Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MrBeefy

Amazed By the Indie Scene

Recommended Posts

So I keep being amazed by the awesome games I keep finding in the Switch eshop for cheap.

 

I've been going through some recent games and my family had a blast with REKT! It is a stunt car game. Reminds me sort of of Uniracers meets Tony Hawk. 4 player local multiplayer.

 

I can't believe I got this for the high price of $0.17! It is regularly $5.99. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/rekt-high-octane-stunts-switch/

 

What games have you discovered that were an awesome deal that you've had a blast with?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks decent, reminds me vaguely of the old epic DOS game STUNTS I miss that one so much...with a mix of Hard Drivin'.

 

You know I think another worthy of mention would be Retromania Wrestling, a $30 game, but it has more people coming to it.  It's a specifically made spiritual sequel to arcade Wrestlefest which people feel is like the best the old arcade ever got.  I've been watching some videos, reading a bit, and wow it actually do look fantastic, and it's done just by a few people in the states and it really got headlined on Switch, though there is another version on Steam where I'm considering it to be fair(price vs longer term availability.)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That looks decent, reminds me vaguely of the old epic DOS game STUNTS I miss that one so much...with a mix of Hard Drivin'.

 

You know I think another worthy of mention would be Retromania Wrestling, a $30 game, but it has more people coming to it.  It's a specifically made spiritual sequel to arcade Wrestlefest which people feel is like the best the old arcade ever got.  I've been watching some videos, reading a bit, and wow it actually do look fantastic, and it's done just by a few people in the states and it really got headlined on Switch, though there is another version on Steam where I'm considering it to be fair(price vs longer term availability.)

I have RetroMania. I think Wrestlefest had a better lineup but what I've played so far has been good. 4 player couch co-op/multiplayer is a plus. Only need one joycon per person too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

I thought 'Totes My Goat' was kind of a fun Q*Bert-style game.  'Downwell' is cool as well.

I have not heard of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, Tanooki said:

You know I think another worthy of mention would be Retromania Wrestling, a $30 game, but it has more people coming to it.  It's a specifically made spiritual sequel to arcade Wrestlefest which people feel is like the best the old arcade ever got.  I've been watching some videos, reading a bit, and wow it actually do look fantastic, and it's done just by a few people in the states and it really got headlined on Switch, though there is another version on Steam where I'm considering it to be fair(price vs longer term availability.)

Looks pretty cool. In fact I looked up it and it claims to be not only a spiritual successor but actually the official sequel.

 

I haven't taken the dive but this game called Shadow Gangs looks to be basically Bad Dudes in HD, no sale yet tho: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shadow-gangs-switch/ 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Daj said:

Looks pretty cool. In fact I looked up it and it claims to be not only a spiritual successor but actually the official sequel.

 

I haven't taken the dive but this game called Shadow Gangs looks to be basically Bad Dudes in HD, no sale yet tho: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shadow-gangs-switch/ 

 

 

 

 

That does look kind of good. Wish listed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Bastion. It was a pretty and fun little Action RPG.

 

I loved the ending, because it really made you think. You have a choice to make at the end and I don't think either option is right or wrong. It's more about your personal moral philosophy than a straight right or wrong. It's like the end of a good book that gives you more to discuss than a straight happy or sad ending.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Just finished Bastion. It was a pretty and fun little Action RPG.

 

I loved the ending, because it really made you think. You have a choice to make at the end and I don't think either option is right or wrong. It's more about your personal moral philosophy than a straight right or wrong. It's like the end of a good book that gives you more to discuss than a straight happy or sad ending.

Check out Hades if you haven't already- fantastic game by the same studio.  I played Bastion and Transistor but I ended up liking Hades more than both.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2021 at 11:42 AM, digdugnate said:

Check out Hades if you haven't already- fantastic game by the same studio.  I played Bastion and Transistor but I ended up liking Hades more than both.

I will have to check it out. I wanted to do FFX, but decided to throw in a Mario game in between two RPGs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hades looks solid, Transistor I couldn't stand much at all, ended up hating it after an hour or two so I mothballed it and hid it away on my account I added it to as I was over it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the concept and style of Bastion, but the gameplay just did not do it for me. Hades is the most recommended game by my non-retro gaming friends in quite a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I loved the concept and style of Bastion, but the gameplay just did not do it for me. Hades is the most recommended game by my non-retro gaming friends in quite a while.

It wasn't ground breaking gameplay but allowed just enough flexibility to use a load out I liked with battle. Visually it was nice and I loved the narrator. Thought it was a charming touch. I will say the battles sometimes seemed a little to much like a beat 'em up sometimes.

