IGNORED

Quake is 25 this year!

Quake was awesome when it came out - I recently went through Quake 1 & 2 just for fun :) - Quake 2 has really small levels but you can see where they advanced the complexity of the games.

I hear they might return to the "gothic" Quake look in the next installment - I like Quake 1's environment

The SP part was pretty weak, but the MP was revolutionary. Some say it's still the best MP game out there, it's juts pure skills/tactics-based hardcore deathmatch, without any of the modern bullcrap.

When the original Quake came out I still could not afford a PC and only jumped on it when Quake 2 was released. Got quite heavily into the MP scene and lost a year of my life basically living it - in the daytime researching the best configs, organising tournaments, and watching Thresh's demos with my mates at the PC shop we were working at, and at night practicing at home with Eraser bots. Weekends=LAN parties. Crazy time.

I had a Quake 2 install on every PC since then and still play it occasionally. There are a few quality servers still going on.

• Like 1

At a computer store I worked at, the manager ordered the demo/shareware version. Along with that, he found the crack to unlock it. Needless to say, the employees bought most of the copies and we'd play Quake on the LAN at night. We even moved phones and had the conference mode turned on so we could chat and yell at each other. It replaced our Duke Nukem 3D nights.

Never completed the single player game but Quakeworld however....years and years (good ones) of my life on it! First at work on my University working gap year then online after that. Few big LAN parties with hundreds of people. I was in the top UK Clan for a while and always the top division. Only briefly played Q2, just not the same. Came out of retirement for a Q3 clan for a bit but meh....

Man, I still remember the 20th anniversary of Quake when MachineGames released their own mission pack for it....

I'd love to see a SP sequel to the original Quake because I loved the goth horror backstories that were hinted in Quake Champions.

14 hours ago, youxia said:

The SP part was pretty weak, but the MP was revolutionary. 

I personally love the singleplayer campaign and its mishmash of themes. It just oozes atmosphere and it didn't come across that you were just on another planet. The "boss" encounters were weak and they were improved somewhat with the 1.5 mod. I don't know, I think it might be my favorite title from id Software but maybe I'm nuts. I love Doom but I keep coming back to Quake more.

• Like 1

I loved Quake 1. With Sandy Peterson on board it had a nice nod to the Cthulhu Mythos. NIN soundtrack. Loved the setting and theme. That Ziggurat low gravity death match arena. Happy memories. I worked at a tech repair center and we had a bunch of machines set up on a LAN in the back for lunchtime matches. We used custom player skins. I had Han Solo and another guy had C3P0. Which meant he couldn't hide in the dark as his eyes glowed haha. Probably my favourite FPS until Half Life came along. I didn't care so much for the sequels as they went back to the usual Sci-Fi Tropes.

Where did those 25 years go, eh?

I loaded this back in 1997 (I think it was the demo, that came with a magazine) without even knowing what was going to appear on the screen.

And whoa! Blew me away, totally ahead of its time.

Interestingly enough, I didn't know how to play with the mouse, so I used the keyboard control with PgUp and PgDn for looking up and down, as I was used to Doom and Wolfenstein 3D.

Another detail is that I prefer this game without music, even if the music is awesome. I feel the same about Doom and Tomb Raider, I like both soundtracks, but the games play better without music.