IGNORED

MDOS V7.30

9640News

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

Dan, @InsaneMultitasker released a set of PFMCore programs that came with MDOS V7.30 in the original zip file.

Do you remember if/where we released PFM BIOS v8.02?  This was a minor update that included a routine to turn off all of the peripheral cards at restart.  This was a safety measure for when the TIPI (or any other card) stays active on the bus after a reset, and is intended to ensure the powerup cycle has only one card enabled at a time.

I think that you added the same code to the Geneve BOOT EPROM and I pushed it to EXEC, GPL, and the OS, though some updates might be pending the next OS release.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Do you remember if/where we released PFM BIOS v8.02?  This was a minor update that included a routine to turn off all of the peripheral cards at restart.  This was a safety measure for when the TIPI (or any other card) stays active on the bus after a reset, and is intended to ensure the powerup cycle has only one card enabled at a time.

I think that you added the same code to the Geneve BOOT EPROM and I pushed it to EXEC, GPL, and the OS, though some updates might be pending the next OS release.

MDOS V7.30 was released 4/4/2021.  In that set of files, the PFM directory has a COREV81 file.  I just reviewed the PFM screen when I did a reboot of the Geneve, and the 8.02 release shows a date of 4/17/2021.

Beery

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 9640News said:

MDOS V7.30 was released 4/4/2021.  In that set of files, the PFM directory has a COREV81 file.  I just reviewed the PFM screen when I did a reboot of the Geneve, and the 8.02 release shows a date of 4/17/2021.

Beery

Thanks, I didn't find a posting of 8.02 here on AA so maybe that version is still in my review folder as the updates were not critical at the time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 6:26 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

For those of you with a CorComp floppy controller card @GDMike @dhe please try running this program prior to GenCFG and let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

I tested it with my system and GenCFG detects the card as expected.  The explanation is in the Geneve OS development thread.

CCFIX 384 B · 30 downloads

A more permanent fix will be integrated into the OS at a future date.

Source to CCFIX has been uploaded to the horizon ramdisk github repository, GenCFG folder.  

After the holidays, @9640News and I intend to review the future (2022) timing for a Geneve OS minor release to address some of the changes we've made to the OS and a few programs since April 2021.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I am resurrecting my TI and Geneve systems. Currently I have the Geneve, with only the extra 32k mod and boot EPROM 1.0, a Myarc RS232, and a Myarc HFDC. I am trying to understand MDOS 7.30. If I create a boot floppy, a 360k 5.35" DSDD, with SYSTEM-SYS it does not find MDOS. If I rename SYSTEM-SYS to SYSTEM/SYS and add LOAD/SYS MDOS boots (SYSTEM-SYS and LOAD/SYS do not boot). I even downloaded the BootDsk730.dsk 9640News placed in this topic on October 9th and this does not boot either.

So what is the proper file configuration to boot MDOS? It does not appear that LOAD/SYS is included with 7.30 but is required (at least for floppy boot).

I am trying to work this out ahead of receiving my boot 2.0 EPROM and IDE cards, both which have been ordered.

Any help in understanding is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by mvancopp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mvancopp said:

Hi Everyone,

I am resurrecting my TI and Geneve systems. Currently I have the Geneve, with only the extra 32k mod and boot EPROM 1.0, a Myarc RS232, and a Myarc HFDC. I am trying to understand MDOS 7.30. If I create a boot floppy, a 360k 5.35" DSDD, with SYSTEM-SYS it does not find MDOS. If I rename SYSTEM-SYS to SYSTEM/SYS and add LOAD/SYS MDOS boots (SYSTEM-SYS and LOAD/SYS do not boot). I even downloaded the BootDsk730.dsk 9640News placed in this topic on October 9th and this does not boot either.

So what is the proper file configuration to boot MDOS? It does not appear that LOAD/SYS is included with 7.30 but is required (at least for floppy boot).

I am trying to work this out ahead of receiving my boot 2.0 EPROM and IDE cards, both which have been ordered.

Any help in understanding is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

OK.  The Geneve Boot Eprom version 0.98 looks for HDS1.DSK1.LOAD/SYS.  As far as I know, the V1.00 eprom looks for HDS1.DSK1.LOAD/SYS as well.  Both versions should load HDS1.SYSTEM/SYS.

Version 2.00 Eprom will look for LOAD-IDE, LOAD-MFM (HFDC), LOAD-SCS, or LOAD-TIP on the respective IDE, MFM, SCSI, or TIPI drives.  The appropriate LOAD-xxx file must be on the appropriate device.  These versions of the of the LOAD-xxx file loads SYSTEM-SYS at the root level of the device. There is an EPROM-DOC file in the zip containing those files that gives the path location for the other LOAD-xxx files.

Hope this makes sense.

Beery

• Like 1

And with a standard floppy drive, the changes you made to the names will allow the correct files to load, so you were on the right path for use with a floppy drive. The tips from @9640News will be invaluable once you change over to the V2.00 boot EPROM, as it replaces the slash from earlier versions of the EPROMs with a dash.

