IGNORED

R-Type Final 2

Well, I beat the game on normal. I have never finished any R-Type game before. I think it's also my first time beating a game before it is released, as well. The final boss was pitiful... it died in about 10 seconds and never even attacked me.

Overall the game is pretty easy on normal once you learn the game. Stage 6.2 boss is quite difficult, though. R-Typer difficulty is extremely difficult, so if you like seeing the game over screen, make sure to play on R-Typer. Stages will change if you play on R-Typer, so... yeah, I'll let you guys see what I mean. It seems that all of the difficulty settings have their own routes after a certain point and I know exactly where that point is. Continues are limited but you can get more of them somehow and I had 99 of them at one point, but the number you get seems to depend on difficulty.

All of the ships are a lot of fun to use, but some of them require passwords. It looks like some are going to be patched in later or something. Not sure what is up with that. Unlocking ships is interesting since you have to finish levels to get materials to make them. I spent like 4 hours just replaying the first half of the game with different ships. R-9DH3 Concertmaster's MASSIVE laser is really fun when you fully charge it! It's not practical to use that huge laser, though.

Switch version's resolution is quite poor and it has framerate problems in some situations, but it's playable and quite fun. Looking forward to playing the PS4 and PC versions.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

So much for limited continues. Don't know what I did, but I have this now.

2021042900381700-B7AFFF165C7D08895C2A2635BF72464E.thumb.jpg.e57c915abe1392aed5bf572b9d494f6c.jpg

Minor post game spoilers

Spoiler

2021042900203000-B7AFFF165C7D08895C2A2635BF72464E.thumb.jpg.c59982f948e2124e0c67ecc809cad216.jpg

2021042900193300-B7AFFF165C7D08895C2A2635BF72464E.thumb.jpg.8751799bdc09a6e091e35e15cdcf747b.jpg

Hey look, I found the hardest difficulty setting~

2021042900210900-B7AFFF165C7D08895C2A2635BF72464E.thumb.jpg.082d7f4f5a5b6f1ce61285d56935860e.jpg

It lets you change the title screen by selecting up to 3 words from a set of presets once you beat the game.

Edit: what the hell? I just pulled my Switch out of the dock and it said I downloaded ANOTHER patch. I didn't mention it before, but I already downloaded a patch for it. This means there was both a day -1 patch and a day 1 patch. I hate how modern games always do this. Anyway, I wonder what the patch changed. Maybe some of those locked ships are now unlocked... but I don't have enough resources to make more ships right now.

Okay, yeah, it looks like at least 1 ship got patched in. There are so many of them that it's hard to keep track of them all. Now only 1 ship that I have not unlocked says to wait for Granzella to develop it. The ships that require passwords have not changed, though.

Done with Bydo difficulty. Stage 6 is easy but the stage 6 boss is extremely difficult (way more difficult than stage 6.2 boss) and there are certain ships that will struggle even more to the point where I wouldn't even fight the stage 6 boss with them (R-9E3 Sweet Luna). This one boss took me at least an hour to kill, if not more. Stage 7 is not so bad. There are a few things in this game that will kill you instantly with basically no warning (stage 3 boss lasers, stage 7.2 thrusters, stage 7 boss thrusters), so watch out for those.

I ordered a game for pickup this morning from the best buy downstairs from me at work.. I go in there and she brings my game up AND R Type Final and then says she can't break the street date and I can pick that one up tomorrow :/  I almost had it!!!   I almost blurted out not to manhandle the game lol.  I didn't, but i wanted to.

11 hours ago, Zoyous said:

You are an R-Type master! What do you think of the game overall? Where would you rank it among the other ones you've played?

No, I am terrible at R-Type. I fed this game literally around 30 credits or so just for this Bydo playthrough. The game itself is good, but it's definitely the easiest one I have played. R-Type and R-Type II are way harder than Final 2 is by far and I've never finished either of them unless you count R-Type I on the PC Engine. I've only played Delta and Final for maybe 30 seconds~3 minutes and have never finished the first stage of either game. Music is decent. Nothing particularly memorable like the music in R-Type and R-Type II, but the ending theme, Monochrome, is beautiful... if you understand Japanese. I do, so it is, but probably not for people who don't.

The various ships are a lot of fun to use. There are a lot of them and in the not-Switch versions, they are all rendered beautifully, so if you like R-craft, you need this game. Even the Switch version's ship models looks pretty decent in game for the most part, though, but sadly, the R-craft models in the R's Museum on Switch don't look so great. They are not super incredibly ugly, but they are not great, which makes me sad, as you can float around in there in first-person mode and view the R-craft from that perspective. On Switch, there are a few ships that appear in-game with some pretty low resolution textures and models, like the R-9DH3 Concertmaster, unfortunately, but I guess that's how it is.

lol I forgot the most important part: this game is excellent and EVERYONE needs to play it. I have absolutely no issue with buying copies for PS4 and PC in addition to my crowdfunding Switch copy. Granzella deserves my cash and they will get it.

PS4 copy is arriving tomorrow, but I'll be at work. Hopefully it's small enough for them to fit it in my mailbox, but I doubt that they will leave it in there, as they usually don't put stuff in my mailbox when I'm not home. I suppose I will see how it goes tomorrow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

Just how difficult is Final 2 is to R-Type 3: The Third Lightning?

