IGNORED

Keyboard pole interchangeability?

By 'pole' you mean the plunger under the keycap? There is only one keyboard type for the 1200 and no other XL uses it. It's a Mitsumi.  First I would try to super glue it back together. Then if that fails then you'll need to find someone with a spare 1200XL plunger. Since there were so many extra 1200 keyboards made and sold at radio shack, someone must have a spare plunger from their original keyboard they could share.  I don't have any spares sorry. How about @bob1200xl he might.

I've never really had much success with glue alone, it's just not strong enough depending on where the break is.

While I've never tried this on an A8 keyboard, I have had great success in the past carefully stripping the offending key down to it's individual components and very carefully and precisely drilling a small hole in the upper and lower components associated with the break (you have to make sure you're precise or the key could bind depending on whether it's the actual plunger that's broken). Once the hole is drilled, find a small bolt, cut the head off and carefully thread it into the lower half of the broken component - Make sure the bolt is the perfect size or you will break the plastic and end up worse off than when you began.

Once this is done, add a dab of glue and carefully 'screw' the top half onto the threaded headless bolt screwed onto the bottom half. Wait for the glue to dry, carefully sand until smooth (assuming plunger) and you should be good to go.

Precision is the key, I have a fairly well equipped workshop with magnifier - Which I need as my eyesight isn't as good as it once was! Even with good eyesight, I recommend the use of a magnifier.

The pole/plunger broke such that the "X" was stuck in the keycap. I was able to remove the piece stuck in the keycap using two fine dental picks. It wasn't easy and the process kind of mucked up the plastic a bit. (*jab*jab*jab*) Once the "X" piece was out I was able to glue it back to the pole/plunger. The result isn't pretty but maybe it's sufficient.

IMG_0226.jpg.87ceef452049d47ec156dc995dce83dc.jpg

The only glue I had was metal embedded epoxy. That is why the epoxy looks black. The "X" isn't perfectly straight, I think. It looks shifted to the side but that's the best I could do with what I have. 

If the offset isn't too bad then maybe this plunger can trade places with something that uses two plungers, like a Shift key. This specific plunger came from the Up arrow key.

All other keycaps popped off just fine and I was able to clean all the other keys.

@bob1200xl Thanks for your offer! This is the keyboard from our visit last week. I was kind of embarrassed to mention I broke the plunger while cleaning it. ? No good deed goes unpunished, I suppose. ? I'm going to put the keyboard back together tonight and see how it works.

• Like 1

I just wish enterprising person would do a set of the yellow stackpole plungers so I can fix my keyboard :)

As seen they are of an odd material that does not take super glue at all AND they have to remain glossy or they stick anyway...

I wonder what the cost of getting them manufactured would be if enough people wanted various plungers..Anyone who makes stuff know a rough idea?