IGNORED

Weird emu glitches with some recent homebrew

Shannon

Recently I've been trying out some recent homebrew on emulators and I've noticed some odd graphical glitches.  I'm trying to figure out if it is an emulator issue or something else like cartridge headers.

The emulators are.  Emu7800 (retroarch) and a7800x ( Xbox emulator based on mess 7800 emulation ).

The games are

Chase

Milli and Mollie

Popeye

Wizard Dungeon

Thank you

Edited by Shannon

4 hours ago, Shannon said:

...it is an emulator issue...

...Emu7800 (retroarch) and a7800x...

Answered. :)

Emu7800 (retroarch) is based on the antiquated ProSystem emulator's console emulation.

a7800x is based on MAME(/MESS) 0.153, also outdated as far as 7800 console emulation accuracy and support.

6 hours ago, RevEng said:

7800basic uses some stable-but-undocumented opcodes, to speed up it's sprite routines. This broke some of the emulators without complete 6502 implementations.

Thanks RevEng.  I suspected that but I forgot to mention that possibility.  I'm trying to figure out some way to run these on my mini console.  I think I can use Mess/Mame but I'll have to edit an XML file and put some CRC's in it.

4 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Thanks RevEng.  I suspected that but I forgot to mention that possibility.  I'm trying to figure out some way to run these on my mini console.  I think I can use Mess/Mame but I'll have to edit an XML file and put some CRC's in it.

It depends. If you're using a front-end or CLI, you can skip the CRCs. Something like "mame64 a7800 -cart /path/to/my.a78" works.

• Like 1

Yeah sadly I'm limited to the retroarch implementation on the min consoles.  So no parameter passing.  :|

Uggh... Mess needs headerless files.  Popeye is not headerless.  Isn't there some online tool to remove/add headers to 7800 ROM files?

Edited by Shannon

3 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

Just out of curiosity, what are the graphical glitches?

When sprites aren't perfectly aligned in a zone, the zone graphics are incorrectly aligned. Some lines appear as if they're missing, other lines appear to be duplicated.

730590187_prosystemwizd.png.ca704cdfb702ef3d54f94035247fbc22.png

• Like 1