IGNORED

Geneve 9640 benchmarks

vol

On 4/21/2021 at 1:40 PM, vol said:

My request for help is still actual.  Please run PI-EXE on a real Geneve 9640 for me!  Help me with my research.  MAME is very good for the Geneve 9640 emulation but it is still not 100% accurate.  I need timings (they are printed) for 100, 1000, and 3000 digits.  A screenshot or two would be a good supplement too. Thanks a lot in advance. 

A disk image is here.

100          0.30

1000       20.99

3000     183.69

Real hardware, Geneve.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

go with multicolor mode! 16 free colors.

Indeed it has but its resolution is too low, look XLife-8 screenshots or videos - it uses 160x200 or 320x200 raster.  It is possible to make a port for 256x192 graphics but I need 4 free colors.

11 hours ago, 9640News said:

100          0.30

1000       20.99

3000     183.69

Real hardware, Geneve.

Thank you very much.  The table is updated.  The Geneve 6940 has position #54 in this table now.  This position has a screenshot I got from MAME...

8 minutes ago, vol said:

Thank you very much.  The table is updated.  The Geneve 6940 has position #54 in this table now.  This position has a screenshot I got from MAME...

Not knowing anything about your program, speed could be different dependent upon a user's configuration.  It looked like you were using the Video XOP for display.  Users may be running Video Fast or Slow, the program running in slow or fast ram, and whether wait states are On or Off.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

Well, in theory one could calculate the whole configuration and show only a 64x48 window, which could scroll. Just saying.

Xlife-8 has zoom in mode which is 40x24, and zoom out (hires) mode.  The zoom in mode does scrolling but it is not suitable for some operations.

17 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Not knowing anything about your program, speed could be different dependent upon a user's configuration.  It looked like you were using the Video XOP for display.  Users may be running Video Fast or Slow, the program running in slow or fast ram, and whether wait states are On or Off.

It is all not important for 3000 digit calculation when screen output takes less than 1% of all processing time.  You can separate CPU and IO timings using FORMAT option for the table.  This way allows me to show information about both the CPU raw power and the speed of character output procedure.  The latter is not exactly correct for the TI99/4A which system just missed such a procedure and this makes it a rare exception among all computers I know.

@Ksarul I think what @vol means is the bitmap mode limitation.

If you want cells smaller than 4x4 pixels, you need 4 colors per row. With the bitmap mode limit, you can use only 2, which could be live cells on background. Ideally you want another color for new cells and another color for dying cells. 

My LIFE program only uses pattern mode, so I get the 4 colors using 8x8 cells. 

• Like 2