IGNORED

MDOS V7.30

9640News

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Use the program GDM2K instead of DM2K after you have used GenCFG and reformatted your drives.  The program GDM2K runs from MDOS mode.

Report back what happens with the file copying process.

You have not mentioned it, but do you have a TIPI in your system?  What about a Rave Speech adapter?  What is the size of your HRD?

You mentioned "disk controller" with respect to the issues.  The HRD has no disk controller.  The HRD has memory only, and is basically a memory mapped device.  The DSR with MDOS (SYSTEM/SYS) contains everything needed to map and use the HRD's.

Beery

It looks like to do with the \ in the directory structure. I am trying to copy a series of files lile XBEA, XBEA1, XBEA2, etc. From A: to he HRD (thats why I thought about the Corcomp Controller, not sure as there were some issues with GenCfg and this type of controller detection).

But normally I can copy all the files. Eg. This time it went okay for Ram-HD, but not for Ram- Dsk.  You mentioned there is a limit of 3 directories not sure if it relates to that.

In my Geneve box I do not have a TIPI (only in my other box). I do have the Rave Speech, maybe I should pull that one out?

The Size of he HRD i am not sure. It shows 1568K in the screenshot  3200 for Ramdsk

3062 for ramhd. It is on CRU >1400

(Extra info.  This is the video when the card was in my TI setup. https://youtu.be/m1nxcHhjQuw

It is with Rambo 504K, but Gencfg 1.2 somehow does not see Rambo?).

I do not have gencfg 1.3to validate (as i saw some screenshots in the other forum someone having a Rambo part, so was wondering why i do not see it in gencfg,  but i saw it on the TI with ROS 8.34

20210824_203708.jpg

20210824_203542.jpg

20210824_203214.jpg

20210824_203155.jpg

20210824_202644.jpg

20210824_202554.jpg

20210824_202435.jpg

Screenshot_20210824-232314_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210824-232402_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210824-232406_YouTube.jpg

OK, a few things here.  Since the / is in the filename of SYSTEM/SYS, you must use a command like this to copy:

COPY "SYSTEM/SYS" E:\

Second, I notice you were not using the \ key in the drive letter, just E: so I am not sure if that is one of your issues or not.

Copying to a directory should be done like this:

COPY XB* E:\MODULES.

or

COPY XB* E:\MODULES\

Otherwise, I think it is trying to copy the wildcard files to the same filename so that you would end up with only one file at the destination. Think of it like this:

COPY XB1 E:\XB3    - this would essentially copy the filename XB1 at your current path to the E:\ device with the new filename XB3.

I can't say with certainty this is causing your issues, but I do note you are using the COPY command a bit differently than what I do.  Myself, to rule out hardware issues with the HRD, I would use GDM2K as mentioned earlier from MDOS mode and try copying files that way to see if you get errors.  That should rule out a user syntax issue versus a hardware issue.

Second, if you can find the program MEMTEST from Ron Walters, run it and see if it shows how the pages are shown where we are looking at memory mapped physical page >BC, >3C, or >7C.  Post a photo if you find the program.  This will rule out any Rave Speech card issues.  I don't recall what kind, if any, memory expansion you had on your Geneve.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, globeron said:

@InsaneMultitasker 

With GENCFG is it possible to format the complete Horizon disk to a RAM-DSK format?  (or are there max. size limitations?)

because then I can do the mapping to a DSKx device. 

If I am correct RAM-HD can handle a larger disk size.  (but cannot do the DSKx device mapping).

(above comment from development thread):

No. As mentioned in the GenCFG documentation:

GENCFG is a command line utility required to format the Horizon RAMdisk
for use with MDOS 7.30. Each physical Ramdisk may be configured with
one bootable "disk" partition of 1440, 1600, or 3200 sectors.  All remaining
space will be formatted as a hard drive parition, referred to as "RamHD"

If you choose to NOT use the disk partition, all space can be formatted as the RamHD.  The maximum disk partition allowed by the OS is 12,800 sectors, however, I chose to limit the disk partition to 3200 sectors (800K) for boot compatibility with the Geneve Boot EPROM.

GenCFG formats the entire ramdisk.  You cannot reformat the individual partitions.  GenCFG warns you (the user) that all existing partitions will be overwritten.  I can add "and data" to the warning if it helps to get the point across?

"*ALL EXISTING PARTITIONS WILL BE OVERWRITTEN*

Press FCTN-6 to format or ESC to abort"

5 hours ago, globeron said:

but Gencfg 1.2 somehow does not see Rambo?).

