IGNORED

R-Type Final 2

5 hours ago, Outdoormongoose said:

Been playing it a bit tonight. Seems ok so far. Still learning the mechanics, new ships and how the game plays. 

I'll die a thousand times before I rtfm. 

Yeah, it takes a while since you have to learn everything. Game's not so bad after that, though, until you get to R-Typer and the 2 extra unlockables, R-Typer 2 and R-Typer 3, but even then, only some of the stages are difficult. I used score attack to try that insane wall of enemies on 7.2 on R-Typer, R-Typer 2, and R-Typer 3, and it turns out that I made it through that wall and even the entire stage every single time with literally no effort.

Anyway, it looks like VR first person mode and multiplayer may (which also means may not) be coming to the game in the future: https://www.gamespark.jp/article/2021/05/03/108324.html

41 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

@Steven Pendleton, you said in your weekly game log not to play the Switch version. I don’t have a PS4 and I don’t really like to play games on my PC. Should I wait until I get a PS4 or something?

Yeah, Switch version runs poorly, has long loading times, has poor texture quality, the LEO's Bits don't work properly, the system itself has a bad d-pad that's located in the improper position, Pro Controller also has a bad d-pad that's located in the improper position, and a few more things. PS4 version also has an unstable framerate with occasional stuttering, so PC version is best. I also get near-instant loading on PC, as well, which I don't think the PS4 version has.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Ugh. That’s awful. Did it launch worldwide all at the same time? Maybe a patch can fix at least some of those things?

I also forgot to mention that the Switch version uses an extremely obvious dynamic resolution, so stuff looks extremely low-res at times. I'm not sure what the resolutions are, though. Anyway, game launched on consoles the 29th in Japan, on the 30th overseas, and I think on the 1st or something like that on PC in Japan due to time zone differences or something like that.

3 hours ago, Outdoormongoose said:

Ps4 or Ps4 Pro?

My pro handles it fine? I haven’t tried it on the 5 yet.

PS4 Non-Blast ProcessingTM Edition.

• Like 1

Note for the two Xbox One X (not Series X) users here: Avoid. Runs like crap on the system. Gameplay constantly jumps between 20 and 60fps. Instead of opting for slowdown like in Final 1, they went with frame skipping and the constant fluctuation is extremely jarring. The introduction sequence before you even take off probably runs at 15. It's baaaaaad (and honestly, there's no excuse for this kind of performance when the base PS4 runs it almost flawlessly).

That said, the game seems fun otherwise. There are some things that seem lazy compared to Final 1 and Delta, but the gameplay itself is decent.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Austin said:

Note for the two Xbox One X (not Series X) users here: Avoid. Runs like crap on the system. Gameplay constantly jumps between 20 and 60fps. Instead of opting for slowdown like in Final 1, they went with frame skipping and the constant fluctuation is extremely jarring. The introduction sequence before you even take off probably runs at 15. It's baaaaaad (and honestly, there's no excuse for this kind of performance when the base PS4 runs it almost flawlessly).

That said, the game seems fun otherwise. There are some things that seem lazy compared to Final 1 and Delta, but the gameplay itself is decent.

That sounds horrible. Perhaps Granzella overworked themselves by trying to release it on so many systems and ended up with everything being not as optimized as possible.

7 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

That sounds horrible. Perhaps Granzella overworked themselves by trying to release it on so many systems and ended up with everything being not as optimized as possible.

Yeah it's possible. I have a theory that the One X version is being treated like the Series X version, which may account for its performance problems. But as someone that's not looking to double dip on this and backed the Xbox version on Kickstarter with the [reasonable, I think?] assumption it would run great on a One X, it's very disappointing.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Austin said:

Yeah it's possible. I have a theory that the One X version is being treated like the Series X version, which may account for its performance problems. But as someone that's not looking to double dip on this and backed the Xbox version on Kickstarter with the [reasonable, I think?] assumption it would run great on a One X, it's very disappointing.

Yeah, there is no reason for the Xbox version to run that badly. I'm not sure exactly how the One X and the Series X work with their whole "backwards compatibility but some games upgrade to Series X version" (I think...?) thing... your idea would make sense, though, as in that case the game would be trying to use power that isn't there since it's the wrong system.

I can say that the PC version runs essentially flawlessly, though; I see my framerate counter go to maybe mid 40s when the screen is black in between levels when it's loading, which is perfectly fine, but nothing other than that, including that crazy section on 7.2 on R-Typer, which still runs flawlessly on my computer, which is from 2017, so it's not like it's especially modern or anything. There are no graphics settings other than framerate and resolution that I can remember, though, so those with weaker PCs should perhaps stay away.

• Like 1