IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 10 - Q*Bert

Hello Intellivision friends,

I've had to take a hiatus from the High Score Club for a few games, but I'm back today to check in.

Very excited to see Q-bert is the current game.  I'll do my best and post my score by the deadline.

Thanks to everyone running the contest and competing!

• Like 6

Q-Bert-15,605

Kinda proud of this "not great" score.

I suppose I agree with the "this game sucks" stuff, but I've played much worse, it's tough but I think the disc response is much more "fair" than, say, Skiing?

Like it or not a lot of times, the better one is at a game the more they like it, and IMO, Q-Bert is just a brutal game inherently, INT or not, kinda like trying to play freestyle Burgertime, most people(self included)just kinda throw their hands in the air and say Screw It, this sucks.

OK-lost my next to last life on the bottom level.

Yup. Somehow, I was pressing down when the gameplay started back, little dude took a dive, really, REALLY pissed me off at me.

INTQbert15605.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Could this be my favorite Bert port?? Might have had one or two unresponsive controller instances, so I’m not ready to sing it’s praises too much.

17,255 L2 R2

EC17C26F-4B4B-4546-A8FF-0DFA29DCBD0E.thumb.jpeg.ff875d983b8eef3ea0fa23deae52fa06.jpeg

The dudes that move sideways are my least fav, maybe even more than cool guy with glasses who changes my damn spaces. I started surviving longer when I got the hell away from the sideways twins. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

I've completely hit the wall with this MISERABLE game. Cannot advance past 12k, not sure I care anymore.... Parker Brothers really outdid themselves on this heaping pile of ?

Back to something with more quality... like Popeye?!  ?

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Could this be my favorite Bert port?? Might have had one or two unresponsive controller instances, so I’m not ready to sing it’s praises too much.

17,255 L2 R2

EC17C26F-4B4B-4546-A8FF-0DFA29DCBD0E.thumb.jpeg.ff875d983b8eef3ea0fa23deae52fa06.jpeg

The dudes that move sideways are my least fav, maybe even more than cool guy with glasses who changes my damn spaces. I started surviving longer when I got the hell away from the sideways twins. 

Haha! I like that you...just like to play a lot-we've communicated a while, I kinda know how you roll, truly "like me", tho I've mebbe had a bit more mentoring and stuff from some serious Pros, there *may* be a small difference in our general skill level.

I swear to goodness, I grin from ear to ear, proud of you, every time you are able to put up a score that beats mine, I'm not exactly sure why but I almost LIKE to see you "beat me"(usually, i.e., "do well".).

There's pro's playing this, and I personally DO think it's playable, but yur score is still a step above us "Frustrated Joe's", so that's at least something, Man!!!

• Thanks 1

Anyone have controller issues with emulationstation?  Menu works fine, and Burgertime works fine (as do most other games I have played on my RetroPi), but Q-bert doesn't move and I can't get back to the main menu.  I already had a .cfg file in the directory with the rom.  I deleted it and restarted, but no luck.  :(

I can play the original cartridge on my Intellivision II, but there is competition for the big TV. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, gar0u said:

Anyone have controller issues with emulationstation?  Menu works fine, and Burgertime works fine (as do most other games I have played on my RetroPi), but Q-bert doesn't move and I can't get back to the main menu.  I already had a .cfg file in the directory with the rom.  I deleted it and restarted, but no luck.  :(

I can play the original cartridge on my Intellivision II, but there is competition for the big TV. 

I've only played this so far in emulation using my RetroPi. It works fine other than the controller issues not being great. I haven't played this using my 2609 yet and not sure I will. I'm BAD at this game, B A D!!!!! ?

• Sad 1

Broke 30K! AND I got to level 3, where things really heat up bc you change the cube color back and forth with each hop. I lost my last life by accidentally jumping off the bottom of the pyramid. Poor little orange guy couldn’t take the pressure. I got through a lot of tight spots in this play. I feel I’m anticipating the enemies’ moves more in order to survive. 

31,305 L3R1

B49205B9-D109-4F7C-918B-3CFB4FE8FE99.thumb.jpeg.464e316a2269183605f6fcb8842c247d.jpeg

Thanks to @Rogerpoco for the motivation!

• Like 3

My Q*bert Update: Lol 'PB' ugggghhhh. Everyone seems to be advancing nicely in this one, lol except me ofcourse.... Major struggle just to get 1k more lol, Ugggghhhh.... And lol I'm NOT really advancing as I'm still on L2 / R1. I just got that stupid Coily Thingee to jump off the cliff more times than before..... ?

13,345 - L2 / R1

QBERT(13345)HSC14.thumb.jpg.f4df913d4a64c9a959961abe332749bc.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

I've only played this so far in emulation using my RetroPi. It works fine other than the controller issues not being great. I haven't played this using my 2609 yet and not sure I will. I'm BAD at this game, B A D!!!!! ?

I needed a *.cfg file for Demon Attack.  I found a bunch of them and dropped them all on my RetroPi.

Trouble is, I don't know what games worked before or after, because I only tried my favorites or games from the HSC.

Q-Bert on hardware is actually quite good and does not have any control issues.

40 minutes ago, gar0u said:

I needed a *.cfg file for Demon Attack.  I found a bunch of them and dropped them all on my RetroPi.

Trouble is, I don't know what games worked before or after, because I only tried my favorites or games from the HSC.

Q-Bert on hardware is actually quite good and does not have any control issues.

OK, I will give Q*bert a 'try' on hardware later tonight. See if I can beat my joke of a 'PB'..... ?

37K. 

level 3 is brutal. Every time I go to the last square, I change the color of the square before it, and give myself another square to have to change its color... and the pattern continues on and on until I lose all my men LOL ? ? 

“WHY, OH WHY DO I PLAY THIS GAME” ? 

E2D37363-3876-4715-A6E6-05636C8CA66B.jpeg

Edited by INTELLIVISION SPARTAN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

So do you keep a journal of all your PBs or something?  ?

Hahaha :) no I just remember benchmarks on most games. For sure I was over 50k.  Whether I think I can do that now is moot. I don’t like the game. Too frustrating. I’m done! 

Im going to try micro surgeon on high-shift mode this weekend. It’s been a long time. I tried Dragonfire but the invisible dragon is ridiculous. He takes all my men! 

Edited by INTELLIVISION SPARTAN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

“WHY, OH WHY DO I PLAY THIS GAME” ? 

Because it's great! And you secretly love it! Especially those sideways bastards.

3 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

So do you keep a journal of all your PBs or something?  ?

I do! I made a binder over a year ago b/c I found that writing scores on random pieces of paper just wasn't cutting it. Worked out nicely 'cause I joined the HSCs around the same time I think. I have those little colored binder tabs separating chunks of loose leaf by letter, and I dedicate an entire page per game, so there's plenty of room for scores and stats. What I also decided was that it would include all systems, so it's fun when I get to F for instance and have 3 sheets of Frogger scores on 2600, INTV, and CV.

That's just for games on original hardware tho. If it's an emulation, I just have the screenshots on my computer.

Anyway, I'm 'bout to play some more 'bert! Wish me luck @!#?@!

• Like 3