The RAMBO hardware cannot be used in TI Mode due to Geneve hardware constraints. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 9640News said:

OK, a few things here.  Since the / is in the filename of SYSTEM/SYS, you must use a command like this to copy:

Second, I notice you were not using the \ key in the drive letter, just E: so I am not sure if that is one of your issues or not.

or

Otherwise, I think it is trying to copy the wildcard files to the same filename so that you would end up with only one file at the destination. Think of it like this:

COPY XB1 E:\XB3    - this would essentially copy the filename XB1 at your current path to the E:\ device with the new filename XB3.

I can't say with certainty this is causing your issues, but I do note you are using the COPY command a bit differently than what I do.  Myself, to rule out hardware issues with the HRD, I would use GDM2K as mentioned earlier from MDOS mode and try copying files that way to see if you get errors.  That should rule out a user syntax issue versus a hardware issue.

Second, if you can find the program MEMTEST from Ron Walters, run it and see if it shows how the pages are shown where we are looking at memory mapped physical page >BC, >3C, or >7C.  Post a photo if you find the program.  This will rule out any Rave Speech card issues.  I don't recall what kind, if any, memory expansion you had on your Geneve.

Thanks for pointing to the MEMTEST program, i was searching for somehing like this.

It stops at >BC and then locks up. With the RaveSpeech card in it. (I need to do the modifications as described in the other post)

With the card removed it completes the memtest.

20210825_072549.jpg

20210825_073420.jpg

7 hours ago, 9640News said:

or

It looks like to do with subdirectories.

Also GDM2K gives the error, but not when copying to the root directory.

(Fyi - to makedir in GDM2K use F8. It is not documented in the online Help)

Same for the command prompt it gives the error copying to the directory, but not to the root.

I have not explored all options, but normally I can copy files to directories with wildcards.

20210825_075847.jpg

20210825_080502.jpg

20210825_080522.jpg

20210825_080551.jpg

20210825_080607.jpg

20210825_080747.jpg

20210825_080828.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, globeron said:

Thanks for pointing to the MEMTEST program, i was searching for somehing like this.

It stops at >BC and then locks up. With the RaveSpeech card in it. (I need to do the modifications as described in the other post)

With the card removed it completes the memtest.

20210825_072549.jpg

20210825_073420.jpg

There is a memtest V1.1 as you are using version 1.0.  I just attached the three files I am using.  See if that locks up on page >BC.  If it locks up as well, then there is something wrong hardware wise as well beyond the modification with your Rave setup as it should have just reported an error and continue checking, not lock up.

Beery

MEMTEST MEMTESU MEMTESV

• Like 2

As far as your file copying, I don't know when you created the directory, but the firs time using GDM2K in the second graphic shot, you were copying to DSK6.SOFTWARE.  however the SOFTWARE directory had not been created yet.  That's why you got that error as the empty directory listing on the right side of the screen shows no files or directories.

13 hours ago, 9640News said:

There is a memtest V1.1 as you are using version 1.0.  I just attached the three files I am using.  See if that locks up on page >BC.  If it locks up as well, then there is something wrong hardware wise as well beyond the modification with your Rave setup as it should have just reported an error and continue checking, not lock up.

Beery

MEMTEST 4.63 kB · 5 downloads MEMTESU 15.38 kB · 5 downloads MEMTESV 1.88 kB · 5 downloads

Thank you. This works with Rave speech inserted in PEB.  (I tested first with Abasic.  CALL SAY ("HELLO").

One test with and other without card.

20210825_214044.jpg

20210825_213213.jpg

13 hours ago, 9640News said:

As far as your file copying, I don't know when you created the directory, but the firs time using GDM2K in the second graphic shot, you were copying to DSK6.SOFTWARE.  however the SOFTWARE directory had not been created yet.  That's why you got that error as the empty directory listing on the right side of the screen shows no files or directories.

I need to test more to figure out when I can copy and when not. Sometimes I can copy to a new directory and sometimes not (or only 1 file) and it gives errors.  I used both GDM2K v3.1 and v3.2  

Sometimes cannot copy to the root, but can copy in the directory.

Maybe I remove the batteries one more time, to clean the memory and reseat the Horizon.

Or maybe take out all cards first and see if i can copy between gotek and 3.5 floppies first.

(The Geneve card itself has eprom non-gen mod 1.00).

