IGNORED

MDOS V7.30

9640News

35 minutes ago, Nick99 said:

MDOS works fine, when I check what cards I have in the PEB it finds TIPI and the TI-Disk controller but not the IDE card. DU2K also can't find the IDE card (loaded with EXEC /r).

I have not managed to load GPL to try to load the latest IDE DSR (also check if the battery on the IDE card is dead and that's the reason it won't find the card).

In a few days I have more time to try to fix it.

Also, I have to learn how TIPI works together with two physical disks, and the how to assign etc...

Many thanks, a tremendous work you guys have done! ?

You should test DU2K with Rompage mode on the Geneve to see if you see the IDE card.  Also, make sure you set the IDE card to CRU >1900 as that is where the MDOS Master DSR expects it to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nick99 said:

MDOS works fine, when I check what cards I have in the PEB it finds TIPI and the TI-Disk controller but not the IDE card. DU2K also can't find the IDE card (loaded with EXEC /r).

I have not managed to load GPL to try to load the latest IDE DSR (also check if the battery on the IDE card is dead and that's the reason it won't find the card).

@9640News - this reminded me, are we able to test loading the IDE DSR in MAME with a TI Disk Controller?  I recall the TI and CorComp cards had problems under rompage, most likely due to timing in their EPROMs. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I won't speak for @9640News but we discussed creating disk images and believed that - rightly or wrongly - releasing the files in the ZIP would allow 'better' configuration to come together with help from the community.  This is technically the 'beta' release and wasn't put together with brand new users in mind.  Help from the community in that regard is much appreciated :)

Definitely we look and request help.  We can't do it all and we are the youngster's we once were able to stay up to the wee hours of the morning and then going to work a few hours later.  At least not me!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 9640News said:

You should test DU2K with Rompage mode on the Geneve to see if you see the IDE card.  Also, make sure you set the IDE card to CRU >1900 as that is where the MDOS Master DSR expects it to be.

Also, make sure your dip switches on your IDE card are in the Geneve position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

So easy to do with TIPI thanks@InsaneMultitasker and @9640News for all your hard work getting this release tested and ready for us

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Yeah, with the TIPI and all of Matt's great work, moving, copying, backing up, etc. is so much easier.  I am sure @InsaneMultitasker and I may have taken months more of time in the combined development efforts and testing without it.   That's why I am trying to highly promote the TIPI!!!!

And @F.G. Kaal GDM2K program is now my disk manager of choice for my system!!!

• Like 5

Just now, arcadeshopper said:

assign is giving me a syntax error when using the syntax in the readme..  any suggestions?

LASTDRIVE = P  

ASSIGN O=SCS6:   (or whatever you are trying to ASSIGN)

If that doesn't fix it, show us the complete AUTOEXEC file.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 9640News said:

LASTDRIVE = P  

ASSIGN O=SCS6:   (or whatever you are trying to ASSIGN)

If that doesn't fix it, show us the complete AUTOEXEC file.

DOH was trying from the prompt not autoexec, instead of syntax error probably should say only in autoexec like lastdrive does.. also.. lastdrive = P gave me syntax error

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mizapf said:

Thank you for this great job! Can't wait to test it.

It would have been helpful, though, to post one or more DSK images, not only the naked files. I suppose you also want to address emulation users, and this means MAME for the Geneve, as a matter of fact, and there is only DSK. Maybe you could add those images to the first post as well.

geneveos730a.dsk 360 kB · 7 downloads geneveos730b.dsk 360 kB · 5 downloads

Michael,

@InsaneMultitasker has raised an issue that was not considered with installing the DSR for the IDE.  Does MAME with a CorComp or TI Disk controller, in Rompage mode, allow you to load an IDE DSR to the IDE card?  On real hardware, the TI and CorComp disk controllers have issues in RomPage mode while the Myarc HFDC and Myarc FDC do not.  The earlier testing was with MAME.

It's possible @F.G. Kaal is mapping in the DSR page >BA into the Geneve mapper for IDE access and restoring it before reading from floppy or other device, however my suspicion since it was written for the TI-99/4A, that is not the case.

Right now, just trying to anticipate some potential questions you or Fred may be able to comment.

Beery

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

DOH was trying from the prompt not autoexec, instead of syntax error probably should say only in autoexec like lastdrive does.. also.. lastdrive = P gave me syntax error

LASTDRIVE = P in AUTOEXEC, with a space on either side of the '='.  

ASSIGN commands can be used outside the AUTOEXEC file at the command line prompt.

Just now, 9640News said:

LASTDRIVE = P in AUTOEXEC, with a space on either side of the '='.  

ASSIGN commands can be used outside the AUTOEXEC file at the command line prompt.

