IGNORED

1200XL just sold for $531 on eBay. WHY?

ACML

31 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

I also found out that price tends to go up each time a youtuber makes a video about a specific model. Jazzflashcat released a video on a 1200XL recently...

My God... does this mean I am an 'influencer'? :D

Over here in the UK (and the EU), 1200XLs have always commanded a high price, assuming you can find one for sale at all. That sorry-looking orange 1200XL in my video apparently cost 150 Euros. It was missing all four rubber feet and was as dirty inside as it was on the outside. I would expect a good-looking example to easily fetch twice that much.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

8 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

My God... does this mean I am an 'influencer'? :D

Over here in the UK (and the EU), 1200XLs have always commanded a high price, assuming you can find one for sale at all. That sorry-looking orange 1200XL in my video apparently cost 150 Euros. It was missing all four rubber feet and was as dirty inside as it was on the outside. I would expect a good-looking example to easily fetch twice that much.

Of course you are!

I love your video and I've watched them back to back. I'm in Canada and never seen a 1200XL in the wild myself. 

But joking aside, there really is a corelation between youtube video and uptick in availability and price hike. I've seen it many time that right after a popular videogame/retrocomputing video is posted you see a batch of new auctions being created on eBay for that product where none were available the day/week before. 

• Like 3

Supply and demand, I suppose. If two or three individuals watch the videos and decide they'd like to build something similar or send me a 1200XL (I know of two who were inspired to at least try), it won't take long for the available supply to be completely exhausted.

Thanks for the kind comments anyway. :)

7 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Supply and demand, I suppose. If two or three individuals watch the videos and decide they'd like to build something similar or send me a 1200XL (I know of two who were inspired to at least try), it won't take long for the available supply to be completely exhausted.

Thanks for the kind comments anyway. :)

My pleasure!

• Like 1

Perhaps it's something people in the US aren't used to due to the fact more people appeared to have disposable income in the 80s for luxury items like computers, as a result there isn't the demand issue that there is in other parts of the world? Furthermore, PAL A8's tend to fetch higher prices.

In Australia, Amiga 500's are going for $250.00+. If it's in a box it's $500.00+. Personally, I don't care for boxes. Obscure items like Atari 850's or the CMD range of hardware for C64's you quite simply will never find in Australia, your only option is to import from the US.

Even AmiBay's quite pricey now.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ivop said:

Don't know, but don't wait too long. The potential buyers have to be still alive! ;)

Agreed- My parents found a near mint Hopalong Cassidy lunchbox in the attic of the home they moved into. I suggested they sell it- and similar ones were going for several hundred on eBay at the time. 30 years later, I'm seeing the same lunchbox with $25 BIN pricing.

• Like 2

There was another one not too long ago that sold for over $400 also.  I don't really get it.  I bid on this one but they passed the max I was willing to bid like 2 days before the auction closed, and I was already feeling guilty considering spending as much as I was on such a thing.  Oh well.

I'd like to get one someday because the very first Atari I bought, new and from a store, was a 1200XL.  I sold it because friends convinced me I really wanted one of the older models for compatibility with things.  It was probably the right decision at the time, but now I'd like to get a replacement for sentimental reasons.  The prices are just insane though, and frankly, it just isn't as important to me as it obviously is to others.

Isn't that a good chunk of the cost of a 1088XLD w/daughterboards?  Sheesh! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

In Australia, Amiga 500's are going for $250.00+. If it's in a box it's $500.00+. Personally, I don't care for boxes.

I have mixed feelings about it having a box.  It's kind of cool to get to see an original box, but is then annoying to have to store the box...  Ultimately though I think it will be easier to sell it again down the road if I need to and make the next person happier if it comes with a box. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Even AmiBay's quite pricey now.

It's also rather empty most of the time. A bought a few good items via AmiBay but most of the time there's little new stuff, not anywhere near the traffic on AtariAge Marketplace, at least for Atari stuff. 

On 3/31/2021 at 9:17 PM, Tuxon86 said:

But joking aside, there really is a corelation between youtube video and uptick in availability and price hike. I've seen it many time that right after a popular videogame/retrocomputing video is posted you see a batch of new auctions being created on eBay for that product where none were available the day/week before. 

Happened to me when I bought a C128 after listening to the Retrobits podcast and thinking it was quite a unique machine. 

10 hours ago, nadir said:

I have mixed feelings about it having a box.  It's kind of cool to get to see an original box, but is then annoying to have to store the box...  Ultimately though I think it will be easier to sell it again down the road if I need to and make the next person happier if it comes with a box. 

It would be nice to have a stack/stash that looks like an Atari store but to be honest, I never even had boxes for both of the two Ataris I got in the 1980s (800/810 and Mega ST). My parents/the dealer must have discarded them before I ever touched them. I have a few for Atari consoles I bought new but most of my stuff is unboxed. 

14 minutes ago, slx said:

It's also rather empty most of the time. A bought a few good items via AmiBay but most of the time there's little new stuff, not anywhere near the traffic on AtariAge Marketplace, at least for Atari stuff. 

Well, there you go. I didn't even know there was an AtariAge marketplace..!

• 3 weeks later...