IGNORED

Annual Atari Gamer game jam

Igor

Hello! After running 3 different game jams/coding competitions, I've learned quite a fair bit about running these types of events. I think the most fun jam was the LynXmas one, it had a great community feeling and people shared screenshots and info about their games. The discussion on the official thread was also very welcoming and warm.

I'd like to continue putting these game jams on as an annual event and I'd like to lock in a time of the year for them. Here's my current thinking...December 1 - December 15 seems like a time frame that worked for everyone. In terms of theme, I will be going with one every time and it will be something different every time. I will also continue putting them on itch.io as that provides a good platform for submissions, payments, voting, etc.

So I'm opening up this discussion for any other suggestions, ideas, requests, etc...

Note that if the old world comes back someday, that would put the competition right after silly venture, but then at the same time if the competitive aspect is removed, that's not a problem anymore, people will be less stressed and willing to show even unfinished/draft work.

• Like 1

I have been banging on my piano keys. It is funny how the meaning of the lyrics can be interpreted in a different way today due to the pandemic.

Memory,

all alone in the moonlight,

I can smile at the old days,

life was beautiful then,

I remember a time I knew what happiness was,

let the memory

live again.

(I just found the notes my girls purchased years ago. Playing it made me think about the lyrics.)

Running LynXmas again sounds as a safe bet.
Who knows if retro events will be allowed any time soon.

• Like 1

Not sure I'll call it LynXmas again, but that does have a ring to it I suppose...any other ideas for the name?

Noted about SV, it is very close in time, maybe 2 different events is something to consider? One competitive and one for fun?

LynXotica tickles my fancy!

What about timing, any more comments on that? This is more for the devs of course. Maybe if I don't do it in December but end of November it will decouple it from being a "Christmas Event"?

I could call it "Lynx: Rebirth 2k21" and have it kick of 25th of November (my son's birthday ?)

• Like 1

I think that the best periods are in july and in the first half of september, but other people could not agree.

In november and december I don't have too much stress from my job so they are also good months, but I usually do some travels in that period (I mean before COVID).

The important thing is to know the dates of the Jam in advance.

Edited by Nop90
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 6:50 AM, karri said:

For me the best time is probably starting on the 25th of November. This gives enough of time to even make a cart release and have it shipped before XMas. I used to team up with @Turbo Laser Lynx for our Christmas releases in the past. Who knows if it would work this year again...

@karri I have immensely enjoyed all of our co-op double releases, they were all so much fun! Obviously I'd like to collaborate again in the future! This winter I got sucked in beyond the event horizon of a black hole, damn kaamos darkness of the north!

It's very frustrating, but it's still completely random and out of my control if I have any creative energy in the late evening when the day is done. Often you have to sleep or recuperate with something "useless". Still trying to figure out how to get more time on my (and everyones) hands, and less grind (but haven't come up with anything realistic). :_( Anyway, spring did wake me up, so cultivating "retro-computing hope" again haha.:grin: Hopefully you're doing fine and that you're as excited as ever about your different projects!

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1