IGNORED

Berzerk Homebrew Idea

JJohnson

I've been playing Berzerk, and while it's a cool game, it's very very easy to be put in a place where you either get hit by an enemy missile, touch and enemy, or touch the wall, all with one-hit death.

My idea to 'improve' Berzerk would be to add a life meter of some kind so you get a few hits before you die, say 5 hits, and every time or every other time you hit a robot, you get a recharge 'battery' to restore the life meter.  

My second idea would be to make the mazes actually mean something.  They seem random as it is.  What if they led to a confrontation with 'evil otto' and when you destroy him, you win?

Third idea - make it two player, preferably at the same time.  So, same amount of recharges for the life meter, meaning you kind of have to work together to get to the next screen.

Just two ideas that I think would make it more fun to play the game.  I am not very good at programming, especially for the 2600, but I know plenty of people on this board are very skilled at this.  Is this a doable change to the game?

5 hours ago, JJohnson said:

I've been playing Berzerk, and while it's a cool game, it's very very easy to be put in a place where you either get hit by an enemy missile, touch and enemy, or touch the wall, all with one-hit death.

My idea to 'improve' Berzerk would be to add a life meter of some kind so you get a few hits before you die, say 5 hits, and every time or every other time you hit a robot, you get a recharge 'battery' to restore the life meter.  

My second idea would be to make the mazes actually mean something.  They seem random as it is.  What if they led to a confrontation with 'evil otto' and when you destroy him, you win?

Third idea - make it two player, preferably at the same time.  So, same amount of recharges for the life meter, meaning you kind of have to work together to get to the next screen.

Just two ideas that I think would make it more fun to play the game.  I am not very good at programming, especially for the 2600, but I know plenty of people on this board are very skilled at this.  Is this a doable change to the game?

Love your first 2 ideas....

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 6:12 PM, DeafAtariFromKansas said:

Another Berzerk from scratch called Frantic 2600 by Spiceware (Still in Work in Processing)

Another ? for Frantic. It's an awesome game so far!

2 hours ago, geosteve said:

how about a 2600 port of this classic robots in mazes shooter? can it be done?.. 

Never saw that game before. It reminds me a bit of Zombies Ate My Neighbors for Genesis and SNES.