IGNORED

x vs. o

This is a thread where I will post updates to the game I'm working on called "X vs. O." The object of the game is to guide the X to the O and then press fire. You'll get a point and another O will appear on the screen.

There's no way to die yet, but I will add a letter L, and if you touch it you'll die. So basically it's like my fly swatting game for the Game Boy.

Questions:

If I make the letter L the ball, can I make it another color or does it have to be yellow since the COLUPF is yellow when I'm drawing the sides of the wall?

Can I reuse the missiles? Right now the missiles are the doors in the buildings on top, but I was wondering if I could also make them appear and move them around in the play area?

Here is the game as it stands April 2, 2021.

xversuso8.bin

• Like 2

I figured out the answer to question #1. It must be yellow. But I still don't know about question #2.

I got a letter i moving in the game, and the letter o does, too. But you still can't die. Even if you could, it still doesn't seem very hard. Perhaps if I add a timer and if the player doesn't get the o when it reaches 0 the game ends? I don't know what to do.

xversuso11.bin

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I decided to work some more on this. If you keep pressing the button, after half a second, it won't work and you won't catch the O and get a point. I also redid the in-game screen and made it so the O comes out in a random X position instead of either the extreme left and right.

xversuso12.bin

• Like 1

23 hours ago, atari2600land said:

There's something that I can't quite put my finger on that is making this be a really fun game, perhaps you can give me feedback on what I should do.

Possibilities:

• The i could speed up over time (to a limit, so you can still escape it)
  • The O could speed up over time making it harder to catch
  • You subtract points for pressing the button when you're NOT on the O

- James

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing x vs. o on tomorrow's (Tue Aug 31, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day!

Games:

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)