 

I have Hades wish listed. I have a few other games I need to beat before I buy another one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2021 at 10:34 PM, Daj said:

I haven't taken the dive but this game called Shadow Gangs looks to be basically Bad Dudes in HD, no sale yet tho: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shadow-gangs-switch/ 

I was mistaken: the visuals resemble Bad Dudes, but it's actually 98% Shinobi in HD. The original Shinobi is kind of a special game for me, so I cracked and paid full price. I've been slugging it out with this game all weekend and I'm a fully satisfied customer. The gameplay follows the gameplay of the original arcade Shinobi very closely, mostly ignoring the changes made in the sequels, with a few gameplay additions (e.g. you have a supply of land mines) and an expanded enemy roster. 

 

It retains an arcade structure, with five levels, divided into two substages plus a boss fight, and a limited supply of lives and continues. The whole thing can't be more than maybe 50 minutes long if you don't die, but not to worry: you will die. "Normal" difficulty, which gives you three hits per life and a few continues, still feels about as hard as the original. "Hard" has one-hit-kills and no continues... we'll have to file that under long-term goals (didn't try "Easy" but even that's probably no joke and what most people would want to start with). I finished Normal, but only thanks to the stage select that unlocks as you complete levels... playing from beginning to end is still way beyond me right now. Overall, it's probably more like the original than what we'd get if Sega actually remade Shinobi, and very well-done, with good level and enemy designs. The roughest bit is the dialog, of which there is some, which doesn't seem to be written by a native English speaker. Although, needless to say, that doesn't make the game any less entertaining, so I'm not really complaining. There's a distinct influence from superhero comics in the visual designs: one boss is clearly just Lex Luthor piloting an Iron Man suit.

 

I was a little surprised (and happy) that instead of being a knowing pastiche of 80s arcade games or a parody like Double Dragon Neon, it plays everything pretty straight, no matter how cliched or generally insane. It's more a like a game unstuck in time than a nostalgia trip. The price is worth it for me but probably on the steep side for anyone who's not a Shinobi fanatic who's already run the Sega Ages Shinobi port into the ground. Anyway, it delivers what it promises. GOTY 1988.

Edited by Daj
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

bumpity-bump @MrBeefy - I've been playing Celeste the last couple of days.   This one is a little pricey on the Switch at $20, but it's really nice so far.  

 

I'm going to be picking up the soundtrack.

 

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/celeste-switch/

https://radicaldreamland.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-original-soundtrack

I actually have it on Xbox but have yet to try it. Been more into Mario, Jeopardy, and Bit Trip Beat lately.

 

I've heard it is hard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I actually have it on Xbox but have yet to try it. Been more into Mario, Jeopardy, and Bit Trip Beat lately.

 

I've heard it is hard.

I find the platforming pretty difficult, but it does have an 'Assist Mode' that gives you a boost when you're having trouble with the stages if you're so inclined.  For me it makes for a much more enjoyable gaming experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celeste is one of the few Switch games I’ve completed 100%. (Well, I think there are some b sides I haven’t finished.) I have the soundtrack cassette tapes 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, MrBeefy said:

I will have to check it out. I wanted to do FFX, but decided to throw in a Mario game in between two RPGs.

necro-ing, I think Hades is on sale ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played and beat Strikey Sisters yesterday. If you are looking for a different take on an Arkanoid type game check it out! I think I got it for $3.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks great! It reminds me of Wizorb on the PSP, but the person-instead-of-a-paddle aspect reminds me of something else…

 

Man, it’s killing me. I think it’s a game set in a graveyard where your attack the ball to kill zombies. No, I’m not thinking of Pinball of the Dead…

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

That looks great! It reminds me of Wizorb on the PSP, but the person-instead-of-a-paddle aspect reminds me of something else…

 

 

Yeah seems very similar minus the paddle. If you like breakout/arkanoid type games I think you will like it.

 

Was there an SNES game that was a breakout game that had people but was only released in Japan?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Yeah seems very similar minus the paddle. If you like breakout/arkanoid type games I think you will like it.

 

Was there an SNES game that was a breakout game that had people but was only released in Japan?

Maybe?  There was Devilish on the Genesis, then later barely refined and dropped on the Nintendo DS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe?  There was Devilish on the Genesis, then later barely refined and dropped on the Nintendo DS.

That might be it too maybe? It isn't the first I've heard of a game like it. I just can't come up with the name.

 

On a different note I think I have maybe less than a quarter of golf story left. Really been enjoying it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing a lot of Stellar Interface lately. It is one of those games that seems to grow on you. Each play seems similar but different.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...