IGNORED

baby steps - sample title screen

Ok, so the 2020 programming contest has me all motivated now.  We shall see if I have enough talent to get this game completed.  I may always just beg someone/many people with the the hard core skills to team up with me....I've got a long way to go.

I got this game idea in my head while I was out on one of my long distance runs, and literally wrote up a design document for it when I got home. So, it is inspired by real life events. In 2019 I decided that to celebrate turning 50, I should do something outlandish like train to run a full marathon. My wife has run 4, and I've run 3 or 4 half marathons up to this point.  I was all set and ready to go in March of 2020 but then COVID went and ruined everyone's life.  I used to joke when people would complain about a vacation or a concert getting cancelled, well how would you like it if you trained for a marathon and it got cancelled!?!?   So, rather than quit, I kept training and now the 2021 marathon is this May. I don't want to jinx myself yet but when I complete it I am going to get some kind of intellivision running man tattoo to celebrate the event.  I've already got 3 video game related tattoos so what's 1 more.  Once the marathon is over, I'm going to cut back on the miles I train to stay in shape but leave more time for programming and practicing my bass.

I've read the excellent tutorial on how this site to use Paint.Net to create cool BMP files to use for games, sprites and title screens.  I'm getting the hang of it...if I could only master the use of the lasso....lol

So, here is a WIP title screen for a my WIP game.  Obviously, it's going to be some type of scrolling endless runner....well not quite endless.....

feel free to ignore this, reply with any questions/comments or advice or to tell me I suck.....really, I know I am not showing much and am not trying to brag or show off, I know this is newbie work, just happy to finally do something!  Please don't take my idea!!! LOL.

MQ.jpg

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 5

What if you approached the game from a strategic standpoint on top of the running event itself.

Like adding a cash management aspect and be able to invest in better shoes, or decide to spend on a plane ticket to compete in a bigger event.

Also maybe look at other competitors and realize that they have different "profiles". Some keep the same pace throughout, others will also save energy to sprint toward the end, etc.

With that knowledge you could decide on a strategy to beat them.

9 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

What if you approached the game from a strategic standpoint on top of the running event itself.

Like adding a cash management aspect and be able to invest in better shoes, or decide to spend on a plane ticket to compete in a bigger event.

Also maybe look at other competitors and realize that they have different "profiles". Some keep the same pace throughout, others will also save energy to sprint toward the end, etc.

With that knowledge you could decide on a strategy to beat them.

We are on the same page. I've got a simple arcade-y concept I need to work out first, and if I can get that up and running, I definitely have an RPG/strategy like element I want to add.   Managing stamina is definitely a critical component.  I definitely want to make this hard but it still needs to be fun and make you want to try again

thanks for the input.....but....like I said I need baby steps.  I'm getting 1 thing done at a time.  At least now people know why I was asking about being able to track time....

• Like 1

I think an "endless runner" would be a good idea.  Obviously, it could not be entirely "endless," or else it wouldn't be a marathon; but marathons themselves are rather long.

I could see something like a cross of Paperboy and one of those "parkour-style" endless runners:  Intellivision Running Man signs up for a marathon and he must run through the streets, parks, hills, and countryside of Intyland; navigating obstacles and avoiding hazards, such as manholes, stray dogs, oblivious pedestrians, fallen trees, construction sites, murder hornets, litter, obnoxious cyclists, angry birds, moving men, falling pianos, muddy puddles, blind ditches, etc., etc., etc.

If Running Man makes it to the end alive, in a respectable time, he gets a sponsor contract with a name-brand sneaker company, who provides better running shoes in time for the next marathon.

-dZ.

5 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I think an "endless runner" would be a good idea.  Obviously, it could not be entirely "endless," or else it wouldn't be a marathon; but marathons themselves are rather long.

I could see something like a cross of Paperboy and one of those "parkour-style" endless runners:  Intellivision Running Man signs up for a marathon and he must run through the streets, parks, hills, and countryside of Intyland; navigating obstacles and avoiding hazards, such as manholes, stray dogs, oblivious pedestrians, fallen trees, construction sites, murder hornets, litter, obnoxious cyclists, angry birds, moving men, falling pianos, muddy puddles, blind ditches, etc., etc., etc.

If Running Man makes it to the end alive, in a respectable time, he gets a sponsor contract with a name-brand sneaker company, who provides better running shoes in time for the next marathon.

-dZ.

exactly.  Just running would be boring!  I'm going to have to obstacles, got lots of different ideas and can add yours to the pile...haha

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

Sorry, but I got inspired. :) Feel free to use/adapt it if you like (since you play the bass, you probably know enough about music already). The original runs a 16-bit against triplets which would consume a lot of space so I made it into a 12/8 shuffle instead.

chariots.bas 9.97 kB · 2 downloads

chariots.rom 4.56 kB · 1 download

OMG....

I swear this community has a hive mindset.

For music, I obviously wanted 'run' related music and the chariots of fire theme was a no brainer.  I will definitely use this (and give you credit!)

I was also thinking like Born to Run from "The Boss" or  Run Run Away from Slade.

Now I have my work cut out for me....I need to deliver on this game....haha

• Like 2

i'm not going to be annoying and post daily, or even weekly updates, but I am inspired now!  I've already cleaned up the title screen so it does not look as sloppy. I'm going to add a sprite to it and Carlsson's music and it should be a wrap. Then i can start the next part...   I'll probably come back when I am stumped on something.....lol.

Oscar's new book is came out at the PERFECT time. It was meant to be for me  :)

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2021 at 9:49 PM, DZ-Jay said:

Speaking of Paperboy I noticed Skywaffle was playing around with the idea of a Intellivision port of that. Doesn't seem to be a thread here about it though.

• Like 1