IGNORED

Robot Zed BETA RELEASE!

Sprybug

2 minutes ago, Sprybug said:

That bit doesn't get changed either after it is set to 1 or 0 and the beginning.  I did a search through my entire code for both Genesis_Controller, g, and g{7} and nothing interacts with that bit other than the Genesis Controller routine.

Okay, but the code snippet you showed showed the whole variable getting set to 1 if the Genesis is detected, and the check for that also checks to see if the whole variable is non-zero instead of just a bit.

Or was that not the actual code in your game, but just a simplification for sharing purposes?

Anyway, my offer to look at your code stands if you want to share it with me. I won't be able to get to it tonight, but would probably be able to tomorrow.

In batari you can define bits too.  Like for example

dim Extra_Bits = g

and then

def Enemy_Direction = Extra_Bits{0}
 def Ball_Direction = Extra_Bits{1}
 def Missile_Direction = Extra_Bits{2}
 def No_Scroll=Extra_Bits{3}
 def Zed_Turn = Extra_Bits{4}
 def RetOTBank = Extra_Bits{5}
 def Temp_Bit=Extra_Bits{6}
 def Genesis_Controller = Extra_Bits{7}

If you want to take a look at the code, you're welcome, but it's a 64K code and a lot of it will probably be confusing, as I don't tend to comment on my code as I work.  I actually make notes in separate text files on specific things for the game and where in the code it happens, etc.  You can PM(DM) me if you'd like.

• Like 1

Oh I didn't realizing that you were using defs. That makes a lot more sense. I don't have an urgent need to see your code or anything, but I'm decent with the Stella debugger if you are still needing help with the Genesis button code continuing to not work. Up to you. ? 

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

Oh I didn't realizing that you were using defs. That makes a lot more sense. I don't have an urgent need to see your code or anything, but I'm decent with the Stella debugger if you are still needing help with the Genesis button code continuing to not work. Up to you. ? 

Yeah, if you'd like.  Do you have the previous version of Zed (25) where the Genesis Controller is enabled?  What's going on is, it's acting as if the c button is stuck, which means it is going to the GenButton routine.  I've never run into this before and it almost feels like this is a bug with Batari and not with my code.  I recompiled my old Princess Rescue game with the version of batari I am using and it worked fine on that.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Had to pull out the old Atariage account from 2014 for this.

Besides for Zed moving a bit too fast for my liking (though I did end up getting used to this), this has a lot of promise to it.

Can't wait for another good Sprybug Atari game ?

Edited by Gamefan123
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 11:40 AM, Gamefan123 said:

Had to pull out the old Atariage account from 2014 for this.

Besides for Zed moving a bit too fast for my liking (though I did end up getting used to this), this has a lot of promise to it.

Can't wait for another good Sprybug Atari game ?

Thanks.  The beta is is now full release and am looking for beta testers.  I also slowed down the game too, so Zed is not as touchy, although because of the nature of the scrolling playfield on the Atari 2600, there's only so much I could do.

• Like 3

EXCLUSIVE NEW FULL BETA OF ROBOT ZED!
FROM DEVELOPER OF PRINCESS RESCUE AND ZIPPY THE PORCUPINE

Join us LIVE tomorrow (Tue Aug 17) on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch livestream at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day!

We have an EXCLUSIVE playthrough tomorrow of the NEW FULL beta of ROBOT ZED for the Atari 2600 from Chris Spry @Sprybug, the developer of the infamous and incredible Princess Rescue and Zippy The Porcupine! Robot Zed is an amazing homage to Mega Man with multiple weapon powerups and includes EIGHT full worlds (Ice, Mine, Lava, Junk, Robo, Sea, Sand, & Sky) of platforming goodness! You don't want to miss this!

Games:
After Dark:
  • Enduro (1983 Activision Patch Attempt #1) by Larry Miller

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 5:38 PM, Sprybug said:

Thanks.  The beta is is now full release and am looking for beta testers.  I also slowed down the game too, so Zed is not as touchy, although because of the nature of the scrolling playfield on the Atari 2600, there's only so much I could do.

I noticed the game speed changes from the Exclusive WIP showcase, and it already looks better to handle than before ?. Can't wait for a new version to be released in a more developed state

Also I noticed that you're reusing the same Bat sprites from Zippy ?

Edited by Gamefan123

On 8/28/2021 at 1:46 AM, Gamefan123 said:

I noticed the game speed changes from the Exclusive WIP showcase, and it already looks better to handle than before ?. Can't wait for a new version to be released in a more developed state

Also I noticed that you're reusing the same Bat sprites from Zippy ?

Great eye!  Yep, it's the only sprite I reused from the past.  I wanted a flying robo bat and I thought, well the design for the bat on Zippy worked really well, let's just re-use that. XD

I do plan on making an update beta release for everyone to play, I want to work out a few more kinks and then make a beta available for everyone, where it's more of a demo where you can try the levels out, but not able to play the entire game from start to finish and complete.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sprybug said:

Great eye!  Yep, it's the only sprite I reused from the past.  I wanted a flying robo bat and I thought, well the design for the bat on Zippy worked really well, let's just re-use that. XD

I do plan on making an update beta release for everyone to play, I want to work out a few more kinks and then make a beta available for everyone, where it's more of a demo where you can try the levels out, but not able to play the entire game from start to finish and complete.

I had a hand at ripping the sprites from Zippy for TSR, couldn't help but notice it when I first saw it ? Also how would having the quicksand being in a checkerboarded pattern in the maze parts of the stage to see what's a wall or not better be done? Would that be doable at all with the games current setup or no?

Edited by Gamefan123

On 8/29/2021 at 5:14 PM, Gamefan123 said:

I had a hand at ripping the sprites from Zippy for TSR, couldn't help but notice it when I first saw it ? Also how would having the quicksand being in a checkerboarded pattern in the maze parts of the stage to see what's a wall or not better be done? Would that be doable at all with the games current setup or no?

After watching James play it live on ZeroPage, I decided to make the color of the solid blocks in the quicksand area, a slightly different color so you can just make out the difference, so you're not going through it blind while dealing with the different quicksand physics.  It'll make it easier.  It's by far the toughest level.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...