IGNORED

PS3 Store Closing July 2nd

Rick Dangerous

I'm sure many of you got the below email recently.  Frankly i'm amazed it's still up!

Wanted to see what peoples final list of "Must Buy" digital titles were before this things close up; and make a few final purchases myself.

Worth noting--the PS1 titles can be bought on PS3 and then downloaded on your PSP for free.  So it's your last chance to get games like Silent Hill, Castlevania SOTN, etc. on your PSP for all of posterity. 

I'll add to this list but so far i recommend downloading:

-Far Cry Classic

-Double Dragon Neon

-Wolfenstein 3D

-Journey

PS1 Classics

-Silent Hill

-Castlevania SOTN

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 10.38.58 AM.png

I will probably grab some Silent Hill and Resident Evil PS1 titles.

I don't think I have played any of them yet, and at the price for the physical media of these titles I am not super keen on spending that kind of money on something I will probably play once just to see what the game is like.

I realize the PS3 is an old system now, but I am still shocked Sony is puling the plug on the digital sales for it. I doubt they are making huge profits off it, but for a strictly digital games market the costs to Sony would be pretty low as well.

It could be a bit of legacy stuff on the server that's holding them back with a combo of maybe getting folks to upgrade.

I hardly play my PS3 as it's pretty much used as a media machine. Buuuut....I might still peruse the store anyway as I also have a Vita. Maybe there are some PS1 games that might tickle my fancy.

23 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Not an idiot at all!  Some of the PS1 games on there are big bucks to buy original copies of now; and are only available on PS4-5 as part of a subscription service (PS now?).  Last way to own them on the cheap really. 

Oh yeah totally agree on that part!

I realized a few games that I can definitely suggest buying on the PSN for PS3/Vita/PSP as well!

All three Mega Man Legends games!

• Mega Man Legends - a classic~
  • Mega Man Legends 2 - a sequel to a classic and hard to find
  • The Misadventures of Tron Bonne - a lesser known title in the series, a physical copy of this goes for like $200+ so... less than $10 is cheap cheap!

I'd also suggest some of the following games as they're pretty decent titles without any modern way to get to them. 

• Final Fantasy Tactics / Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions - PS1 version is still good, but the PSP version has some nice polish added.
  • Legend of Dragoon - It hasn't aged super duper well, but it's still a fun and unique PS1 RPG experience!
  • Threads of Fate - Admittingly I've never finished this one, but I always really REALLY enjoyed the demo for it! An Action RPG with two separate but intertwined stories involving two characters with different powers. 
  • Future Cop LAPD - Just a really odd but surprisingly fun game. Very nice arcade-y gameplay and surprisingly fun 2-player mode (can be played with AI)
  • UmJammer Lammy - A sequel/spinoff of Parappa the Rapper that (personally) I find easier and more fun. 

Normally, I'd suggest all the Final Fantasy games here, but the modern ports have the nice "mods" in them. I would say I still prefer the original, but it's nice to have things like speed up to let you get through the game when you don't have the time. 

EDIT - OH GOOD LORD MISADVENTURES OF TRON BONNE CAN GO FOR OVER $400 NOW! WHYYYYY IT ISN'T EVEN THAT GREAT OF A GAME!?! ?

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
Checked Tron Bonne current prices.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, glazball said:

Someone mentioned in another thread that with the closing of the PS3 store, patches will no longer be available to download for PS3 games.  That's not my understanding - just that purchases will no longer be available.

Can anyone confirm?

TL;DR version - You will still be able to play online and do downloads.

From what I can tell, the only thing we're losing when the PS3/PSP/PSVita store goes is the ability to purchase NEW digital content. It doesn't affect any digital content you already own. Beyond that, I don't remember ever having to go online to the store to get patches. They also don't seem to be removing any sort of online capability. 

You should still be able to download your games along with any patches needed for said games. This feature was always just on the dashboard. Granted, if they ever remove the PlayStation Network from it, we might be screwed at that point...

