IGNORED

Why is my display not quite right?

Tetlee

Hi guys,

I don't see how I can find a solution this issue but does anybody have any idea why my display is slightly off-centre to the left?

I thought I chose display very carefully to give me an accurate display as possible for an LCD, it's ok for most games(games like Parsec look great), some others like one of my old faves Burger Time look pretty ropey but maybe that's just the way it was with different Devs? 

It does iritate me that the TI display can't be centred like I see on most of the displays I've seen posted on this forum. Am I alone with this niggle?

I'm using the France only Scart cable, I bought the system from France mainly so I could have this cable as from my research that should give the best image for PAL region.

IMG-20210403-121158-2.jpg

I've been through all the screen settings and nothing can be done there. Do we think this is just an issue with he display I settled on or could the computer have some sort of minor fault?

Thanks guys and sorry for a silly question.

Edited by Tetlee

12 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

It may be an issue with the video alignment of the SCART adapter, as I've never seen the console do that on its own.

Oh I wonder, it's the official scart cable rather than an adaptor. Maybe there's an issue with the cable. Either way I guess I'll just have to live with it. Might try on the downstairs TV later to see if that's the same.

3 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Official or not, the signal may be drifting out of spec. The conversion circuitry in the adapter box between the console and the SCART connector is 40 years old--and there may even be an adjustment potentiometer or two in there.

Makes sense, I tried it on the downstairs TV, image was horrible on that one(just aswell I bought this screen special) but it did show the same way slightly off centre.

Maybe I'll get one of those new Scart cables I believe somebody on here was making in the future.

Thanks both for your replies.

Hello @Tetlee,

I checked lot of screens on internet images and almost all has the same slightly display off-centre to the left, maybe the only one that haven't is using the F18A in VGA or emulators.
In addition the problem is also because some LCD screen, like your showed in the first post, are not really 4:3 so they need to adapt the screensize. The output result, of course, can change from different monitors/brands and how them manage the signal from SCART. 
On some monitor CRT and also early LCD at least, there is a setting in the menu to adjust the position of the screen and center it better, on some CRT there are also present an alignment potentiometer or another for extend the image.

So, I feel to rule out a specific problem with your scart.

I attach here some examples of the images on other different monitors.

also the new SCART RGB, it is a bit optimized for colors for the newer CRT/LCD screens but will not solve the slightly display off-centre to the left if the monitor TV will not have a specific setting for the allignment of the screen.

@fabrizio (the person that build the new SCART RGB) maybe could correct me if I wrong in something about it.

2014-02-22-ti99-4a-working.jpg

9610880973_fd9fe777af_b.jpg

a89457759c394eb991969ca9f12b0922.jpg

DquedAEUcAQmqJD.jpg

fullsizeoutput_166b.jpeg

images.jpg

large-screen-ti-994a.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

texas_instruments_ti99_4a-7518.jpg

ti-99-4a_start-screen.jpg

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow that is super helpful, thank you so much for taking the time and sharing those images. Makes me feel a little better tbh.

Think I need to just accept it which I am already, been playing Parsec for an hour tonight and that looks beautiful and I'm loving the speech synthesizer which I always wanted as a kid but never got to owning, adds so much to some of the games.

Thanks again guys, great responses.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, youxia said:

It could have something to do with overscan. I used to have an OCD when it comes to displays (and in the CRT world it can cause real headaches), but managed to overcome it - the hardware's old, life short, best just to enjoy it :)

Very well said, tbh I'm thankfully nowhere near the perfectionist I always used to be. I would have obsessed over details like this but I've already accepted this as a quirk now.

I'm feeling I could be on a slippery slope already here.

Edited by Tetlee
  • Like 1

I fired up the MiSTer core on my Trinitorn CRT TV. It's not the original hardware, but these FPGA cores tend to be extremely accurate when it comes to display - I did check a few versus my microcomputers, and it was 1:1.

My TV also has RGB centering, so I can shift the image horizontally. On the left side it ends exactly on the red bar, and on the right there is that extended blue bit past the last red bar.

• Like 2

That looks good, tbh I've been playing loads now and I don't even notice this small detail anymore.

I'm pretty stunned tbh how great the picture is with the Scart cable. Rose tinted glasses often hamper memories and almost put me off revisiting things of my youth, certainly not the case with the TI99, looks and plays amazing still.

Speaking of which I need to rebuy A-Maze-Ing, loved that game.

Edited by Tetlee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...

I've got the exact same problem with Component cable connection as the original OP had with scart where the left hand colour squares are cut off at the half way point (other than that the picture is acceptable)

So tried running the component thru a kaico OSSC and this fixed the alignment issue BUT the OSSC output has noticeable vertical lines running down the screen no matter what options I select. Looks pretty awful compared to the direct component cable connection.

Why does everything have to be so complicated? that's rhetorical

I can live with the left side being cut off I guess, but am seriously thinking of purchasing an older 4:3 lcd tv to see if that helps (don't currently have the space, or desire, for a CRT)

(Maybe it's time to try and fit my TMS-RGB board but with my soldering skills that's likely to end in disaster lol)