IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Week 9 ~ Bronze Medal Winner Pick

Vocelli

9 hours ago, 5x7 said:

i need to get my joystick overlay so I can play properly...lol

18B66368-B8C7-4BEF-AF7C-8F9663912A95.jpeg

I saw that overlay yesterday on the Cola Wars or somesuch on Discovery, had NEVER seen/heard of it before, I thought it was pretty neat to randomly see it this week!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Atarian7 said:

That's how it is for most of us I think and that's part of the fun.

I like a little mix of what I know, and what I don't know, but I also lately particularly like playing games I DO know on unusual difficulties(i.e., not necessarily the easiest).

The weeks where I have to learn a new game, kinda hit and miss-on the hits, it becomes a fun week of trying to get better, takes a lot of playtime. On the misses, I just crap out after a few attempts-I want to do well, and I want to do the best I can, but I really don't put a lot of priority on "winning", IDC.

On the weeks where I do know a game, I feel like I have more time to just casually pick it up here and there, knowing I'll eventually hit a good game, less pressure, almost a "bye week", so to speak, lets me catch up on other aspects of life(who am I trying to kid...this IS my "life", lol. Sad. [Naw, very much "by choice"].)

The biggest fun for me, really, is just knowing there are 50+ people, all around the World, grinding together on the same old assed game that some people thought would never be played again. We really are "something else", IMO, glad to butt heads with all of ya!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2021 at 8:15 PM, kermit73 said:

Like most games this HSC, I've never played this game before.

4 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

That's how it is for most of us I think and that's part of the fun.

I hope my comment did not come across as negative.  I agree that this is a part of the fun and a great way to discover some of the better games available for the platform that extend beyond the couple dozen cartridges I had as a kid.  Another benefit of the HSC is the folks usually pick out some of the better games, allowing me to avoid wasting my time on most of the absolute garbage games that were produced for the 2600 in the mid-late 80s.

My comment about the unusual joystick inputs still stands.  I find it very awkward to have a scenario where a button push on a game like this does something other than fire a weapon all while pulling down without the button push does fire a weapon.

With that said, I think it's appropriate for me to share some positive comments about this game.

One thing I've come to really appreciate about this game is how it does the scoring and picking the optimum strategy to maximize your score.  Docking on the starbase adds supplies, but not docking gives you bonus points at the end of the round.  Since this bonus increases as the game progresses, there is a hint in the manual suggesting that you dock early in the game to collect supplies, but not dock late in the game to collect the points.  What's interesting is figuring out the optimum point at which to stop docking and start collecting points.  My best scores so far are when I wait until after defeating the third nomad (or starting sector 3.1) to stop using the star bases.  When watching the top two performances on Twin Galaxies (scores in the 800-900k+ range), I observed that one of the players never docks on the star bases (always collecting the bonus) and the other player only docked up to the first nomad.  I'm not sure of the best strategy, and it probably varies from one player to the next depending on their skill.

Another thing I can appreciate about this game is the manual indicates there are 10 sectors (meaning that the last sector is 9.6 since it starts at 0.1), but the farthest I've seen anyone get so far is somewhere in sector 7.  I wonder what happens after defeating the last nomad in sector 9.6.  The three possibilities I can think of are the game ending, the game going back to sector 9.1 and continue repeating the most difficult levels, or the game resetting back to sector 0.1.  If the game does in fact end, that would mean that there is a maximum possible score (probably around 2M), which could only be achieved by never docking and making sure you hit every 5000 point anti-matter saucer that appears.  The fact that the game gets challenging enough in the higher levels that nobody has made it this far is a big plus in my mind on how this game was designed.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kermit73 said:

I hope my comment did not come across as negative.  I agree that this is a part of the fun and a great way to discover some of the better games available for the platform that extend beyond the couple dozen cartridges I had as a kid.  Another benefit of the HSC is the folks usually pick out some of the better games, allowing me to avoid wasting my time on most of the absolute garbage games that were produced for the 2600 in the mid-late 80s.

My comment about the unusual joystick inputs still stands.  I find it very awkward to have a scenario where a button push on a game like this does something other than fire a weapon all while pulling down without the button push does fire a weapon.

With that said, I think it's appropriate for me to share some positive comments about this game.

One thing I've come to really appreciate about this game is how it does the scoring and picking the optimum strategy to maximize your score.  Docking on the starbase adds supplies, but not docking gives you bonus points at the end of the round.  Since this bonus increases as the game progresses, there is a hint in the manual suggesting that you dock early in the game to collect supplies, but not dock late in the game to collect the points.  What's interesting is figuring out the optimum point at which to stop docking and start collecting points.  My best scores so far are when I wait until after defeating the third nomad (or starting sector 3.1) to stop using the star bases.  When watching the top two performances on Twin Galaxies (scores in the 800-900k+ range), I observed that one of the players never docks on the star bases (always collecting the bonus) and the other player only docked up to the first nomad.  I'm not sure of the best strategy, and it probably varies from one player to the next depending on their skill.

Another thing I can appreciate about this game is the manual indicates there are 10 sectors (meaning that the last sector is 9.6 since it starts at 0.1), but the farthest I've seen anyone get so far is somewhere in sector 7.  I wonder what happens after defeating the last nomad in sector 9.6.  The three possibilities I can think of are the game ending, the game going back to sector 9.1 and continue repeating the most difficult levels, or the game resetting back to sector 0.1.  If the game does in fact end, that would mean that there is a maximum possible score (probably around 2M), which could only be achieved by never docking and making sure you hit every 5000 point anti-matter saucer that appears.  The fact that the game gets challenging enough in the higher levels that nobody has made it this far is a big plus in my mind on how this game was designed.

After completing sector 9, the sector counter whole number rolls to a blank, with the next wave displaying as " .1" rather than "0.1". The weird thing is when you complete Sector " .6", you loop back to Sector " .1", and the game at this point will loop this way infinitely and if I recall correctly, the skill level no longer increases. I did it once about 30 years ago (~1.4M-ish), and I know of others who did the same and better, but as they say: no vid, no did. ? Regardless, that's what happens.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 6

Star Trek 819500

I'm not quite sure what to make of the Nomad round at 8:25.  I never managed to hit it and after awhile, the game made a strange buzzing sound and ended the round flashing black and white rather than the normal rainbow animation.  Apparently you can "lose" the Nomad round without the game ending.  I've had this happen in a few games, but don't see any mention of this behavior in the manual.

image.thumb.png.d056f3b2da75b103fe07fcd5daf7d527.png

Edited by kermit73
fixed a typo
  • Like 7