IGNORED

Reccommend some Homebrews for me!

Ed in Rancho

Hello!  I'm new to the site, but I do have an original Atari VCS 2600 and several hundred original cartridges.  I'm been reading about the Harmony cartridge and definitely will get one in the near future.  In the meantime, can you guys recommend some Homebrew games for me?  I'll likely buy some (or all) the Champ Game carts (Galagon, wow!), but what are some other good ones?

So far, my favorite Homebrews are:

Pac-Man 8K (wow, would have been a smash hit back in the 80s)

Donkey Kong VCS (again, very stunning!)

Tower of Rubble (just the demo, but it is a lot of fun!)

Stay Frosty (cute graphics, love the concept, great game)

Juno First (I'm lousy at these defender-like games, but I must admit this is a very well done program)

Robot City (solid stealth / action game with tanks)

Toyshop Trouble (love the concept of painting toys in race against time!)

Astar (very challenging puzzle game)

Slide (another challenging puzzle game, simple graphics but highly effective)

Ed

• Like 2

Space Cactus Canyon and Blinky Goes Up are both very cool original games. Fall Down is a must have (especially if you have someone to play 2 player with). Assembloids is a fun twitch/puzzle game. Aardvark is a great port of Anteater. Duck Attack is a fun homage to Adventure. Honestly, there are too many good ones out there to list (it'd probably be quicker and easier to list the games I wouldn't recommend). Which ones are the best depends on your taste in games.

• Like 1

Just in case you didn't know.  Stay Frosty 2 is different from the original.  Play the original on your Harmony cart and buy the sequel!

Also, Oystron and Marble Craze tend to be forgotten as they are older brews, but I think they are 2 of the best ever.

• Like 1

This one...oh wait, not a homebrew (?)

Some of the lesser mentioned favorites of mine are...

- A-vcs-tec Adventure (If you pick it apart you might find a few faults but it's damn fun. Twitch style game/etc..)

- LEAD (This is an under rated shooter in my opinion, love the music)

- Chetiry (If you don't own tetris on a million systems already, buy it, if you do maybe pass, it's just tetris lol)

- Elevators Amiss (nothing deep or complex, simple to play, not sure why I like it so much but I always have fun when I play it)

- Dungeon (this one is hit/miss, sometimes I love it, sometimes it makes me mad, but when it's good it's GOOD lol)

- Fall Down (if you have a friend that will play games with you BUY IT!! solo is not as fun, 2 player is freakin awesome)

- Phantom2/pirate (the little random pirate mini game is the bees knees!)

- Power off! (This one might be more of a nostalgia thing for me, it's okay but was the first homebrew I bought IIRC. Hard to feel nostalgia on a homebrew but then again, it's been almost 20 years so....)

• Haha 1

No Wizard of War with the AtariVox?  It really blew me away and I wasn’t a fan of the arcade game in the 80’s.  Also, if you liked Star Castle, the homebrew is hard as hell but fun.  I did enjoy Galagon but it’s an accurate rendition of the arcade game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rcajun90 said:

No Wizard of War with the AtariVox?  It really blew me away and I wasn’t a fan of the arcade game in the 80’s.  Also, if you liked Star Castle, the homebrew is hard as hell but fun.  I did enjoy Galagon but it’s an accurate rendition of the arcade game.

That ones a top 5 homebrew for me, but since he said he was already going to buy all the Champ Games homebrews, I figured I'd recommend some of my lesser mentioned favorites :)

On 3/30/2021 at 2:12 PM, Ed in Rancho said:

Hello!  I'm new to the site, but I do have an original Atari VCS 2600 and several hundred original cartridges.  I'm been reading about the Harmony cartridge and definitely will get one in the near future.  In the meantime, can you guys recommend some Homebrew games for me?  I'll likely buy some (or all) the Champ Game carts (Galagon, wow!), but what are some other good ones?

Ed

Welcome Ed!

I'd recommend any homebrew titles I have written in my 5 homebrew books! http://amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I recently gave Cannonball Clash a shot. Boy that's fun!  Of course, I feel stupid losing to the bloody computer, but it's cute / fun / challenging.  Ditto for Fall Down, a very great game!

Space Rock is great arcade action!  I was a fan of the original 2600 Asteroids, so Space Rocks is even better!

I think Cubis is the best of the 2600 Tetris clones.  The controls are smooth and feel the most like Tetris...but I have to play with the sound off.  The music is TERRIBLE.

• Like 2