IGNORED

Annoying bug in Tempest 2000

tatzelbelm

Did someone encounter a bug in Tempest 2000 where in the bonus stage where you have to go through all the rings, there are some rings that are too high to reach ?

I tried to play this stage several times and i cen never finish it. I remember that i was able to finish those stages before, so i don't know what could have happened.

It's not a bug. 

The arrow rings only shift you upwards or downwards a set amount, and the position on the arrow ring that you fly through determines the start of the altitude shift. 

For example, if you need to go higher to reach higher rings, but you hit the bottom of the arrow ring, you might not actually get high enough. 

Try flying through the top of the arrow ring in this instance. 

Conversely: fly through the bottom of downward arrow rings to get lower. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gummy Bear said:

the position on the arrow ring that you fly through determines the start of the altitude shift. 

I've been playing Tempest 2000 for 20+ years, and I never knew this.  I knew the arrow rings bump you up or down, but didn't know it matters where you hit on the arrow ring.  Thanks!

• Like 2

The way I like to explain it is, imagine there is an invisible floor and ceiling that you cannot cross normally. The yellow arrows allow you to cross this invisible boundary. Let go of the d-pad when you hit the arrow and it will boost you as high or low as it will allow.

When you're above or below the invisible boundary, you can only move back in a single direction towards the normal gameplay zone. I basically let the arrows boost me slightly past a ring I need to hit, and I correct my position by tapping in the opposite direction.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1