatically see angles relative to eachother.  Intellivision qbert was programmed directly with diagonals and not a problem.  With emulation you can map diagonals for any system so you can work around the issue but diagonals aren't as reliable as the cardinal directions with 8-way controls.

OK-(sorry to bug, but mebbe I can learn something!!!).

Didn't realize you were talking MAME INT EMU, so scratch that part, lol, gotcha!

OK, on the Arcade/MAME Q-Bert-

I am/was aware that it "simply" used a slightly rotated 4-way stick.

Well, the sticks in my Tankstik are aftermarket Omni2's, has an adjustable restrictor, and is sold as a 4/8 way.

Basically, to adjust it to 8-way, you have to rotate it the 45 degree turn of which you speak, and lock it down.

So for all intents and purposes, it *seems* to me that that just makes it a 4-way, rotated 45 degrees.

I always thought the "8-way" was actually a bit of a misnomer, but I am always open to learn.

Still, from what I remember, the way the stick is "locked", you can ONLY go diagonally, and the game at least "felt right", tho, again, I suck at it.

12 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

Well, the sticks in my Tankstik are aftermarket Omni2's, has an adjustable restrictor, and is sold as a 4/8 way.

Basically, to adjust it to 8-way, you have to rotate it the 45 degree turn of which you speak, and lock it down.

Are you moving the restrictor or rotating the joystick.  Mame arcade qbert doesn't use diagonals by default, so unless you remap to diagonals in mame you're using the joystick as a 4-way.  I'm talking about rotating an atari 2600 joystick or an nes controller in your hand which has no restrictor.

Edited by mr_me
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Are you moving the restrictor or rotating the joystick.  Mame arcade qbert doesn't use diagonals by default, so unless you remap to diagonals in mame you're using the joystick as a 4-way.  I'm talking about rotating an atari 2600 joystick or an nes controller in your hand which has no restrictor.

Moving the restrictor, I thought that essentially did the same thing, but I DO understand what you are talking about!

Overall Stats after Centipede:

1. cparsley  129
2. IntellivisionSpartan  120
3. Rickster8  87
4. cmadruga  64
5. popsicle  51
6. biffman  46
6. rogerpoco 46
8. mr_me  43
8. gbag  43
10. JacobZu7zu7  37
11. JasonlikesINTV  35