IGNORED

ColecoVision Green Static

Phalaris

I was able to purchase two consoles.  I was working on one of them, and did the following mods/upgrades.

• Fast Boot Bois
  • Replaced the electrolytic capacitors
  • 5v Memory
  • Replaced the controller IC's

After finishing all these, I powered on the console, and all I get on the TV is green/black static.

Was hoping that someone out there had some experience with this and could offer some assistance in getting this resolved.

I'm assuming that you tested the console before doing the mods and it was working. 

Seeing as a number of things you changed could affect/break the display on screen it's most likely one of your "mods" as being the cause.  Things to check:

1.  BIOS - did you verify that the BIOS rom had been correctly programmed into the EPROM?  Exactly which BIOS did you use?  Did you solder in the two jumpers and cut the two traces necessary when installing a 28 pin EPROM?

2.  Electrolytic caps - double/triple check that you installed all of them around the right way.

3.  Where did you source the +5V memory chips from?  Are they all receiving +5V?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

1.  BIOS - did you verify that the BIOS rom had been correctly programmed into the EPROM?  Exactly which BIOS did you use?  Did you solder in the two jumpers and cut the two traces necessary when installing a 28 pin EPROM?

I sourced all of these parts from Console5.  I think I was able to figure out the issue. I cut the traces for the Bios upgrade, but looking at photos I took, I seemed to have forgotten the WJ4 & WJ5 jumpers. 

Will install those tonight. Pretty sure that will be my issue.

13 hours ago, Phalaris said:

I sourced all of these parts from Console5.  I think I was able to figure out the issue. I cut the traces for the Bios upgrade, but looking at photos I took, I seemed to have forgotten the WJ4 & WJ5 jumpers. 

Will install those tonight. Pretty sure that will be my issue.

Great - do let us know if adding the jumpers fixed the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I apologize that I didn't respond sooner.  Yes.  That certainly did fix the green static issue I was having.  I've completed all my mods, and have to say that the AV (Red, White, Yellow) looks great.  Everything is working beautifully.  Thank you all.

33 minutes ago, Phalaris said:

I apologize that I didn't respond sooner.  Yes.  That certainly did fix the green static issue I was having.  I've completed all my mods, and have to say that the AV (Red, White, Yellow) looks great.  Everything is working beautifully.  Thank you all.

Great to hear - hope you can now enjoy your ColecoVision.