IGNORED

STE Upgrade Board

Hi all,

hoping someone can help me find information on a Compo Software Ltd TAA3 board (dated 1992) that I fitted to my STe years ago.

I've gone through all the manuals that I have, and cannot find any paperwork for the board.

Find an image of the board below.

100200824_TAA3Board.thumb.jpg.40e75b9b7cbd3fad24783a9ca7389f7f.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Hardly TOS 2.06 upgrade board in case of STE . By STE need only to replace ROM chips, and maybe set soldering pads if chips are not with same pin count as what was in .  GAL is needed in case of ST, Mega ST, but they are all with DIL CPU .

For me it looks like accelerator board - therefore is 64 pin DIL socket - I guess that they had such chips (for better price ?)  . And ROM sockets are for modded TOS, may be even 2.06 if CPU is 68010 . And then should be connection to higher CPU clock, like 16 MHz, what should go to logic (GAL), so can use it or org. 8 Mhz for CPU. There are 3 lines at left which seem as points where to solder wires ..

Since can not find info about online, I guess this was manufactured in small quantity.

Hi ojanhk,

thanks for the link, it definitely shows the board I've got. As you say the GAL is missing, and thinking long and hard about this, I believe I removed the GAL so I could run a PC emulator board, (286 I think), with this as the adaptor board.

Again thanks for the link. I'll look further for the manual for it.

Regards

Yeah, this is T-Board. But what I said, that in case of STE no need for board stays. No need for GAL - address space for ROM TOS in STE is same as in Mega STE.

If want  TOS switch simplest and cheapest is to use larger capacity EPROMs - like 27C020 for 2 TOS versions, 27C040 for 4 TOS versions. Not theory - I did it all.

Just sad example of overcomplicating and take more space than needed in computer.

Instead manual get above mentioned EPROMs and switch .

You are right it is over complicating on a technical side. But at the time, Atari was still fully active, so in order to sell a commercial product for Dual TOS they might have had no other choice than to provide space for 4 ROM chips, all official from Atari. That’s just a guess