damanloox

Why was 7800 discontinued

The games business is about games.  The Commodore 64 welcomed development.  Atari tried handle their home computers like a VCR.  Atari had no exclusive amazing killer app to move units, so why would third party devs want to pay Atari to make games on the computers?   Mad at Nintendo for their 1987 takeover?  They made Super Mario Bros and sold those systems all by themselves.  The game biz is about games.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, orange808 said:

The games business is about games.

One would be forgiven for assuming as much, but yes.  Yes, it is.  Oh, and keeping companies afloat by selling enough games to sustain the business.

The Commodore 64 welcomed development.  Atari tried handle their home computers like a VCR.

Please explain what you mean by both of these statements.  Neither one is self-explanatory.

Atari had no exclusive amazing killer app to move units, so why would third party devs want to pay Atari to make games on the computers?

Lolwut?

Space Invaders shifted 2600s, Star Raiders shifted A8s.  Sure, those were titles from the machines' early days, but they are the ones that really moved them into the marketplace.

As for third-party devs paying Atari to publish for Atari's machines...  Please do more research before spouting off about things that you clearly know nothing about.  Nobody had to pay Atari, as you suggest, to release software on their computers.  That was something Nintendo brought in with the NES, but it has bugger-all to do with Atari.

Mad at Nintendo for their 1987 takeover?  They made Super Mario Bros and sold those systems all by themselves.  The game biz is about games.

Read, learn, and know the history of the subject you're writing about before you bang the keys.  It'll save you from making statements like these.

• Like 2

Once the NES came out people played nintendo not atari. The language where I lived changed. Playing an atari meant playing an old game system from the 70s with poor graphics. The rage was for SMB and many other kids had the SMS with altered beast and hang on etc. My 1977 2600 could not do any of those things. 

Today when we talk about games we have to ask which system because there are many that normal people play. 

Back then it was atari and then nintendo. I feel like super mario bros killed atari and they were never able to make a game that was that popular. Atari meaning space invaders is dog poop in 1986. No one wanted to play old single screen simplistic arcade games.  Side scrolling with lots of levels and an actual ending was now what people wanted. Not points based zombie marathons of missile command. 

But markets and well this guy and that guy blah blah. Nintendo had Super Mario and good marketing to get people hooked on the new way to play games. I remember being too embarrassed to ask if someone wants to come over to play yars at my place.

We went in groups of 6 or 7 to the most unpopular kid's house cause his parents bought a new Nintendo from the city( 5 hour drive) and wanted to see what these nintendo commercials mixed into our saturday morning cartoons were all about. We were blown away. Fighting to gets to play next. Punches thrown etc. We all knew we needed one of these and anyone cool should have one. 

My parents were not going out to get a Nintendo so I at least had a decent skateboard. 

• Like 4