Thanks @9640News and @Ksarul for the information. I believe I understand the requirement and the change under boot 2.0.

I would suggest that this change based on the boot EPROM be clearly explained in the README for 7.30, this was not clear to me. Also if these other "LOAD*" flies are required in different situations I would suggest they be added to the distribution (the "a" and "b" .dsk files and the zip file). I found them in the EPROM zip but this seems like the wrong location since most people will not be burning their own EPROMs. Why not include them in both distros to cover the bases? Just suggestions, I hope they help.

Again thank you for the clarifications and help. 

Mark

I think I'm good on this request. At one time Beery had a mame / geneve / os boot image with lots of MDOS software preserved.

genasm comes back as 1.03 and tic as 1.67

I trust the provenance of this software more than a random upload.

Next challenge use tiimagetool to directly copy software in to the tipi via the web interface.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 7:48 AM, dhe said:

I think I'm good on this request. At one time Beery had a mame / geneve / os boot image with lots of MDOS software preserved.

genasm comes back as 1.03 and tic as 1.67

I trust the provenance of this software more than a random upload.

Next challenge use tiimagetool to directly copy software in to the tipi via the web interface.

I also just got GENASM and would like to know the latest too.

as for TIC the geneve rollup, you may already have, has the latest TIC and TASM. (below)

question:

I recently tried using GETKEY and GETSTR to create a menu and it doesn't seem to work. But I swore I was using it just last year. Here is a sample batch file:

:LOOP

IF %1==A GOTO GAME1

ECHO STILL-IN-LOOP

GOTO LOOP

:GAME1

ECHO OUTTA-LOOP

it doesn't look like GETKEY is passing the key stroke to %1. Same for GETSTR.

could it be I might got an old copy. the docs say it is from MDOS 1 or it might be I'm doing something wrong?

ok... I need PFM BIO's 8.02. Mine says 8.01 and I definitively got hit with that peripheral cards not being turned off, this was PFM related, it must have been in a bad state and when I turned on the geneve, I got a errrrrrrrrr sound from the speakers. Where do I get the latest / greatest pfm bios?

21 hours ago, dhe said:

ok... I need PFM BIO's 8.02. Mine says 8.01 and I definitively got hit with that peripheral cards not being turned off, this was PFM related, it must have been in a bad state and when I turned on the geneve, I got a errrrrrrrrr sound from the speakers. Where do I get the latest / greatest pfm bios?

If this was from a cold start, 8.02 isn't likely to address the problem.   PFM 8.02 and changes to GPL and EXEC are intended to ensure that if a program leaves a card enabled upon exiting or restarting, all cards are turned off before the DSR powerup fires off.

19 hours ago, 9640News said:

Grandma v 1.03 is the latest. 

PFMbios 8.02, need to confirm @InsaneMultitasker about posting the updAte. 

Grandma v 1.03?  :D :D

I will attempt to post the 8.02 update this evening.  (Edit: this weekend is more realistic)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi,

I am have switched my Geneve to the 2.0 Boot EPROM. My HFDC has quit working so I have switched to a TI disk controller and booting from floppy. MDOS loads successfully but does not execute the AUTOEXEC file (I am only trying to set TIMODE2 currently). I turned on ECHO to make sure the file is not executing and nothing is printed when MDOS starts. The only thing on the floppy is SYSTEM-SYS, the GPL files, and the AUTOEXEC (no load/sys or load-sys). I can type or run by hand the AUTOEXEC after loading is complete. This all worked under Boot EPROM 1.0. Is there anything I am doing wrong to get the AUOTEXEC to run at boot completion in this configuration?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, mvancopp said:

Hi,

I am have switched my Geneve to the 2.0 Boot EPROM. My HFDC has quit working so I have switched to a TI disk controller and booting from floppy. MDOS loads successfully but does not execute the AUTOEXEC file (I am only trying to set TIMODE2 currently). I turned on ECHO to make sure the file is not executing and nothing is printed when MDOS starts. The only thing on the floppy is SYSTEM-SYS, the GPL files, and the AUTOEXEC (no load/sys or load-sys). I can type or run by hand the AUTOEXEC after loading is complete. This all worked under Boot EPROM 1.0. Is there anything I am doing wrong to get the AUOTEXEC to run at boot completion in this configuration?

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of for not finding AUTOEXEC is if you are using a sector edited version of system-SYS. Around sector 208 plus or minus a few sectors is The path. Look to see if it has been changed from DSK1.AUTOEXEC. There are three occurrences. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 12:05 PM, 9640News said:

16 hours ago, mvancopp said:

Hi,

Thanks!

6 hours ago, 9640News said:

The only thing I can think of for not finding AUTOEXEC is if you are using a sector edited version of system-SYS. Around sector 208 plus or minus a few sectors is The path. Look to see if it has been changed from DSK1.AUTOEXEC. There are three occurrences. 

