IGNORED

Atari 400 Failure

Panther

The problem motherboard was the one with your RAM mod in it that was working fine until I installed a UAV and then connected the CPU and RAM card backards when I tested.  My spare board was the one with that RAM mod plate on the bottom that matches the factory upgrade configuration, but I lack a board for.  I did find a bad capacitor on the problem mainboard, but the problem was that I was trying to use a stock 16K board to troubleshoot getting it working again.  This is what screwed me up.  Eventually I redid my 64K RAM board and things started working again.  Now I'm hooking up Phi2 to the cartridge port so that my AtariMax carts work properly.

26 minutes ago, ClausB said:

Were some of the RAM chips bad? I posted earlier that 4116 (16K) chips could handle the overvolltage. Now that I know the backwards board was 48K with 4164 chips, I suspect some were damaged.

Probably, the card did not function so I ended up just swapping out all the RAM and the 7400 series chips.  It has better quality RAM now anyway.

I've swapped in Phi2 instead of the RAS signal to pin S of the cartridge port and while this likely will have improved compatibility with some cartridges, this AtariMax cart still won't run everything on it.  The same games run on an 800, but not the 400.  Some games on the AtariMax do function, however.  I'll test some other multi-carts later.