IGNORED

Spartados X 4.49 patition corruption

Quiver

So I had decided to copy the latest Fast Basic from an ATR imaged mounted from a FAT partition to my programming partition. It gets partway through copying the files then out of the blue it fails with a file path error. Do a dir of the destination partition and I find that all entries are garbage. Aside from how this shouldn't happen during a file copy how would one go about attempting to fix this? There doesn't seem to be any kind of filesystem check utility included in the firmware, which seems to be asking for trouble IMO. I do have a backup of the APT partition so worst case I can overwrite the container, but it would seem like I'm only resetting the time bomb.

53 minutes ago, Quiver said:

There doesn't seem to be any kind of filesystem check utility included in the firmware, which seems to be asking for trouble IMO.

There is no need for (nor any onus upon) the firmware to provide filesystem checking tools when any one of a myriad of file systems may be used and when the SpartaDOS X Toolkit includes a file system repair tool (CLX) for the SDFS file system.

It may be that your HDD is experiencing intermittent transmission errors; you could try running the RWCRC tool (also from DLT) to try and verify whether a large file of CRC checksums can be written to and read back from the hard disk.

• Like 1

I'm sorry about the misunderstanding flashjazzcat. By firmware I was speaking about the SDX software distribution. In any case thank you. I really needed to know the name of the file system repair tool. Couldn't find a thing about it doing a search. Again thank you. I'll have to try this utility tomorrow. Too late to try tonight.

So the partition was too far gone to fix. After CLX got done with it I was left with a blank partition. I kinda figured that was going to happen given how badly it was corrupted. At least I have a backup image of the APT container. Not the best case but better than what I was left with. Thanks for the help.

I ran RWCRC the partition passed with flying colors. I did though encounter some other odd behavior. I attempted to copy files from the FAT partition to the Sparta partition. It failed with error 144 a write protection error. After running CLX on the partition to clear the resulting inconsistency I mounted an ATR image and copied files from that. No problems.

Is there a known issue with copying files directly from a FAT file system to a Sparta or Atari file system?

None I would know of. I just checked: copied an entire directory from FAT to SDFS, no problems.

I must take a look at RWCRC, this program is suspiciously indulgent...

[EDIT] What version of FATFS driver you are using?

Edited by drac030

Even if RWCRC is like an indulgent grandma not noticing that the kids are fighting in the back of the car it doesn't explain transfers from a mounted ATR image residing on the FAT filesystem that I'm having problems directly copying from working without any issues. I think I'll check if I'm using the latest version of FATFS.SYS.

Updating the FATFS.SYS driver fixed the failed copying from a FAT file system to a non FAT file system.

I suspect that what cause the initial failure that started this thread in the first place was a file system already containing errors, which I was unaware of, that I tried to write to. This caused the file system to turn into a steaming pile of non-differentiated data that was beyond reconstruction efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

this is a recurring issue with the wrong FATFS.SYS (etc) version being the culprit... is there any way to hunt down the old versions and murder them. Something/anything to end it.

Better yet, a version check utility! Using the information normally contained in the Sparta files to advise the end user of issues. Simply run the latest 449XCHEK. or 450XCHEK  etc and let it point out the offenders that will surly fail based on it's database of tested drivers etc.

It sure would help some of the folks out.

Edited by _The Doctor__