14 minutes ago, globeron said:

Thank you. This works with Rave speech inserted in PEB.  (I tested first with Abasic.  CALL SAY ("HELLO").

One test with and other without card.

OK, good.  There should be no issue then with your Rave Speech card/hardware then from what I see in the mapping.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, globeron said:

I need to test more to figure out when I can copy and when not. Sometimes I can copy to a new directory and sometimes not (or only 1 file) and it gives errors.  I used both GDM2K v3.1 and v3.2  

Sometimes cannot copy to the root, but can copy in the directory.

Maybe I remove the batteries one more time, to clean the memory and reseat the Horizon.

Or maybe take out all cards first and see if i can copy between gotek and 3.5 floppies first.

(The Geneve card itself has eprom non-gen mod 1.00).

You do not need to pull batteries.  Just use GenCFG and reformat everything.  

Then, for your testing, I would use only GDM2K, latest version.  If you get errors, post pictures of the errors.  Doing things this way will rule out potential improper syntax issues I suspect you are getting from using the COPY command at the MDOS prompt.

Beery

• Like 1

For those of you with a CorComp floppy controller card @GDMike @dhe please try running this program prior to GenCFG and let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

I tested it with my system and GenCFG detects the card as expected.  The explanation is in the Geneve OS development thread.

CCFIX

A more permanent fix will be integrated into the OS at a future date.

• Like 2

The floppy controller detection routine in the Geneve OS works well enough that I incorporated it into GenCFG.  Now, the specific type of floppy controller is displayed during the peripheral scan.  I'll add the same routine to the TI version of CFG at a later date.  I also added the following detection:

1) Speech synthesizer, per the EA manual based on a suggestion from @mizapf in 2019 and requested by a few users to date

2) Genmod 

I have some unfinished, new disk partition format code from June that I will work on this weekend as time permits.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

For those of you with a CorComp floppy controller card @GDMike @dhe please try running this program prior to GenCFG and let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

I tested it with my system and GenCFG detects the card as expected.  The explanation is in the Geneve OS development thread.

CCFIX 384 B · 2 downloads

A more permanent fix will be integrated into the OS at a future date.

20210828_163239.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 10:34 PM, 9640News said:

You do not need to pull batteries.  Just use GenCFG and reformat everything.  

Then, for your testing, I would use only GDM2K, latest version.  If you get errors, post pictures of the errors.  Doing things this way will rule out potential improper syntax issues I suspect you are getting from using the COPY command at the MDOS prompt.

Beery

Hi Beery,

(Install from scratch).

In the video at 12.53min I have the issue copying files.

https://youtu.be/bxyKtVepHbM

I will try tonight again copying by first taking out the batteries.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, globeron said:

Hi Beery,

(Install from scratch).

In the video at 12.53min I have the issue copying files.

https://youtu.be/bxyKtVepHbM

I will try tonight again copying by first taking out the batteries.

I'm copying @InsaneMultitasker to make sure he sees this.

A couple of questions, to rule out a memory issue on your HRD 3000.  If you format your HRD as all RAM-HD, do you start getting errors when trying to copy files?  Just wondering if perhaps the reason you may be getting an error could be some bad ram.  If it is not a ram issue, then it is beyond me as far as what I can do.

Beery

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 3:01 AM, 9640News said:

I'm copying @InsaneMultitasker to make sure he sees this.

A couple of questions, to rule out a memory issue on your HRD 3000.  If you format your HRD as all RAM-HD, do you start getting errors when trying to copy files?  Just wondering if perhaps the reason you may be getting an error could be some bad ram.  If it is not a ram issue, then it is beyond me as far as what I can do.

Beery

@mizapf @9640News @InsaneMultitasker @dhe @F.G. Kaal

Removed batteries, reseated the card. Formatted also as full RamHD.  90% of time copying making directories goes okay with GDM2k  at a certain point making a directory goes okay buy copying fails.

Made a new directory and copying goes okay. (First I thought it had to do with filenames eg. Same directory name as filename).

Tried to rename/delete/makedir the failing directory but still have the issues, so guess it is that ram part ("sectors") failing.

So my guess is also a ram memory / hardware issue.  But looking at the HRD3000 board the chance is very small it is hardware issue ? (just kidding).

20210901_085624.jpg

20210901_073352.jpg

20210901_073404.jpg

20210901_073411.jpg

20210901_073425.jpg

20210901_073436.jpg

20210901_073503.jpg

• Like 1