IGNORED

Rare Super Mario Bros. game sells for a record $660,000

Wow! That is about four times the average price of a condo where I plan to move/retire. US$660,000 would buy several nice, large houses there -- or even a small apartment building.

My hard upper-limit for a single video game is about Cdn$100 (for some rare RPGs); I simply cannot conceive of spending $10,000 for one game, much less $600,000! 

7 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Yes, but still interesting that somebody forked over 660 thousand for it. 

Yeah, allegedly. An "anonymous buyer". And last time, wasn't it a consortium made up of the guys from these companies, who bought that other game? :D

The titles are hardly rare, maybe the condition is fairly so, but given their corruption and refusing to show actual population reports to back up the actual values and sales trends, it's just puffing up morons and finding the dumbest one of the lot to pay a (if not so spendy) laughably ignorant sum on this stuff to create those pop reports to help back up this stupidity.  WATA/Heritage at it again, shared members on staff, going to grease that palm for as many cuts and fee charges as possible off tools they love to use.

There have been legit 6-figure deals made for various videogame rarities among collectors, but I'm a bit skeptical that this was anything other than money laundering or speculators selling to each other or some sort of financial chicanery. Sure, videogames are now as established as baseball cards and comic books as collectibles, but this is a case where price is nowhere near equivalent to rarity or even actual monetary value. At best, this might be an example of the "greater fool" theory in action.

Edited by Blazing Lazers

22 minutes ago, Blazing Lazers said:

There have been legit 6-figure deals made for various videogame rarities among collectors, but I'm a bit skeptical that this was anything other than money laundering or speculators selling to each other or some sort of financial chicanery. Sure, videogames are now as established as baseball cards and comic books as collectibles, but this is a case where price is nowhere near equivalent to rarity or even actual monetary value. At best, this might be an example of the "greater fool" theory in action.

Chicanery, great word!   ?

• Like 1

Blazing - Exactly why I said what I did.  Where's the pop report to support this?  I can get a couple tools battling it out, but even 2 overly competitive deep pocketed dimwits would likely see the last one sell for let's make this up at 150K... and this hits a half mil higher?  I call bullshit.  It doesn't add up.  There had to be something more here than the simple face value it was just worth it to the winner.  There's no valuation to back it up, no priors, nothing.  It wasn't a case that it was the only Mario to pop up in a decade in such shape, so go for it, like some rare car in a barn find situation.  I mean sure, maybe it was the dumbest fool won it, but we can hope not as it sets a bad precedent that WATA will be salivating at to repeat so they can get the grading, then auction cut since they're partners with workers on the boards of both, so they can just rake it in, and then again.  Perhaps time to get a government entity involved, maybe something illegal is up the SEC would like a peek at.

• Like 2