And there are no spaces on either side of the '=' command with ASSIGN and it must end in the ':'

1 hour ago, Schmitzi said:

This command does not work:

(I only get a lot of strange sounds)

Ralf, I tried it several times with Linux, Windows 10, also downloading the HD image from the forum again, and this is perfectly working for me; boots into GeneveOS 7.30. Do you boot from EPROM or PFM? I'm using boot EPROM 0.98.

Anybody else having issues?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

@9640News - this reminded me, are we able to test loading the IDE DSR in MAME with a TI Disk Controller?  I recall the TI and CorComp cards had problems under rompage, most likely due to timing in their EPROMs. 

I just tried different controllers; had to spread all needed files on three SD disks ...

The original TI disk controller (tifdc) seems to work in ROMPAGE mode in MAME. I was able to configure the IDE hard disk.

The CorComp (ccfdc) has problems in ROMPAGE mode, reports I/O Error 0 in E/A5, which means the card was not found. This is strange, because at least the EPROM should not be affected. Maybe this needs some investigation.

The Myarc DDCC-1 seems to work, but on first try reported I/O error 6 when I tried to load IDELOAD from floppy.

As far as I know, in the original EPROMs there is no timing; there are no delay loops. Data transfer is synchronized by the READY line; when a byte has been read, this is signaled by raising READY (the "READY trap"). Also, instead of waiting for a command to complete by a delay, the IRQ line is polled.

For the emulation, I'd really like to know what that issue was that had to be worked around, but I am afraid this knowledge is buried in some long forgotten paper notes.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I just tried different controllers; had to spread all needed files on three SD disks ...

On my real Myarc floppy controller, ROMPAGE and GPL speed=5 results in errors and will not properly read/write.  GPL Speed=2 works properly.  This is consistent with older versions of GPL. 

Some time ago, commented source code was posted for the TI Disk Controller.  I tried to locate the file but could not find it; I am thinking maybe @acadiel or @Ksarul posted it 6-12 months ago?  Within that source there were references to timing based on certain instructions, not loops, that I suspected were a likely reason for the problems in ROMPAGE.

7 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

On my real Myarc floppy controller, ROMPAGE and GPL speed=5 results in errors and will not properly read/write.  GPL Speed=2 works properly.  This is consistent with older versions of GPL. 

Some time ago, commented source code was posted for the TI Disk Controller.  I tried to locate the file but could not find it; I am thinking maybe @acadiel or @Ksarul posted it 6-12 months ago?  Within that source there were references to timing based on certain instructions, not loops, that I suspected were a likely reason for the problems in ROMPAGE.

hmm, this one is from 2006, maybe to old....

ti-disk-card-src.txt

• Like 4

I updated Heatwave BBS to Geneve OS 7.30/GPL 7.30 last night.  Today I created and enabled a few file transfer areas, and uploaded archives of the released Geneve OS files.  So far so good. 

Previously, the bbs was running MDOS 6.50 and the upgrade has again reminded me how much faster MDOS 7.30's disk operations execute in comparison.  I am interested in knowing if others see similar performance improvements. 

• Like 5

I have an interesting issue with 7.30. I took vol's disk from the other thread (Geneve benchmarks) and tried to load "PIEA", but I did it in Editor/Assembler option 5 instead of BASIC. It is actually a BASIC program.

As a result, after it tried to load PIEA, I got an error message "I/O error 0". The SCS1 device has become unavailable. Also, Ctrl-Shift-Shift does the same as Ctrl-Alt-Del, which means I cannot leave GPL mode anymore.

The same happens in MAME when I use DSK1 for loading. DSK1 is gone, and Ctrl-Shift-Shift just does a soft reset.

Edit: This may have happened with earlier GeneveOS releases, too. The missing header may have broken the master DSR and caused portions of the GPL mode to be overwritten.

Edited by mizapf

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

I have an interesting issue with 7.30. I took vol's disk from the other thread (Geneve benchmarks) and tried to load "PIEA", but I did it in Editor/Assembler option 5 instead of BASIC. It is actually a BASIC program.

As a result, after it tried to load PIEA, I got an error message "I/O error 0". The SCS1 device has become unavailable. Also, Ctrl-Shift-Shift does the same as Ctrl-Alt-Del, which means I cannot leave GPL mode anymore.

The same happens in MAME when I use DSK1 for loading. DSK1 is gone, and Ctrl-Shift-Shift just does a soft reset.

Edit: This may have happened with earlier GeneveOS releases, too. The missing header may have broken the master DSR and caused portions of the GPL mode to be overwritten.

What is PIEA?  Never heard of it.

Did you load PIEA with the full GPL/Basic roms/groms, or did you use the GPL/Menu set?