IGNORED

Looking for an ST mouse, or PS/2 or USB adapter

I just received an Atari Mega ST2, but do not have a mouse for it. Prices on eBay are insane $100+ just for a mouse?!?!?

I'm looking here to see if anyone has an Atari mouse, or PS/2 or USB adapter for sale, or who knows of a source. I am located in Canada, so would prefer to order from Canada, or the U.S.

Any ideas on what I can do?

I use a TOM+ so I can run a USB mouse on my STE.  You can get a NetUSB but that requires drivers...and then eats a little memory and might get in the way of a few things, also needs to be booted with drivers each time (so hard disk, to be practical).

TOM+ you can find on ebay, I think the seller has cheaper versions too if that's too much.

NetUSB has another flaw: SW (mostly games) which has own mouse reading code will not see mouse attached via it. Because it is coded for mouse via IKBD chip of ST.

I suggest that search little online. There are converters for about 20 $ (PS2 or USB) . Buying original Atari mouse for even 10-20 bucks (+shipping) may result in problems appearing soon - it's 30++ years old now.

There is also the Effil adaptor which allows PS/2 mouse and keyboard attach thourhg cart port.  I have one and it works great.

I helped test a USB2/PS2 adaptor for someone on the forums here which worked fantastic but it not for sale that I can see.

You can get a new 1.1 PS2 mouse for $10 on Amazon.

8 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

TOM+ you can find on ebay, I think the seller has cheaper versions too if that's too much.

Still pricey, but looks like a good option. I like that you can have both the mouse and joystick connected and switch easily. This is probably the option that I will go with.

I also see the plain "TOM" and even a "JERRY" unit for less, but not sure if it's worth the cash savings.

Edited by Calab

1 hour ago, mdivancic said:

I prefer the wireless USB adapter that Lotharek sells, specifically for the all-in-one Atari’s. Once it plugged in you can forgot about it unless you are using joysticks. 

I've looked at Lotharek's website, but after conversion, plus shipping, it's usually too costly to order from there. I'm in Canada, so shipping is always a nuisance. His shipping instructions are also a bit confusing... Some countries only get certain shipping options, and the list he links to is an image in polish.

44 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

It's also a little bit pricey but I love the True-Mouse from Best Electronics:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/accesori.htm

It's not cordless but has a wonderful feel and is plug'n play with the ST.

Capture.thumb.PNG.067b84257545e230d0564c1fd7a0e644.PNG

I've tried to order from Best before, but again, the shipping charges to Canada killed the deal. They ended up being more than the items I was ordering!

I've looked at Lotharek's website, but after conversion, plus shipping, it's usually too costly to order from there. I'm in Canada, so shipping is always a nuisance. His shipping instructions are also a bit confusing... Some countries only get certain shipping options, and the list he links to is an image in polish.

I've ordered from Lotharek many times (to Alberta) never an issue. If that's the solution you want dont let shipping stop you. He'll do regular post to Canada rather than courier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, mdivancic said:

I prefer the wireless USB adapter that Lotharek sells, specifically for the all-in-one Atari’s. Once it plugged in you can forgot about it unless you are using joysticks. 

Hmmm... - why it is called wireless mouse adapter ? Because can attach wireless USB receiver to it's USB conn ? But I guess that can attach mouse with cable too ?

16 hours ago, Calab said:

I just received an Atari Mega ST2, but do not have a mouse for it. Prices on eBay are insane $100+ just for a mouse?!?!?

I'm looking here to see if anyone has an Atari mouse, or PS/2 or USB adapter for sale, or who knows of a source. I am located in Canada, so would prefer to order from Canada, or the U.S.

Calab, might I suggest looking for a serial mouse on kijiji.ca or a visit to Quarks Consigments, Dallmann Computers, or ValueVillage in Calgary?  I picked up a serial mouse for my TT at Staples a few years ago but they seem to mostly have USB now.

12 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Hmmm... - why it is called wireless mouse adapter ? Because can attach wireless USB receiver to it's USB conn ? But I guess that can attach mouse with cable too ?

The wireless dongle uses less power than a corded mouse. You can try to use a corded mouse, but if it draws too much power it won't work.

