IGNORED

New book: Advanced Game Programming for Intellivision

Hi everyone!

It's my absolute pleasure to announce the availability of my book Advanced Game Programming for Intellivision, the second in the series!

In this book I discuss the development of games looking more professional both on terms of title screens, gameplay, sound, and music. The complete source code for Oh Mummy! Pumpkin Master, Meteor Storm, and Dungeon Warrior is included. Each of these games includes a particular technique that I wanted to comment: Oh Mummy! movement of the player on a maze, and how enemies pursue the player. Pumpkin Master, shooters techniques to create tons of bullets without exceeding total sprites. Meteor Storm, techniques for pseudo-3D scaling of sprites, animation of screen zones with multiple images. Dungeon Warrior, techniques for drawing pseudo-3D mazes on screen, including scaling of enemies per depth, and of course algorithms for Role Playing Games.

A full chapter dedicated to the creation of sound effects and converting music sheets to IntyBASIC is included, furthermore tips for converting pictures to Intellivision graphics. And there is more of course like a foreword by @intvnut, and the appendix Tips from the Trench by @Zendocon. ;)

BTW the beautiful Intellivision II shown in the cover is courtesy of @Rev

Enjoy it!

Paperback (Lulu): https://www.lulu.com/en/en/shop/oscar-toledo-gutierrez/advanced-game-programming-for-intellivision/paperback/product-q8gzjn.html

Hardcover (Lulu): https://www.lulu.com/en/en/shop/oscar-toledo-gutierrez/advanced-game-programming-for-intellivision/hardcover/product-m5p856.html

Paperback/Hardcover (Amazon): https://www.amazon.com/-/es/dp/1678045624/

E-book: https://nanochess.org/store.html

P.S.: BTW this book at 294 pages is bigger than the first one!!!

foto1_promo.jpg

foto2_promo.jpg

foto3_promo.jpg

Video of the book:

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, nanochess said:

I've signed many of these, you would need to ship it to Mexico, and I would ship back.

thanks....I would hold out for the hard copy for that.  I need to get the paperback now though.

Thanks for all your hard work.....I've had so much fun tinkering around with Intellivision programming.  I 'm still terrible at it, but having fun nonetheless.

• Like 1

i know you get plenty of appreciation on this forum, but I just wanted to thank you again for all this effort.

The intellivision is by far my fondest video game memories from my childhood. I came from a relatively poor family and everyone had an Atari. I used to have to go to their houses to play games. Then my upstairs neighbor had the Intellivision and I was hooked. And then me and my brothers all worked odd jobs and pooled our money and ultimately got our own Intellivision. Such a great system and library

So, to be able to tinker around and try to program games for Intellvision is really like me being able to relive my childhood.  It's almost therapeutic!

PS....I recently watched the Queen's Gambit on Netflix, so I'm totally digging the Kilobyte's Gambit

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mik's Arcade said:

i know you get plenty of appreciation on this forum, but I just wanted to thank you again for all this effort.

The intellivision is by far my fondest video game memories from my childhood. I came from a relatively poor family and everyone had an Atari. I used to have to go to their houses to play games. Then my upstairs neighbor had the Intellivision and I was hooked. And then me and my brothers all worked odd jobs and pooled our money and ultimately got our own Intellivision. Such a great system and library

So, to be able to tinker around and try to program games for Intellvision is really like me being able to relive my childhood.  It's almost therapeutic!

PS....I recently watched the Queen's Gambit on Netflix, so I'm totally digging the Kilobyte's Gambit

Thank you for sharing!

Coincidentally my neighbor downstairs also had an Intellivision when I was age 5, but I wasn't allowed to touch it because I had a history of breaking controllers ?

So talking about a "must have" that keep until the adult age ? glad you are enjoying it!

PS. Haha you saw the chess games!

7 minutes ago, nanochess said:

Thank you for sharing!

Coincidentally my neighbor downstairs also had an Intellivision when I was age 5, but I wasn't allowed to touch it because I had a history of breaking controllers ?

So talking about a "must have" that keep until the adult age ? glad you are enjoying it!

PS. Haha you saw the chess games!

I still haven't beaten it.  Your chess code is too smart!!  LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, masseo1 said:

Wow, I just found this today in here.

Congrats on your second book! in a long series ? :)

Im having a tough week, so this was a welcome sight on my screen...

image.png.f641afdffeb34260025914e2e60929d3.png

Thanks!

I don't know. Took me 3 years to write the second book.

Cool! I hope it leverages your day at least a little.

By the way, is there a reason or is it a mistake that the price if you buy from Lulu in French or German is 30% lower than if you buy it in English (US)? That is before shipping, which is roughly the same for both options. I seem to recall something similar was true about your first book too, much cheaper on Lulu if bought from what appears to be an EU printer than an US printer.

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

By the way, is there a reason or is it a mistake that the price if you buy from Lulu in French or German is 30% lower than if you buy it in English (US)? That is before shipping, which is roughly the same for both options. I seem to recall something similar was true about your first book too, much cheaper on Lulu if bought from what appears to be an EU printer than an US printer.

Didn't knew about this. I'll give a look. Supposedly I set a price and it is translated automatically.

Edit: just revised and Lulu had some strange numbers for the other currencies. I put again the USD price and all changed accordingly. Not sure what happened but indeed the price was lower.

Edited by nanochess

1 minute ago, carlsson said:

Hm. I can swear it was 17.xx EUR yesterday when I looked, but now it is 25.50 EUR. The US price is 29.27 USD. It must have been a currency conversion hickup at Lulu's side. Too bad I didn't take advantage of it. ?

Just changed it a few minutes ago! ?