I'll go ahead and link the full announcement on Sony's site on this thread as well. 

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

I believe the Hong Kong PSN store is the only place that still has Duke Nukem.

Should be easy enough to make an account and buy some points off PlayAsia. I've considered it before, but if I didn't want it badly enough when it was widely available, I decided I could do without.

22 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

I believe the Hong Kong PSN store is the only place that still has Duke Nukem.

Should be easy enough to make an account and buy some points off PlayAsia. I've considered it before, but if I didn't want it badly enough when it was widely available, I decided I could do without.

You have to prove that you live in HK to get them from Playasia. I tried and came up empty handed. I ended up getting a HK PSN card from ebay.

I didn't find out about the game until well after it got pulled. I ended up playing it on my friends Vita one day and liked it so much that I went digging to find a way. It was well worth the money and effort.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

So what other good digital only games should we all be buying? ?

I made a huge list the other day, some are PSN exclusives and not on the PS4:

- Gravity Crash 

- Pixel Junk Sidescroller

- Shatter 

- Pixel Junk Monsters/Encore

- Pixeljunk Eden

- Mushroom Wars

- Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty

- Super Stardust (better than the PS4 version)

- Hard Corps Uprising

- Raiden IV Overkill

- R Type Dimensions

- Söldner X Prototype

- Calling all Cars

- Tumble (Move Controller)

- Lemmings

- Dead Nation

- Blast Factor

- Critter Crunch

- Sky Fighter

- Savage Moon

- Rain

- The Unfinished Swan

- Digger HD

- Magic Orbz

- Wipe Out HD/Fury

- Cuboid

PS: Compared to Vita, the list is really tiny ;-) 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:17 PM, Tavi said:

I will probably grab some Silent Hill and Resident Evil PS1 titles.

I don't think I have played any of them yet, and at the price for the physical media of these titles I am not super keen on spending that kind of money on something I will probably play once just to see what the game is like.

I realize the PS3 is an old system now, but I am still shocked Sony is puling the plug on the digital sales for it. I doubt they are making huge profits off it, but for a strictly digital games market the costs to Sony would be pretty low as well.

The PS3 is very old and most games are on physical media anyway (dirt cheap), but shutting down the store for the Vita hurts as there were still new releases and a LOT of games were digital only.

• Like 1

Picked up House of the Dead 4 yesterday and was not disappointed!  The game ROCKS; even with the regular controller.   Need to get the camera and some of those guns to hold the move controllers now for the full experience...

Thanks for that great list above; will need to check them all out to see if any are up my alley. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Picked up House of the Dead 4 yesterday and was not disappointed!  The game ROCKS; even with the regular controller.   Need to get the camera and some of those guns to hold the move controllers now for the full experience...

Thanks for that great list above; will need to check them all out to see if any are up my alley. 

Time Crisis 4 is another one, but a physical release. And Child of Eden, cracking game. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, agradeneu said:

The PS3 is very old and most games are on physical media anyway (dirt cheap), but shutting down the store for the Vita hurts as there were still new releases and a LOT of games were digital only.

The Vita store closure is what's getting me. There are a bunch of Vita games that I want and they're not cheap... physical versions cost even more (or don't exist). I'll probably spend a couple hundred on Vita games before the store closes and still have to pick and choose.

PS3 store has been around long enough that I already had most everything I'd like. Still picking up a couple obscure titles that never had a sale (Choplifter HD, From Dust) and random DLC though.

So, this just popped up on my Twitter: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19/playstation-store-on-ps3-and-ps-vita-will-continue-operations/

It seems they are continuing the PS3 and Vita digital marketplace. Just the PSP is being discontinued now.

• Like 1

First the xbox, now the Ps3? Just leave it open, they didn't close off support for windows XP (still gets critical updates) so why my third favorite console?

Keep it open, keep the games listed, you're not making money off of it, let us have it and go on your way. Or, here's an idea, make ALL the games free. 

Money grubbing snakes