IGNORED

Mouse Trap Disassembly

DEBRO

Hi there,

Here is another one by the Workstead Design group. This one is credited to Sylvia Day and Henry Will, IV. It looks more like Sylvia Day did this with Henry's help in areas. Seems that way from Henry's notebook too.

I've including switches to build NTSC, PAL50, and PAL60 versions.

I highlighted or commented the area where the fourth cat was disabled. You can comment out this area to build the game with four cats. Enjoy

Mouse Trap Disassembly

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Hi Dennis, great to see all your Atari 2600 disassemblies are now available on github; I wasn't aware that you moved them there. Nice!

I wonder how you can tell - only from looking at the code - that this game was mostly done by a single developer (Sylvia Day). Is there like a specific pattern you noticed?

• Like 1

Hi there,

16 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I wonder how you can tell - only from looking at the code - that this game was mostly done by a single developer (Sylvia Day). Is there like a specific pattern you noticed?

It's more a feeling but having Henry's notebooks helps too.

Henry doesn't go to in depth about Mouse Trap in his notebook like he did for Word Zapper or Squeeze Box. There are areas in his notebook where he references helping on Mouse Trap. What really makes me feel this way though is the structure of the code. I've done two of Henry's game so far and they have a similar structure. Though Gopher which is credited to Sylvia also has this same structure in a way.

From the games I've seen of Henry's he uses almost a type of FSM in his games. This doesn't exist in Mouse Trap. I'll have to go a little further and look at Smurf's Rescue. I'm curious to know if the FSM exists there too.

The code does feel like different developers worked on it. For example, the movement values are different from the Cat desired movement values. It could just be a coincidence but I don't think this would have happened if one dev worked on it...then again...maybe it would have.

• Like 1