12 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

I've ordered from Lotharek many times (to Alberta) never an issue. If that's the solution you want dont let shipping stop you. He'll do regular post to Canada rather than courier.

Really? What do you choose for the shipping option? What does it usually cost?

5 hours ago, MasterMotorola said:

Calab, might I suggest looking for a serial mouse on kijiji.ca or a visit to Quarks Consigments, Dallmann Computers, or ValueVillage in Calgary?  I picked up a serial mouse for my TT at Staples a few years ago but they seem to mostly have USB now.

I would still need a converter for a serial mouse, wouldn't I? I could find one if it would be a simpler process to get it working on my Mega.

24 minutes ago, Calab said:

Customers from USA/CANADA  - please, choose POLISH PARCEL at checkout ( or FEDEX) 

Right from his website, Polish Parcel is post office.  I can't recall the exact amount, its fairly reasonable - 30 bucks, but I had a MiST, an SIO Hub and an SIO2PC in that order.  YMMV.  I will say it can be slow, but it does always show up... (Everything is slow to Edmonton it seems though)

Just to ADD: I went in and redid the order (not actually, but just to get shipping) and there are 4 options.  Polish Post, Polish Post Kilo Pack, FEDEX Economy and Priority... Costing is in that order cheapest to most expensive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Calab said:

I would still need a converter for a serial mouse, wouldn't I? I could find one if it would be a simpler process to get it working on my Mega.

No converter, but driver SW is needed for - can attach it to ST serial port. But, as said it will not work with some SW (mostly games) . And those mouses are very old, so I would not go that way ..

12 hours ago, Calab said:

The wireless dongle uses less power than a corded mouse. You can try to use a corded mouse, but if it draws too much power it won't work.

I don't think that any mouse will draw too much power (at least not working mouse) . I read somewhere that solution where taking +5V power from joystick port is not good for Flash card adapters - not enough power there.  Well, there is no power limit on those connectors.  Most likely problem is soldering of port connector self - because of plenty connecting and disconnectings soldering cracks, and that can result in big resistance. I needed to resolder those 9 pin connectors in my Ataris . No problems even with high speed CF cards getting power via .

8 hours ago, Calab said:

In the past, I would always just choose the cheapest option, usually Polish Post. However, with the pandemic, things have really slowed down, and I think, right now, he's only using FedEx for U.S. and Canadian shipments. Usually he has scrolling banners on his site mentioning pandemic shipping and which to use for North America, but that may have changed now.

EDIT:

It looks like this is still the case. The is scrolling right across the top of the very first page:

Due to present COVID-19 situation, GLOBAL EXPRESS / POLISH PARCEL deliveries work only for selected destinations. UPS/FEDEX - no problems worldwide

Edited by bfollowell

22 hours ago, Calab said:

Same reason I haven’t ordered a second one for my STacy. Some day this situation will get back to normal. 

On 4/4/2021 at 7:23 AM, Calab said:

There is a new USB adapter for the ST: mouSTer https://retrohax.net/the-mouster-project-is-here/

Works fine and it's firmware is regularly updated.  And it's small what is important in case of the 1040 (I have mouSTer which fits perfectly and a second adapter from other vendor which is a bit to long for my 1040)

1 hour ago, Cyprian said:

There is a new USB adapter for the ST: mouSTer https://retrohax.net/the-mouster-project-is-here/

Works fine and it's firmware is regularly updated.  And it's small what is important in case of the 1040 (I have mouSTer which fits perfectly and a second adapter from other vendor which is a bit to long for my 1040)

Looks great! Now just to wait for them to have some stock!

10 hours ago, Calab said:

Looks great! Now just to wait for them to have some stock!

There is a comment by Drygol on April 1, in which he mentioned they should be available this week.

https://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1611412343&archive=&start_from=0&ucat=1,9&ct=nowinki

4 hours ago, Cyprian said:

There is a comment by Drygol on April 1, in which he mentioned they should be available this week.

https://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1611412343&archive=&start_from=0&ucat=1,9&ct=nowinki

Very cool! Thanks for the info!

Already on the notification list, so just waiting...