IGNORED

Looking for IC adapter, but don't know its name

x=usr(1536)

There's a type of IC adapter that I'm looking for but am having zero luck turning up, which is likely down to the fact that I have no idea what they're properly called.

It's essentially a DIP-16 breakout cable.  One end has a socket designed to both accept an IC and plug into a socket on the PCB being worked on (i.e., a male side and a female side); the other end has a matching DIP-16 socket (female only) to act as the breakout.  The basic idea is that the cable can act either as a way to snoop traffic between the PCB and the IC, or as a quick way to test piggybacked ICs.

I know that I've seen these before, and am reasonably certain that they were commercially-manufactured.  If it comes down to it I can build my own, but would prefer to not cobble something together for quality control reasons.

Any ideas?  I've been Googling this for a good chunk of the evening but am getting nowhere.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:10 AM, Mitch said:

I am assuming it is a type of IC test clip. I have always bought the components separately but maybe there are pre-built ones as well.

That's the thing - it wasn't a clip, at least not in the strict sense of the term, though it did have some of the same functionality.

17 hours ago, emerson said:

The male connector can be found in the link below. Maybe the terminology used in this link can help find the male+female connector. You could always solder a socket onto onto one of these if you decide to make you own.

https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine?Keyword=idc+dip+connector&Ns=Pricing|0

Thanks for that - unfortunately, that was also one of the last items I researched before posting the question here ;)

Building my own isn't the end of the world by any means; it just would have been preferable to take something off-the-shelf and run with it.

4 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I would go with something like this and some probe wires.

https://www.amazon.com/Pin-DIP-Test-Clip-Spacing/dp/B08JW7HWHH

OK, dumb question, because I'm probably overlooking something here:

What I'm trying to do is effectively inject the 4050 between the UAV and the A8's PCB in order to get RF modulator output.  But I also want to experiment with using some different 4000-series ICs in place of the 4050 (starting with the 4049) to see what sort of visual effects can be generated.  This will mean swapping chips out somewhat regularly, so having a socket available would be a plus since it would allow for leaving the UAV permanently in place.

With that in mind, is there a better way I could be approaching this?  I remember the types of socket / cable arrangements I was oriignally describing being used to trojan protection ICs on arcade game PCBs in a few cases, but am happy to do it differently if it makes more sense.

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I am not sure you will find an off the shelve solution.  I haven't slept since Sunday, can you draw it?  LOL

Spoiler

Date: Wednesday 8 Oct 2008 12.37pm
To: Jane Gilles
Subject: Re: Overdue account

Dear Jane,I do not have any money so I am sending you this drawing I did of a spider instead. I value the drawing at $233.95 so trust that this settles the matter.
Regards, David

spiderdrawing.gif

I'll come up with something more appropriate when I'm back at the ranch :D

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2021 at 5:32 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

or as a quick way to test piggybacked ICs.

I am not sure what your are thinking of here but generally it would not be a good idea to connect two ICs in parallel. If they are not pin and functionally compatible chaos will ensure as they fight for control of the voltage of a particular pins and if the they are compatible what would be the point.

That aside I may be wrong as I am having trouble visualising what it is you are is wanting to do but I think from a layered structure view it would look like...  

Cable End 1:                                                               Cable End 2:

Cable IC socket (to accept IC)

Cable -------------------------------------------------------------------- IC Socket (to accept IC)

Cable IC socket pins (To plug into PCB mounted IC socket)

I cannot recall seeing something like that, only IC plug at one end and a socket at the other but I think that was made in house rather than an off the shelf item.

If you are planning on swapping ICs often then although expensive compared to a standard socket I would suggest using a ZIF socket.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 11:57 AM, Mitch said:

Are you talking about a wirewrap socket?

Nope, definitely not, though there are a couple of things the extended legs could be useful for.  More:

18 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

I am not sure what your are thinking of here but generally it would not be a good idea to connect two ICs in parallel. If they are not pin and functionally compatible chaos will ensure as they fight for control of the voltage of a particular pins and if the they are compatible what would be the point.

Oh, great, now my dreams are being crushed with reason and logic ?

14 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Mostly, what he said.

Which is fine.  Upon mature reflection (i.e., deciding that this was a dumb idea after reading the comments above), I've decided to go the route of just soldering a socket onto a 4050 and piggybacking the UAV off of it.  I can skip the experimental chip swaps; they were never a huge deal to me to begin with.

One thing I may want to eventually address is remote-mounting of a UAV when I get back to troubleshooting the 5200, but that's probably something I don't need to worry about until late Summer.

• 2 weeks later...