I have only gotten to stage 3 in R-Type III, so I can't really say. Put Final 2 on R-Typer and it becomes extremely difficult. I can't make it past stage 2's halfway point on R-Typer yet.

It seems that difficulty settings do not affect the route you take. I just played through stages 1-5 on normal, but then it sent me to stage 6. On my previous normal playthrough, it sent me to 6.2 instead. I wonder what causes the change.

So it seems that what determines what route you take is

Spoiler

that big transport thing at the end of stage 5. Kill it and it will drop 4 things. The thing you pick up determines what route you take. There are 4 of them but only 3 routes for some reason. Maybe one of them gives you a random route, but I don't know. Not sure what happens if you don't pick up any of them...

It also seems that my PS4 LE copy has been delivered, according to the tracking information, which means they put it in my mailbox instead of holding it for me! I am extremely glad they did that and I can't wait to go home and play it! It's the Japanese version, so I also get a small model of the R-9A! I have wanted a model R-9A for about a decade now but never got one for some reason. Now it will sit right next to my models of the Styx and Rynex from Thunder Force III and IV.

I also got the Amazon Japan-exclusive cardboard box decal for my ships, so maybe I'll post screenshots of it if anyone wants to see it. Solid Snake would be proud~

16 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

is there a password for unlimited lives and invincibility?

lol the game just released and we don't know all of the passwords yet, but using a continue starts you at the same place that you'd start in if you died and you'll eventually have unlimited continues, so yeah, it basically has unlimited lives already.

3 hours ago, Outdoormongoose said:

I have mine coming next week. I played a ton of rtype on the master system and snes.

Still looking for a replacement rtype final on ps2.

From what I have seen, people generally consider Final 2 to be much better than Final and generally say it is as good as Delta, which some people consider to be the best R-Type game. I should probably finally play that game beyond the first 30~60 seconds or so...

Oh, now that I read your thing again, you're looking for a copy of Final? Uh... I think the PAL version is cheap on ebay. NTSC-U version is about double the price of the PAL version, but still not bad. NTSC-J is the most expensive, to my surprise... I bought a basically brand-new copy of the Japanese version from a friend who takes excellent care of his games about 1.5 years ago or so for 2000 yen, I think. ebay prices are getting really bad recently.

Got my PS4 copy, played 6.1 and 7.1. That was... unexpected. 7.1 starts out really interesting, but then it quickly devolves into the most boring mission in the game. It's also the longest by far.

I should easily be able to 1CC this game on normal now. Maybe some more practice might be needed, but I don't think this game is too difficult at all on normal.

Well, I found the reason that I was having difficulty with R-Typer: I wasn't using the R-9Leo2 LEOII. This thing is damn near broken and it just rips everything apart. Halfway through the game on R-Typer with no deaths on my first time flying it with absolutely no effort at all. I only died because I thought one of the insane amount of lasers bouncing around was one of mine since they all looked basically the same, but it wasn't. Now it's 0400, so time to go to sleep so I can wake up in 6 hours and play the game some more.

I was shocked to catch a random notification late this morning, but R-Type  Final 2 showed up on GoG of all places.  It's nice to see when a new game shows up there, not just on Steam.  I'm tempted a bit to grab it, but I've never had a lot of luck enjoying R-Type games, other than the SNES(3) I've never finished one either.  They just feel too busy and cramped I think, not really sure, as I'm fine (or at least in my prime was fine) with other contemporaries like the Gradius/Salamander stuff, various ones on Neo-Geo too.

22 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

From what I have seen, people generally consider Final 2 to be much better than Final and generally say it is as good as Delta, which some people consider to be the best R-Type game. I should probably finally play that game beyond the first 30~60 seconds or so...

Oh, now that I read your thing again, you're looking for a copy of Final? Uh... I think the PAL version is cheap on ebay. NTSC-U version is about double the price of the PAL version, but still not bad. NTSC-J is the most expensive, to my surprise... I bought a basically brand-new copy of the Japanese version from a friend who takes excellent care of his games about 1.5 years ago or so for 2000 yen, I think. ebay prices are getting really bad recently.

I largely stopped playing shooters around the PS1 era. I stopped playing most games around the PS1 era as I hated early 3D. I didn't really come back into gaming until the Xbox and ignored the PS2. I got the ones I wanted them sold them a few years ago. Now I want them back lol. 

Yea, I've been trying to replace the PS2 Final. I just found a Slipheed on PS2. They seem to go for about 20-35 on ebay. I don't really care about CIB, I just want the case/art and disc. 

Played the PC version for a bit. The gameplay is decent but gfx sadly pedestrian. That's a big letdown in an R-type game. I guess there's no chance for making a proper 2D title these days, but even PS2's 3D one was more imaginative than this. It reminds me of Bloodlines, the same discrepancy between gfx & gameplay.

22 hours ago, youxia said:

Played the PC version for a bit. The gameplay is decent but gfx sadly pedestrian. That's a big letdown in an R-type game. I guess there's no chance for making a proper 2D title these days, but even PS2's 3D one was more imaginative than this. It reminds me of Bloodlines, the same discrepancy between gfx & gameplay.

Yes, I got the PC version yesterday and the graphics are not much better than the PS4 version.

By the way, in case there is anyone who thinks this game is too easy, 7.2 on R-Typer turns into a bullet hell with an unbelievably massive wall of enemies that cover the entire screen and fire homing bullets and a checkpoint immediately before it with only a single Force powerup. This is as far as I have gotten on R-Typer: