IGNORED

Movie Cart

rbairos

9 minutes ago, freshbrood said:

Will this ever be able to implement into a standard Atari game? Can we soon develop 2600 games with FMV cutscenes?

Maybe. The processor is quite limited.  But I think a good next step after MovieCart, is a full FMV game, since the processing is pretty straight forward.

• Like 1

Already nearly have a playable DL... just need to incorporate the navigation for the onscreen scenes to be interacted with. Oh...yeah...and get Don and Digital Leisure's permission and blessing too. But I suspect that might be tough.

Still can you imagine how much our little heads would have exploded if this had been possible in the early 80s!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, freshbrood said:

That should definitely be the next step. It would revitalize the homebrew scene.

I'm playing with the title screen kernel now. Maybe that code could be modified to adapt this into a game with the custom hardware?

Batari basic integration!

The current code doesn't do too much.
It monitors up/down/left/right/button to provide a mini on-screen display for volume/brightness/position.
It also keeps track of a current frame.
Technically if the FMV game is just picking between different movie clips, based on some tree of choices, that would be easy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Already nearly have a playable DL... just need to incorporate the navigation for the onscreen scenes to be interacted with. Oh...yeah...and get Don and Digital Leisure's permission and blessing too. But I suspect that might be tough.

Still can you imagine how much our little heads would have exploded if this had been possible in the early 80s!

What are you making?
Sounds intriguing!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I was in the Daphne dev team and I remember well when we obtained the permission from the Digital Leisure for sharing official LaserDisc captures for the emulator. People could get those "rips" which was encrypted, and they had to unlock them by inserting an original DL/SA/TW DVD-ROM/Video disc in their PC/Mac.

I already had the idea of a DL porting for the VCS, years ago, and at the time it was intended to be a kind of "platformer" Pitfall-like but project stopped due to the lack of time and progarmming skills...

I showed all my project to a person I know at Digital Leisure (a friend/neighbor of mine did some italian translations for the manuals included in the DVD-ROMs and console like PS2 and Wii  versions) and he said that LLC partners would not consider it a source of income, so there would be no problems regarding the small amount of possible cartridges produced and sold. At now the problem is the copyright factor for the name of the game itself and for all the characters who, as you well know, have returned a few years ago to be an integral part of the retro-gaming world and therefore have regained a lot of popularity. Then, unless I had thought to buy a license, the best thing would have been to change the names, of the game and of all the characters.
Of course... this makes sense for the "platformer" game, certainly not for a homebrew that controls a movie taken from the laserdisc ;) .

VCS_DL_Box+cart.jpg

Edited by macdlsa
  • Like 3

As part of this project, I also created an automatic box + label graphics maker, I can demo at some point if anyone's interested.
I had a lot of fun creating possible 1970 movie candidates for the final 5 movies I made:

The resolution is too low in this attachment, but all the movie + copyright year info is accurate, and easily editable.

I used https://www.stickeryou.com/  for the vinyl cart stickers (they were great)
and staples copy center for the boxes + instruction manuals (cheap + good quality).
I used a variety of online effect generators like https://www2.lunapic.com/ and some others to get the painterly effects from the photos.
I put everything together in a custom editor I wrote for TouchDesigner.

over1.jpg

Edited by rbairos
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, rbairos said:

As part of this project, I also created an automatic box + label graphics maker, I can demo at some point if anyone's interested.
I had a lot of fun creating possible candidates for the final 5 movies I made:

over1.jpg

What about the 1973 George Lucas film, American GraffiTIA?

The movie cart should follow the Dewey Decimal System. :). Although, Atari quickly game up on their numbering scheme, with only 10 slots reserved for each genre. They ended up just going sequentially.

The cart should be CX26791

Motion Pictures and Television

The March 2009 New and Changed Entries postingfocuses on 791.43 Motion pictures, 791.44 Radio, and 791.45 Television

https://ddc.typepad.com/025431/2009/03/motion-pictures-and-television.html

• Like 1