Thanks Beery. I used the dsk file from your post above and only added the AUTOEXEC file, this is using a disk emulator connected to the TI Controller. I will try and verify the path but it should be whatever the included SYSTEM-SYS file has.

Thanks again for the reply.

43 minutes ago, mvancopp said:

Thanks Beery. I used the dsk file from your post above and only added the AUTOEXEC file, this is using a disk emulator connected to the TI Controller. I will try and verify the path but it should be whatever the included SYSTEM-SYS file has.

Thanks again for the reply.

Refresh my memory here so I can understand how you are trying to boot.

Please give me the version number of the boot eprom, MDOS version, and which LOAD-xxx file you are using if you are using one on your HFDC DSK1 floppy. MDOS V7.30 is smarter to know the device it boots from when LOAD-xxx is used as LOAD-xxx passes information to the CLI to know where to get the xxx1.AUTOEXEC file from.  As @InsaneMultitasker asked of me in a separate email, as I think about it, if you were trying to boot from HFDC floppy DSK1, it is possible when MDOS is loaded, it may be looking for HDS1.AUTOEXEC rather than DSK1.AUTOEXEC.  I'll need to know some details from you before I can do some testing.  If that is the case, I may be able to provide you a different LOAD-xxx file so DSK1.AUTOEXEC is found without changing eprom or MDOS.

16 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Refresh my memory here so I can understand how you are trying to boot.

Please give me the version number of the boot eprom, MDOS version, and which LOAD-xxx file you are using if you are using one on your HFDC DSK1 floppy. MDOS V7.30 is smarter to know the device it boots from when LOAD-xxx is used as LOAD-xxx passes information to the CLI to know where to get the xxx1.AUTOEXEC file from.  As @InsaneMultitasker asked of me in a separate email, as I think about it, if you were trying to boot from HFDC floppy DSK1, it is possible when MDOS is loaded, it may be looking for HDS1.AUTOEXEC rather than DSK1.AUTOEXEC.  I'll need to know some details from you before I can do some testing.  If that is the case, I may be able to provide you a different LOAD-xxx file so DSK1.AUTOEXEC is found without changing eprom or MDOS.

Currently setup:

• Geneve has BOOT v2.0 EPROM.
  • TI disk controller, no HFDC (it has stopped working and will need repair).
    • The floppy disk contains "SYSTEM-SYS" (v7.30) + GPL files + AUTOEXEC. "LOAD-XXX" is not on the floppy. The EPROM readme states not to use any LOAD file for floppy only systems.

I searched through the SYSTEM-SYS file. The word "autoexec" (case insensitive) only appears once in "Only in autoexec file" (beginning at byte 0001D72B). There isn't an entry for "DSK1.AUTOEXEC" or a separate "AUTOEXEC" that could be combined (although you could steal the lower case "autoexec" from the text above).

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

1 hour ago, mvancopp said:

Currently setup:

• Geneve has BOOT v2.0 EPROM.
  • TI disk controller, no HFDC (it has stopped working and will need repair).
    • The floppy disk contains "SYSTEM-SYS" (v7.30) + GPL files + AUTOEXEC. "LOAD-XXX" is not on the floppy. The EPROM readme states not to use any LOAD file for floppy only systems.

I searched through the SYSTEM-SYS file. The word "autoexec" (case insensitive) only appears once in "Only in autoexec file" (beginning at byte 0001D72B). There isn't an entry for "DSK1.AUTOEXEC" or a separate "AUTOEXEC" that could be combined (although you could steal the lower case "autoexec" from the text above).

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

There are three entries for AUTOEXEC.  I use FILEZAP and at record 205 offset in the file, you will see three entries of DSK1.AUTOEXEC.

Confirm those are DSK1.AUTOEXEC

Beery

4 hours ago, 9640News said:

There are three entries for AUTOEXEC.  I use FILEZAP and at record 205 offset in the file, you will see three entries of DSK1.AUTOEXEC.

Confirm those are DSK1.AUTOEXEC

Beery

I looked at the SYSTEM-SYS file from the DSSD dsk file that you posted again an it does not have AUTOEXEC linked to any drive (see DSSD-Boot screenshot). It does have AUTOEXE1 linked to HDS1.

The SYSTEM-SYS file taken from the zip file in the first topic post does have DSK1.AUTOEXEC three times (see Zip-Boot screenshot).

I will move the SYSTEM-SYS file taken from the zip file to a floppy and try again. I do not know why these files do not match. You can download the DSSD dsk and verify yourself. I will report back when the testing is done.

EDIT: I confirmed the SYSTEM-SYS file from MDOS 7.30 loads and executes the AUTOEXEC file on a TI floppy controller/drive.

Thanks!

DSSD-Boot.jpg

Zip-Boot.jpg

Edited by mvancopp
  • Like 1