IGNORED

Attention XEGS Owners - What do YOU call your XE Game System??? "X-E-G-S", "zeggs", or "XE Game System"?

BIGHMW

What do YOU call your XE Game System???  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU call your XE Game System???

• Spell it ("X-E-G-S")
    • Speak it (pronounced "zeggs")
    • By its full name ("XE Game System")

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:23 PM, MrFish said:

It's none of those.

The system's name is the "XE System", and says so on the machine, keyboard, and manuals themselves. Rather bland, but there you have it.

All this Game System stuff was just packaging. There was a 65XE marketed as a "Game System" too. I think, in this case, Game System just meant that a lightgun and grey CX40 were included.

I agree 100%. It is NOT a useless game console, it's a computer. Yes, it can play Pac-Man. Ther's also Atariwriter, Syncalc, and the Print Shop.

1 hour ago, KG7PFS said:

I agree 100%. It is NOT a useless game console, it's a computer. Yes, it can play Pac-Man. Ther's also Atariwriter, Syncalc, and the Print Shop.

Well, I really meant that all this "Game System" stuff as the name for the system -- as seen on the boxes of many units -- was about packaging. It certainly was designed to be at least similar to a console, and even function without the keyboard (given the right software -- as in most of XE carts). It really is a different beast than all the Atari 8-bit computers that came before it; and it's obvious it was largely targeted at the gaming market; but, yeah, essentially it is an 8-bit computer; and I think it was pretty clear that Atari wanted people to know that it was capable of being used as one as well.

On 4/2/2021 at 4:27 PM, MrFish said:

318788147_65XEGameSystem.png.33d1fd1d8e1e7ff5d0d2fb0d8a8125e0.png

Hmmm, I never saw that version. I only thought this version was made. When I first got into the retro gaming hobby in early 2000s, I bought a complete one like below sans box for $20 at a yard sale. I thought wow finally I can buy all these awesome systems my family was too poor to buy when I was a kid. 

I guess there was also a basic system without the keyboard and gun. I love car the cartridge slot is angled and the 80s pastel colors. Sadly and stupidly I sold it a few years later.

8wJnLiHjUptF5KVUXGe6JTJobjmqMxRs-qnoPHdN