IGNORED

Movie Cart

rbairos

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 5:44 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Here is a quick and simple demo (no movie!) which shows my fixed kernels in action. It should be rather easy to replace the current kernels with these and remove the timing problems (vertical black lines left and right) that way.

image.png.b3ce4287478bea285d9dfbcfd0cc4d44.png

BTW: There seems to be enough free CPU time to allow stereo audio. :) 

movie_kernel.thumb.png.f2f832cdaa7db06f0587ade3ca042e5d.png

movie_kernel.bin 2 kB · 13 downloads movie_kernel.asm 8.72 kB · 10 downloads

Okay, 

I finally got this kernel implemented.
Took me a while, as it forced me to clean up some surrounding parts, and fix a missed audio sample.
This is really amazing as you've freed up plenty of cycles that I can now use to explore changing background color per line to enhance the encoding.

Thank you very much!!

Rob.

• Like 10

On 4/22/2021 at 5:47 AM, rbairos said:

Okay, 

Took me a while, as it forced me to clean up some surrounding parts, and fix a missed audio sample.
This is really amazing as you've freed up plenty of cycles that I can now use to explore changing background color per line to enhance the encoding.

Thank you very much!!

Rob.

I've updated Gopher2600 to use the new kernel if anyone wants to try it.

https://github.com/JetSetIlly/Gopher2600/releases/tag/v0.10.2

• Like 2

Bit of a hiccup here...

boo@Andrews-MacBook-Pro Gopher2600 % make release
go: downloading github.com/inkyblackness/imgui-go/v4 v4.1.1-0.20210318203605-5b07f5877b09
vertex and fragment shaders generated
cpu instructions generated (71 missing, 72% defined)
go build -gcflags '-c 3 -B -wb=false' -ldflags="-s -w" -tags="release"
gui/sdlimgui/fonts/fonts.go:44:8: package embed is not in GOROOT (/usr/local/go/src/embed)
make: *** [release] Error 1

8 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Bit of a hiccup here...

boo@Andrews-MacBook-Pro Gopher2600 % make release
go: downloading github.com/inkyblackness/imgui-go/v4 v4.1.1-0.20210318203605-5b07f5877b09
vertex and fragment shaders generated
cpu instructions generated (71 missing, 72% defined)
go build -gcflags '-c 3 -B -wb=false' -ldflags="-s -w" -tags="release"
gui/sdlimgui/fonts/fonts.go:44:8: package embed is not in GOROOT (/usr/local/go/src/embed)
make: *** [release] Error 1

Try upgrading the Go compiler to at least 1.16 (1.16.3 is the latest). The embed package is a recent addition.

Edited by JetSetIlly

37 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

Try upgrading the Go compiler to at least 1.16 (1.16.3 is the latest). The embed package is a recent addition.

TY that fixed it. Took forever to compile, including a system crash/reboot on a linker error. Seems the latest go is a bit unstable on MacOS.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:47 PM, rbairos said:

Okay, 

Thank you very much!!

Rob.

There was a suggestion of adding stereo sound, but if you are combining the two 4-bit TIA channels anyway, I might suggest a way to get 8-bit audio out of these two channels. Store one channel as normal, which contains the upper 4 bits of the sample. The second channel contains the lower 4 bits. For the second channel, turn it on then off exactly 5 cycles later, giving an effective attenuation of 5/76th across the scanline. I expect the sound quality could be vastly improved with such a method.

If using immediate loads, it's 5 cycles for one channel, 8 cycles for the second (assuming a value of zero preloaded somewhere to shut off the second channel after 5 cycles.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, batari said:

There was a suggestion of adding stereo sound, but if you are combining the two 4-bit TIA channels anyway, I might suggest a way to get 8-bit audio out of these two channels. Store one channel as normal, which contains the upper 4 bits of the sample. The second channel contains the lower 4 bits. For the second channel, turn it on then off exactly 5 cycles later, giving an effective attenuation of 5/76th across the scanline. I expect the sound quality could be vastly improved with such a method.

If using immediate loads, it's 5 cycles for one channel, 8 cycles for the second (assuming a value of zero preloaded somewhere to shut off the second channel after 5 cycles.)

I'll definately keep it in mind but to start I'm going to focus on any possible graphics changes. That's interesting about combining audio.

Also should mention I just changed the mvc format as it still had an old color swapping section that is no longer needed with @Thomas Jentzsch changes.

I didn't change any internal version number as its still pretty early in its release hopefully.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rbairos said:

I'll definately keep it in mind but to start I'm going to focus on any possible graphics changes. That's interesting about combining audio.

Also should mention I just changed the mvc format as it still had an old color swapping section that is no longer needed with @Thomas Jentzsch changes.

I didn't change any internal version number as its still pretty early in its release hopefully.

https://github.com/JetSetIlly/Gopher2600/releases/tag/v0.10.3

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, batari said:

I've logged these notes as an enhancement request issue on the git.
Cheers.

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 11:59 PM, rbairos said:

included is the 80 pixel colorized and the larger 96 pixel b/w kernel :

Hi, sorry to "resume" this thread so late ... 

Is there any update/improvement/news about the way to stream video+audio data from an external storage device thru the VCS and maybe control clip's correct execution with precise and desired interactions with the usual controls via joystick / firebutton ? 

On 8/8/2021 at 3:20 PM, gambler172 said:

Is a moviecart also possible for the 7800?

Gopher2600 and a branch of Stella support playback.  I'm not familiar with 7800 hardware but I believe it plays native 2600 carts so in that case it should work.

On 8/8/2021 at 4:44 AM, macdlsa said:

Hi, sorry to "resume" this thread so late ... 

Is there any update/improvement/news about the way to stream video+audio data from an external storage device thru the VCS and maybe control clip's correct execution with precise and desired interactions with the usual controls via joystick / firebutton ? 

Several people have inquired about purchasing a movie cart, so I've started designing V2 this month , which should reduce the number of chips from the 2 large ones, to one medium sized one. (Still through hole soldering) This means, besides being easier to make and half the price,  it should fit inside a standard combat cartridge without all the modifications the first one needed.

Quality is still limited of course but once V2 is out hopefully people would be encouraged to make their own movie clip style games.

Cheers

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rbairos said:

This means, besides being easier to make and half the price,  it should fit inside a standard combat cartridge without all the modifications the first one needed.

Maybe consider a 3D-printed cartridge shell?  I'd be happy to assist with the design.

• Like 1