IGNORED

Fastbasic PMGs

Hello,

I have been playing around with Fastbasic a little, and it seems very nice. However, I am still quite new (returning after some years) to the A8, so I may be missing a few key points. In the tutorial that comes on the download site there is a nice 4 player example, which I have managed to hack to let the joystick control the horizonal position. Is there an easy way in Fastbasic to move the players vertically? I have seen and played around with the excellent 8bitandmore (orig) Atari Basic code but it would be good to know if there are easier ways to do that that stuff similar to that but in Fastbasic? I tried a quick Google but could not find any examples.

Edited by atarilux
mistake

Great thanks for the tips. In the meantime I also started learning about fine scrolling, slowly but surely some if it is coming back...

update: I tried the editor in the last hour, now it all makes so much more sense! I got a nice little Joystick based player moving around the screen plus a missile.  The code generator really helped to understand how to move things around.

Edited by atarilux

Hi!

7 hours ago, atarilux said:

Great thanks for the tips. In the meantime I also started learning about fine scrolling, slowly but surely some if it is coming back...

update: I tried the editor in the last hour, now it all makes so much more sense! I got a nice little Joystick based player moving around the screen plus a missile.  The code generator really helped to understand how to move things around.

Yes, the key to understand P/M graphics in the Atari is to realize that they always cover the full height of the screen, so you don't move the P/M, you move the "image" data in memory, and FastBasic already has the "MOVE" command to perform this.

Have Fun!

• Like 1